Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

About yourself

General chat and talk about whisky.

About yourself

Postby Aidan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:33 pm

Who is everyone?

I'm Aidan - well I was Christened Aidan, but most people call me by my second name - John. I'm 34, married (for a year and a half now), and living in Dublin. I'm an editor/writer... Interested in whisky, football, skiing, golf...

First go into whisky after visiting the whisky heritage centre in Edinburgh, although I had been drinking it before that.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:26 am

Hi Aidan,
My real name is Sion (but I use Bamber a lot - it was a joke initially), 35 years old. I'm a former physics teacher and former physiotherapist and now do Computer Vision research.

I live in Bristol, with my girlfriend and have drunk whisky since the age of 14 ! but have only been 'into it' for about 3.5 years.

I bleached my hair this morning and look ridiculous :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:05 am

OK...most of you know me already, but here goes...

I use my real name of Mark...turned 44 today :( , married 19 years with three young dominatrixes-in-training...I'm a television producer in New Jersey and produce some damnfool podcast thingy... ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:03 am

Some of you know a bit about me, but I'll try to fill in the details.

I'm Craig, age 35, working as a lawyer in Edmonton after several years of work and graduate school in Japan, unmarried, and evil. I started drinking whisky in 1999 and picked up the pace in Japan, where low taxes on spirits and a healthy salary allowed me to indulge my imagination and explore whatever realms my palate could handle. I took a couple of years off of whisky to focus on shochu (distilled spirits that come from rice, sweet potato, buckwheat, barley, etc.) and nihonshu (rice wine).

When I'm not working I write, cook, and train. Now that I'm in Alberta, I should probably get back into fly-fishing. Don't get me started on sports.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:09 am

My name is Scott and I am new to the forums here. I am 37. I live in Virginia just outside of Washington, DC and I work for the US Government. Please don't hold that against me.

I have been a whiskey drinker for several years now and I like bourbon, Canadian, Irish and Scotch. Bourbon was my choice but I am becoming more of a Scotch drinker now.

Last summer I visited the Tennessee distilleries and this summer I will visit all the Kentucky disilleries. Next year I am planning on a trip to Scotland.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:29 am

I'm Dave - 42 and getting older by the minute, married with 2 kids who luckily don't get what all the Whisky fuss is all about.

I'm a retired Jazz Drummer - who shaved off the beard and pony-tail and went "corporate" in the late '80's... I'm now in the Institutional Money Management biz (pension plans, foundations, corporate, etc.). Some of my clients really like Whisky too!!! :D 8)

I got into Whisky at the tail-end of a trip my wife and I took to Europe in '94 (the duty-free samples at Gatwick as we were heading home). First purchases: a Dalwhinnie 15 and a Lagavulin 16. (I had worked in some Pubs in London in '84/'85 - but was still then recovering from prior Southern Comfort indulgences.) Business trips to Alberta started to fuel the passion and the collection.

The collection led to Robbie Burns Dinners, etc. - where friends would love to attack and compare as many bottles as possible in my collection... turning it back into a handful of near empty bottles :cry: and from there those same friends and I formed the West Coast Whisky Society in early 2003. I get to call myself the President. 8)

Since then our "club" has grown - our events have grown (having now organized several Jim Murray Tastings) and we've developed some strong bonds with various distilleries. Some of us have banded together to buy a few casks (mostly to dream and for "bragging rights") ... and the collection continues to grow.

We have all made some great friendships along the way. It's a warm and friendly community: Whisky People. We have had some solid guidance and mentorship from none other than Lawrence himself - initially as a result of connecting through this forum. Some of our now-members have found our club - as a result of this forum too. For those heading to the Victoria Whisky Festival - you'll get an appreciation for Sir Lawrence then...

If you ever find a reason to visit Vancouver (like, say, the 2010 Winter Olympics) - let me know. We'll roll out the West Coast Whisky Society Red Carpet.

Oh yeah - and I tend to ramble on a lot... :oops:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:11 pm

I am an attorney who recently gave up the law firm life (thank god) to spend more time at home with my two year old daughter. I will try to put a pic here and see if it works. (it didnt--how do you do this??):I have been married for five years. plus i am an identical twin, which provides much fodder for jokes.

