Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

About yourself

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Frodo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:41 pm

To distant lands,
Takes both my hands,
Never a frown,
With Golden Brown.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Kiss and Whisky

Postby Eightball » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:08 pm

Yo,

I'm listening to a song called "Reason dto Live" by Kiss. Wish I had a dram of Ardbeg....there is a good bar where I live with pool tables. Maybe they have Glenlivet 12yo- that seems to be the standard to go by here in Michigan. Most stores around here always carry either Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. Maybe this weekend I'll see if it's still hopping. 8)
Eightball

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:15 pm

Allright, I'll join in there:
A nice shot of bourbon (Evan Williams Single Barrel 1995) and loud on the stereo:

Get Up!
Everybody's gonna' move their feet
Get Down!
Everybody's gonna' leave their seat

In my opinion from the best Kiss album ever, "Destroyer"

Cheers..and rock loud!! :twisted:

Postby Les Paul » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:53 am

Eightball wrote:Les Paul- Do you know who paul Stanley is? He is one of the lead singers in the band called Kiss. He has a guitar collection and he uses a Les Paul guitar...among many others. I'm a big Kiss fan!

Yes I know who Paul Stanley is. Unfortunately I am not a big Kiss fan. I enjoy the following rock artists/bands:

Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
The Who
The Rolling Stones
The Eagles
Sigur Ros
Dire Straits
Jimi Hendrix
Radiohead
Alice in Chains

i'm also a huge classical and jazz fan....how old are you Eightball?
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:29 am

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permenent.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Les Paul » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:46 am

Frodo wrote:No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permenent.

Great song. I love Rush. Subdivisions is a great song.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Eightball » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:31 am

Les Paul,

I'm 27- and I love the Who! Not so big on Jimmy Hendrix as I think he is over played. At my High School it was the in thing to listen to the Doors and Jimmy Hendrix. I do like the Beatles a little...but my favorite is the Who.

TEEN AGE WASTELAND! 8)
Eightball

Postby Choochoo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:58 pm

Great, a music discussion! – So who listens to Captain Beefheart? What’s your favorite Beefheart album? (Mine’s a toss up between Bat Chain Puller & Spotlight Kid)

How about Can (the super-awesome Krautrock gods)? I have that 72’ concert from Cologne on DVD, fun stuff.

Are any of you partial to Pere Ubu? I listened to there first two albums a lot in college.

How about favorite overall band? My sentimental choice is Roxy Music, but I’d give the vote for “Best Band Ever” to Fairport Convention, how about you?
Choochoo
Silver Member

Music Discussion

Postby Eightball » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:51 pm

Choo Choo,

With all respect to your post....I haven't heard of any of those bands. Are they local?
Eightball

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:03 pm

I grew up in the midwest listening to: Rush, KISS, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, UFO, Ted Nugent, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest. Seen some of them live or on Don Kirschners' Rock Concert or Midnight Special.

1973-1976 were good years for heavy rock. KISS went through too many changes for me to keep up with and I lost interest when I got older anyway.
I actually like alot of different kinds of music. Scotch has gotten me into Celtic in a big way: Loreena Mckinnett, Karan Casey, Solas. I like to explore Reggae, Island and Jazz, too. I've been known to pick up my guitar and play Copperhead Road by Steve Earle, the one about Moonshine bootleggers. :wink:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:14 pm

Hey 8-ball - Not local, just somewhat obscure.

Captain Beefheart played with Frank Zappa in the 60’s. Very arty bluesy fun music, sounds like Tom Waits playing with Little Feat. His album The Spotlight Kid is really good, great slide guitar and odd rhythms.

Can is a band from Germany. Very Experimental & hugely influential – but also quite strange.

Pere Ubu is from Cleveland, there first two albums are from the the early punk rock school but are very strange and artistic

Fairport Convention is a legendary British “folk-rock” band.

Actually, on a KISS related note, my first concert ever was Ace Frehley (Frehley’s Comet) back in 86’ (in Springfield, MA), and I was Peter Criss for Halloween that same year.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Eightball » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:33 pm

That's very cool. I know how obscure some of those german rock bands can be. I can remember a spoof on Sat. Night Live about the "Trout Dance." It was somewhat like the YMCA but you had to hop around like a fish. Do you rember Dita's Dance Party? Anyways it was hillarious.

I know of Frehley's Comet but have never heard any of their music. I know Kiss has had their problems with lead guitarists and Drummers and they own (Gene and Paul) the rights to the make up. I think once Ace left the band they changed the character to a Fox. That's really creative that you dressed up like Peter Criss. He was such a good drummer- I think he left the band because he didn't like the rock 'n' roll lifestyle and he was married. He did come back for the last tour, however, but I heard that he had lost alot of his energy.
Eightball

Postby Choochoo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:47 pm

I think I saw Peter and Ace play with KISS, it was on the Psycho Circus tour which I thought was the original line-up. Either way it was a very fun show & a great performance.

Yes, Dita's Dance Party from Sprockets - that was funny. I think they were dancing to Kraftwerk (another German band I'm a big fan of).
Choochoo
Silver Member

Sprockets/Rock/Metal

Postby Eightball » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:11 pm

All I know is they were jumping up and down with their hands clapped over their head...much like a trout does when it is caught in a fishermans line. They had another song called "Wierd Nun." It was so rediculous. I'm really into German Metal. I can't name any bands but one of them is on the tip of my tounge....They've had a hit in the States a while back but I can't remember. Ah, yes, the son was called Du Hast Mich. In any event I think German music is cool. Is most of it Rock/Metal? I have to say I like English bands like Iron Maiden and Ozzy alot, too. and yes, I like Megadeth. Any takers on this one?
Eightball

Postby Mr Ellen » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:27 pm

R A M M S T E I N

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Cheers

Postby Eightball » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:42 pm

Yes Rammstein. Very good band there....for all you metal heads :P
Eightball

Postby Les Paul » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:13 am

I enjoy listening to Opeth. 8)
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:20 am

Hey Chooch, I never heard much of Can, but I've run across Holger Czukay more than once. I was into all the prog-rock as a lad, and aside from the big names (Yes, Genesis, Crimson) delved into a lot of weirdness (Tangerine Dream, Soft Machine, Hatfield & The North, Henry Cow, Art Bears, Residents), and still satisfy that part of my musical soul with Dead Can Dance, David Sylvian, Steve Tibbetts, Jon Hassell, and others. But it's more and more of the folkie stuff these days--and not what Americans usually mean by that, i.e. a singer-songwriter with a guitar. Fairport are for sure one of the classics, and Richard Thompson is one of the very top talents of our time. The Northumbrian piper Kathryn Tickell is another English fave, and I enjoy Scots bands Old Blind Dogs, Battlefield Band, Proclaimers, and others. I also enjoy a lot of music from Brittany and the Nordic countries; many of the artists start with a very traditional Celtic or Scandinavian base, but are adventurous enough for me to think of them as prog-trad. Some of my faves are Dan Ar Braz, Alain Pennec, Soig Siberil, and Alan Stivell (Brittany); Väsen (Sweden); Annbjorg Lien and Bukkene Bruse (Norway); Värttina, Maria Kalaniemi, and Gjallarhorn (Finland). Among my favorite Canucks are Stan Rogers, Natalie MacMaster, Loreena McKennit, and Daniel Lanois.

Uh...what was the name of this thread?
Deactivated Member

Postby Choochoo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:36 pm

Very interesting, Mr. T. We probably could have a good music discussion. My own “world music” pursuits have been heavily focused towards Africa & South America, but it’s high time for me to give attention to other artists with a “Celtic or Scandinavian base”. Thanks for the list of faves, I’ll look further into those.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:42 pm

Choochoo, check out http://www.noside.com for Nordic artists. There are of course links to the various artists' websites as well. They have released three samplers that they advertise as "cheaper than food"--you can hardly go wrong for the price.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:09 pm

My cousin is a pretty well-know Irish accordian player - Conor Kean e. I've never got to see him in concert, but I have heard him play lots of times at the weddings, funerals and wakes of our family.

I also like the uilleann pipes. Seamus Ennis was brilliant, although I've heard all too little of his recordings. Davie Spillanne is great when he's playing the right stuff.

Anyway, I'd like to get to know more Scottish music, although I had the pleasure of hearnign Isibeal from Bowmore sing. I love Richard Thompson - for me, a vastly superior guitarist to Eric Clapton.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Iain » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:18 pm

Henry Cow!

That brings back memories Mr T :shock:
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby ianbanks » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:59 am

Hello

I am in Ireland for a few days and will be attending my first irish music concert (session) with a friend who is doing her thesis on the evolution of irich and celtic music. that is not the title but it is along those lines. I am looking forward to it. Ido not know what the band I am gong to see is called.I report on what I think.

ain
ianbanks

Postby kljostad » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:47 pm

Interesting to read about you guys.

What about myself? I am a 33 year-old corporate whore; I work with sales in a huge american software company. When I am not busy selling my soul for money, I enjoy cooking, music, hiking, football and whiskey. I have a passion for standup comedy, and I have written texts for several Norwegian comedians.

I live in the middle of a Norwegian fjord, in a place called Nesodden, just outside Oslo. Five years ago, I met the perfect woman. We share all the same interests. She even loves heavy metal and football! We have been living together since we met, and we are eagerly waiting for our first-born. We are expecting him to arrive late in July.

The first time I really discovered whiskey, was about two years ago. I was visiting a frriend in Belfast, and he offered me a whiskey. It was a Lagavullin Destillers Edition Cask Strength. I loved every sip of it, but has not been able to find that exact edition again anywhere. Ever since, I have had a passion for single malt, with a special care for the Islay destilleries.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:39 pm

Welcome

I'm just behind you. Expecting my first in August. I hope it all goes well for you.
Aidan

Postby MGillespie » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:22 am

Congratulations, guys...hope everything goes well for you and your wives!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:58 am

Thanks Mark. I'm sure it will impact on our whisky drinking, but...
Aidan

Postby Jan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:43 am

Well, about time I posted here I guess.

I’m Jan, matured 33 years and living in Copenhagen Denmark. I’m a bookseller by profession, specializing in import/non-fiction. I enjoy reading, mostly lighter litterature; thrillers, sci-fi, fantasy etc. I also enjoy rock music from 70’s classics over 80’s bands like Metallica, Anthrax etc. to modern metal a’la Rammstein…

I’m living with my girlfriend, whom I will marry in May next year.

I have enjoyed whisky for quite a few years, but only got bitten by the bug in the autumn of 2004, where on a trip, I used my duty-free ration to buy liter bottles of Laphroaig & Talisker to supplement the Lagavulin already in the drinks cabinet. Shortly thereafter I discovered this forum and the rest is history as they say.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:55 am

Aidan wrote:Thanks Mark. I'm sure it will impact on our whisky drinking, but...

Well, it has in fact already inpacted my whiskey-drinking, but in a positive way. You see, back when my girlfriend still enjoyed the occtational alcholic beverage, wine used to be the preferred choice. But now I can drink what I want, so wine has been degraded to number two on my list over preferred drink. But mind you, I still preferr a glass of Barolo over a pint of beer.

Congratulations to you to, Aidan! We both have exciting times ahead. I hope all goes well for you and the missus.
kljostad
Bronze Member

Greetings!

Postby Richiyaado » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:46 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and am enjoying reading through the threads.

I live in New Orleans, but had an extended "vacation" in Houston recently.

Though I've long enjoyed Bourbon, I'm less experienced with Scotch... am learning, though.

Unfortunately, I lost all my Bourbons (around 12 bottles or so) during the recent difficulty, but am replacing them slowly (started with my favorite... Woodford Reserve). I'm adding a few bottles of Scotch as I go, as well.

I work at a small ad agency located in the French Quarter, where I pretend to have some idea of how to reach armor-plated consumers. Otherwise, I enjoy music a great deal, and this is STILL a great town for that (Jazzfest in two weeks). My wife is from Japan, and we visit her family at least once a year. We just returned from a two-week trip, and were lucky enough to be there during cherry-blossom season. On the way, I bought some Knob Creek and Jim Beam Black in the Duty Free to give as gifts, and picked up some JW Black and a Glenlivet 18yo on the way back.
Richiyaado

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:50 pm

Welcome to the forum Richiyaado :)
Good to know New Orleans is recovering again!

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby MGillespie » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:32 am

Amen to that...welcome!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby parvus » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:00 am

Warm greetings to you.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Richiyaado » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:51 am

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not sure we've reached the recovery stage quite yet, though we may be nearing the end of the "Where the heck does this leave us?" stage. Recovery depends upon a host of factors, and we just don't have enough in the way of reliable indicators of where we're headed.

Plenty to contemplate over an evening pour (or dram). Next time we evacuate, though, I'm certainly going to take a few of my favorite whiskies along! :wink:

Edited to add: For anyone interested, there's going to be a nationally-televised mayoral debate tomorrow night, moderated by Chris Matthews of "Hardball" fame. The seven major candidates will participate (there are many others running, but they're mostly cranks). I'll be watching with my wee glass of Ardbeg in hand (really like that stuff). And, since undoubtedly there's going to be a runoff due to the peculiarities of Louisiana election law, there will be a later debate between the runoff candidates moderated by NBC's Brian Williams.
Richiyaado

About yourself

Postby Bob & Jill » Tue May 09, 2006 7:34 am

About yourself

I just recently saw this discussion and found it most interesting to learn about who we all are talking to and getting advise from. There are about 24 replies of forum members telling us who they are and how they got into whisky tasting.

Nobody has written since 17 April and I for one would like to hear from a lot more members, especially the Bronze, Silver, and Gold ones who write most frequently on the forum: hpulley, Scotchio, C_I, Muskrat Portage, Spirit of Islay, Mr. TattieHeid, Lawrence, Frodo, ScotchBlog, Nock, Chieftan, IrishWhiskeyChaser, Corbusco, Admiral, Wendy, Mr.Ellen, Kallaskander, Mr.Fjeld, Lord Pfaffin, etc. Can you give us a few lines?
Jill
Bob & Jill
Bob & Jill

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder