Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

About yourself

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue May 09, 2006 10:09 am

Hi Bob & Jill!
The reason why no posts appear with dates after the 17 of April is because everything after that date was lost when Matt replaced deleted information with a backup. Everything written after that was lost because of some idiot who hacked the forums.

Anyway, I am Christian and whisky is my passion - and it has been for the relatively short time of a year and a half. It was Jonathan who persuaded me to try the Ardbeg Ten and it's gone uphill ever since. I've had whisky before of course as I started rather early with Ballantine's, Glenfiddich, and Chivas before that in the late eighties and early nineties. But I also had a break from single malts mostly filled with wine and Cognac. Strangely enough I almost never drink wine anymore and mostly concentrate on whisky and beer. I love this forum and the persons making it what it is.

Cheers!

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 09, 2006 3:14 pm

Now B&J, you know I hate to talk about myself.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

There are others here who simply don't feel comfortable about getting personal in this space, for whatever reason, and I think we have to respect that.
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Tue May 09, 2006 5:31 pm

About myself, huh? Well, I'm 38 years old and moved from Massachusetts to Seattle, to be with my girlfriend, about 1.5 years ago. I guess my love for my better half was (I mean, is :oops: ) stronger than that for whisky as I had a far better selection of single malts available to me back east. With the exception of missing friends and family, I haven't regretted the move at all.

I'm a Behavior Analyst and I do research and clinical work concerning autism with the University of Washington. On weekends, I do research and clinical work concerning whisky as often as I can (which is not as often as I'd like).

My first real experience with single malts was the occasional tiny sips of Glenfarclas with my uncle when I was just a wee little one. A dram of Macallan 18yo when I was in Edinburgh in 1998 is the one that really heightened my interest. Many drams with Mr TH, much Tullamore Dew with Bob, and the fun and camaraderie of these forums has turned my dramming into a true pleasure. Thanks, all!

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 09, 2006 6:07 pm

He only hangs with Bob and me so he can Analyse our Behavior. (Analyze our Behaviour?) Any results yet, Ron?
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Tue May 09, 2006 6:25 pm

Oh, God- that would take a whole other thread, maybe even a dedicated forum. Whisky Analysis and Therapy, perhaps? :wink:
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Tue May 09, 2006 11:02 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:He only hangs with Bob and me so he can Analyse our Behavior. (Analyze our Behaviour?) Any results yet, Ron?

Pre-test & Post-test?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed May 10, 2006 6:04 am

As everyone else here I know Mr T. is familiar with Ron - but with all due respect, maybe we should keep the joking out of this thread so possible new members to this forum isn't scared off. If people chose to be personal enough to tell a little about themselves maybe we should respect that and be cautious with the joking? Just a thought (sorry about the nannying) .

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby rthomson » Wed May 10, 2006 6:36 am

You're right in saying that we should be careful that conversations don't become so self-involved that others are deterred from joining in them. The informality of these forums is one of the great attractions for me, but I wouldn't want it to get to the point that others don't feel involved. I enjoy a good ribbing, and vice versa, from those I know personally and from those I've grown to know via these forums but if it does discourage participation from others I would feel bad about it. Some humor and inside jokes are OK but if it goes too far then it's helpful to get direct feedback from others.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed May 10, 2006 10:02 am

In answer to Jill's prompt,
Aged 38, married to a beautiful brown eyed girl with 3 kids aged 6, 7 and 10,2 boys.
Primary school teacher currently looking for supply work having quit a full time job in Devon to allow my wife follow a new career.
Living in Hereford and still feeling like an outsider, someone described this place as the biggest village on earth and it certainly feels that way at present.
Beyond whisky I have a big interest in music of all forms and I play guitar and piano.
I had the belief that I would write some children's stories and put together a music set in the free time I currently have but domestic duties seem to be getting in the way. Seems to me the more time I have the less I achieve so roll on fuller employment.
Steve
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 10, 2006 5:03 pm

Point taken, Christian. I think the Word Association thread has some of us a bit giddy...as if I need the provocation!
Deactivated Member

Musky Pete

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed May 10, 2006 7:23 pm

Bob & Jill, you ask a good question. So...

I'm Peter and I live in Kenora (once referred to as Muskrat Portage) at the western end of Ontario, where I work for the Provincial Police as a civilian. I have worked 24 years in the civil service, including a stint in Corrections and another in Courts' Administration. I met my wife in jail... we were both employees. We've been married 23 years and have a daughter (20) in University.

I studied Fine Art at University and then switched to Sociology when employment opportunities in art were revealed to be nonexistent.

I collect whisky because I enjoy the variety of flavours and how they can vary even in the same bottle over time. I have a decent collection built up and am now just trying to maintain it at this level. I am a model railroader and really have taken a Steam Drivers' course on the Bluebell Railway.

I help organise whisky tastings twice a year for a group of whisky lovers and find the information here in the forum to be very timely and extensive in scope. The posters are free with their knowledge and truly a special group to anonymously interact with.

It is a privelege to be allowed to participate here and I strongly dislike people being "flamed" in forums. Kudos to Whisky Magazine for sponsoring this clearinghouse of knowledge. Let's not abuse it. Nuff said?
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Bob & Jill » Sat May 13, 2006 6:36 am

Thanks Aidan for starting this ABOUT YOURSELF discussion and also the STICKY: A WHERE ARE YOU MAP --- I just discovered it the other night. I guess I never saw it because it was first at the top of the list. The same is true about the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS organized by Jan (it’s almost a better place to start than the Forum Index). I never noticed that one because it is in fine print at the top of the Forums list. I guess I’m just too eager and want to jump right into the middle of things (and