Pat
[/img]
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:03 am

Are you sure you're an identical twin? I thought it was your brother.
Deactivated Member

Postby bernstein » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:05 pm

Okay, why shouldn’t I tell you a little bit more about myself? I’m 42 years old, married for seven years now to the most wonderful woman on earth and father of a baby son (10 weeks old - geez, the kid is growing so fast…). I grew up in a little village close to the dutch-german border, not too far away from the banks of the river Rhine. The very first sip of whisky I tasted was a Glenlivet 12yo after an exhausting, but still unforgetable winter hiking trip through the Caingorm Mountains in 1985. I was tired, dirty, and quite proud to have survived this expedition - what a snow-storm it was! – and the Glenlivet just told me, this is how water of life tastes like.
I’ve studied protestant (that is Calvinistic and Lutheran) theology and religious sciences in Germany and abroad (Philly’s still a love of mine and I just loved to punt the river Cam in Cambridge/UK… ). I’m still very thankful to my father, who just gave me the chance to see some of the most wonderful parts of the world (I even came close to Kenora/CDN!) It’s been a long time now, grey hairs inhabit my pericranium – and I’m a boring pastor now serving to a rural, but very lovable Lutheran parish in the Eifel region of Germany close to the Belgian border. I’m into (more or less serious) Malt-tasting for the last couple of years now and just happy to have found this global community of malt-lovers. I really enjoy the company of you all – and wish you all the very best - whereever you are!
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Thorleif » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm Thorleif, live outside Stockholm Sweden 39 yrs young.
I fix broken computers and networks for a living.
Have been into single malts for 10 years, and been to a few
distilleries in scotland. My very favorite is Ardbeg.

My good Norwegian friend Erik, has painted a very nice map of Scotland.
check it out at http://www.thescottishdistilleriesmap.com/ !

btw, how can I get linked to from this site?

Cheers
Thorleif

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:07 pm

I'm Jim, 44yo, and married for almost 17 years(first marriage for both of us), no children. We raise miniature horses between our full time jobs and they are our family. We don't have any for sale right now, so I don't feel pushy by telling our website, if anyone has any curiosity. http://www.weelittleminis.com Let us know what you think of it.

I grew up in northern Indiana with a passion for playing music (guitar, bass, drums). I still play some around the house and write and record "relationship" songs. My wife was born in France, lived in Germany for awhile before moving back to the States( Air Force Brat, one day we'll go back so she can show me where and detour through Scotland). We met at a Halloween party in 1987 and have been together ever since. She is a School teacher and has "raised" hudreds of kids through the years, so they feel like family, also. I worked my way up in the factory that my dad retired from, he was a train engineer, with my brother. I've done office work, machinist work, lab work, but this job gives me the chance to improve product quality and I enjoy it. It has a scenic view in the mountains, so it's a nice drive to work. We work 4 days on, 4 off, so my time is scattered out through the week sometimes and I sit home alone on this board more than I should, or taking care of the farm, unless I'm out on a bottle run.:wink:

This Single Malt thing became my latest passion purely by accident and has hit me like a tidal wave and I'm swimming as fast as I can to stay above water. Loving every minute and really enjoy this community. I resisted at first this "about yourself" topic until I started reading some others' and just feel it's a good thing. I guess I thought the mystery kept out any prejudice, but now I see that you're all good people(except for a couple trollers) and I don't find too many like-minded 'drammers where I live.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby GreyArea » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:19 pm

I'm James Campbell Andrew. Currently approaching 39, married since '92. Programmer/sysadmin. Live in England, half Scottish by blood.
Ironically introduced to whisky by my wife!

Jim
GreyArea
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:35 am

(but I use Bamber a lot - it was a joke initially),

Wouldn't be that song Terry Jones sings about traffic lights, would it? :D
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:38 pm

I'm 44 and Tim is (somewhat boringly) my real name. "Eelbrook" is the street where I live in Milton Keynes, England.

My wife and I got married, as 'babies'. in 1985 and are still very much together. We've one daughter (aka the 'wallet emptier') and two gorgeous kittens.

My 'good lady' is Head of Year at a local secondary school. My daughter's in the Sixth Form at the same place.

I work for H M Revenue & Customs (formerly H M Customs & Excise in my case). Not something that I mention to any distillers that I meet!

Got into whisky about 5 years ago. Have since sampled the wares of 111 Scottish distilleries (working and closed), plus various Irish, Japanese & North American 'offerings'.

Hobbie include 'fun running' (to marathon distance), watching football (and sometimes ice hockey) and dramming. Plus I love to read about the history of whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby bernstein » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:27 pm

eelbrook wrote:I'm 44 and Tim is (somewhat boringly) my real name. "Eelbrook" is the street where I live in Milton Keynes, England.

Milton Keynes - this is the place where I held several Lutheran services back in 1993/94. Christ the Cornerstone that's the name of the central church, isn't it?. Nice place, this Milton Keynes. Interesting history as well. I loved to drive all the way from Cambridge. Memories...

P.S. I used to drink my Glenlivet with Soda back then. :roll:
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:24 am

Go forth and sin no more, my son... ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:12 pm

Bernstein

Christ the Cornerstone is indeed the Central Milton Keynes inter-denominational church.

But I don't exactly have a season ticket to it.

Still, there must surely be a God. After all, we've whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby ikendal » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:29 pm

Hi all,

ikendal relates to Ian. Married with two children, one nearly 7 and the other four tomorrow. (Happy birthday you) number three is one the way and to those who have read my other posts will know it is due very soon. Incidentally I have not bought tickets for whisky live.
I am a primary school teacher (deputy head) and please do not make comment about my poor English skills as this is my leisure time and I never check my work. My wife is also a teacher.
Whisky for me has been a life journey. At college (Liverpool) I drank beer followed by Balviennie (congac bottle) We used to pretend we were posh. This was often interceded with bushmills (Irish friends).
My seven brothers also drink a lot of whisky and it occurred to us that we could hold a whisky night (1995). This led to about 20 bottles turning up on the table, and a huge joint of steak for the barbeque, oh and a little water. glasses were etched. and the tradition began. There has been an (almost) annual gathering of the 'Kendals' every year since - each of us with a whisky in hand - If it is not good enough we are sent away. to be fair no one has.

Within the family I am the one who has taken this passion to the extreme - a collection that is too big for the wallet - an obsessive relationship with the whisky magazine- I squirrel my self away until it is read. And a constant desire to buy casks to 'bottle my own' we now own two barrels. an Arran and a 'laddie

I contribute to the forums when my workload is light or there is a dead line pressing. but I very much enjoy reading everyone contributions so keep them coming

Anyway back to my studies - sorry for the ramble

Ian
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby Grass Snake » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:16 pm

I'm Joe, from near Manchester in the UK. 26 years old and got into whisky about 6 years ago when me and a couple fo friends bought a bottle of lagavulin 16 on holiday
Grass Snake

Postby Cam » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:21 pm

Hello everyone. I've just registered and thought it best to introduce myself here. My name is Alan Campbell, age 54, married 28 years, three children, two grand children. I work for a pulp and paper company here on the West Coast of Canada. Outside of work I grow and propagate rhododendrons.

I'm newer to this computer than I am to drinking :). I enjoy dry wines of most any sort, rum (bacardi), Canadian whisky ( Crown Royal), and Irish (Jamieson).

I am looking to learn more about single malt scotch. Began drinking scotch many years ago as a defense to people pilfering liquor out of any available bottles at house parties, scotch never seemed to attract the thieves. My scotch of choice back then was Glenfiddich. I still drink it as an 'everyday' drink. Over the last three or four years I have been drawn to Glenlivet 15, Dalwhinne 15, Glenmorangie (sherry), and just new to Balvenie 12. I have tried Laphroaig 10 and Talisker 10 but didn't care for either. Perhaps this is due to an uneducated tongue, but this has caused me to stay wide of Island malts. Looking forward to trying an Oban and a Macallan.

Have lots of questions but there is a lot of reading to do on this site so I'll not bore everyone with them unless I can't find them already answered.

Have a good day.

Al
Cam

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:38 pm

Hi Cam - welcome aboard. Hopefully you are already aware of the Victoria Single Malt Club... and of the news that spread like wildfire at the Victoria Whisky Festival...

FYI: Wendy posted the news about the new distillery opening on the Island:

This may seem more of an announcement than anything else, but a new Canadian Distillery has opened on Vancouver Island called SHELTER POINT DISTILLERY. Although they didn't have any whisky to bring to their table, the new distillery was being represented at the Consumer Tasting. I find this quite exciting news and of course something to look forward to in perhaps 2010! Lawrence, do you know what taste profile, the distillery is aiming for?

The timing should line up well with the Winter Olympics over on our side of the pond...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Cam » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:24 am

Hi WestVanDave,

By the time I became aware of the Victoria Whisky Festival taking place it was all sold out. If this is to be an annual affair I'll sign up now for next year.

I am aware of the Victoria Single Malt Club. Their web-site makes mention of it being mandatory for members to attend a minimum of 5 of their 11 meetings a year. Initially that seems like an easy thing to do but my work schedule would have me miss at least half of the meetings in a year. That leaves me with only 5 1/2 meetings in which to attend barring weather, family obligations, karma.

Shelter Point Distilleries, yes I've heard of it being proposed in the Comox area. Two hours away from me. Looking forward to it.
Cam

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:56 pm

Hi everyone,
I've just found this topic so I guess I should formally introduce myself:

My real name is Keith and have been living in Germany, near to Munich for just over 7 years now.
I have collected whisky for more than 10 years and have a personal collection currently numbering 331 bottles.

My collection and also some of my efforts at Landscape and Natural photography may be found on my personal website:
http://www.whisky-emporium.com
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:10 am

Welcome WH, I briefly visited your site and look around, some nice bottles indeed.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:25 am

Welcome, Keith...I'll add a link to your site from the WhiskyCast links page.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:32 am

Hi Lawrence and Mark, many thanks for your welcome, most appreciated.

Also thanks for the Link!
I am quite proud of my collection and go to a lot of trouble to try and keep it well presented.
Would you like a link in return Mark?

If you have a specific logo, font size-style or colour then send me details and I'll add you to my Whisky-Emporium links.

Regards,
Keith
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:00 pm

Thanks...if you'll let me know what image size works for you, I'll tweak the logo to fit and send you a .jpg file...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:03 am

eelbrook wrote:I work for H M Revenue & Customs. Not something that I mention to any distillers that I meet!

You and me both mate! Although I'm on the former IR side :cry:

I'm Scott, I'm 22 and been drinking/collecting for just under 2 years. I have an unhealthy obession about Saab's, and I'm also a drummer (fully-graded may I add!).
My girlfriend and I have been together for 2 years, looking to move to Perthshire after she has qualified as a Sustainability Officer (good £££, equals more whisky! 8) )
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Choochoo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:05 pm

My real name is Dave. I’m 30yo, married, and live right outside of Hartford, Connecticut (a small city that’s an easy commute to Boston or NYC). I sit at a desk, & stare at a computer during the day, analyzing financial data, and writing reports. I play bass and sing in a rock band as a hobby. Very much into odd and somewhat obscure music. I like “arty” films, follow a few sport teams (Boston Celtics & Red Sox), enjoy running, I’m quite a slow runner but still do a 5k race 2-3 times a year just to keep me honest. I’ve been very interested in single malts and a few other premium sprits for a bit over a year now & show no signs of slowing down any time soon.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:34 am

There is no easy commute to Boston or NYC! Or Hartford, either, for that matter.
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:44 am

Yes, yes - The Mass Pike from Hartford to Boston is somewhat trying.

But, Hartford to NYC is really easy. I go 30 minutes south to New Haven, pay 30 bucks or so, and take a nice relaxed round trip train ride into Grand Central. Very easy and you end up only about a block away from Park Ave Liquors!
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Simplicio » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:56 pm

My earlier entry disappeared, so ...

I am a Canadian, early forties, who has taught English in China for the past five years. I'm married and have a small daughter. I studied philosophy in university.

I used to drink blended scotch, but somehow found it impossible to continue after trying single malts; I'm sure everyone here will understand. As malt goes into blends, I suppose I have in fact been unknowingly drinking all sort of malts for years and years ... It took me a long while to discover SMSW because nobody I knew (or still know) drank the stuff, or even, for all I know, was even aware that it existed. My father has drunk Crown Royal and nothing else all his life, (and it was surely the first spirit I ever drank). My friends all drank beer, or, in one case, Jameson's. As well, I was never very interested in any other premium drink category and was very dubious about spending money on expensive drinks with obscure names.

I think it was the advertising for Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, in the eighties, that made me aware of malt whisky in the beginning. I had been drinking scotch for years, and suddenly was made aware that, despite what I had thought, I hadn't really been drinking scotch at all ...

After trying Glenlivet 12 and Glenkinchie 10, I read about Laphroaig. It was described as peaty, phenolic and medicinal, and smelt of gauze ... I was hooked on it even before I tried it!

My other "hobbies" are reading (don't ask me what, I'm sure it'll bore everybody!) and writing.

Oh yes: "Simplicio" is the name of one of the characters in Galileo's dialogue "Two World Systems".

The quote below means something like "There's no arguing about matters of taste".
Simplicio

Postby Les Paul » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:35 am

My name is Jordan and I live in Northwest Ohio. I'm 24 years old and I have been drinking Scotch for less than 1 year. I study General Business at Bowling Green State University....I have just a few classes to take to graduate. I am very passionate about music and sound and want to pursue a career in consulting specializing in high end music systems.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Eightball » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:16 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Matthew and I live in Ypsilanti, Michigan (pronounced Ip-si-lanti. I have been drinking whisky since 2003 and have a website online called SCOTCH NOTED. Please visit at http://www.scotchnoted.com

Les Paul- Do you know who paul Stanley is? He is one of the lead singers in the band called Kiss. He has a guitar collection and he uses a Les Paul guitar...among many others. I'm a big Kiss fan!

Anyways, I got my schooling at Eastern Michigan University studying Public Safety and currently am working as a Home Health Aide. I live with my dad and believe that family should come first. My favorite whisky is OB Glenlivet Archive 21 year old and really am going to try to get to Whisky Live New Yorrk 2007. I also like Dalmore any age statement. For those going to Whisky Live this year HAVE FUN. Bye Bye for now.
Eightball

Postby Choochoo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:26 pm

You wanted the best – you got the best. The Hottest Band in the Land!:

KIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :D :D
Choochoo
Silver Member

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder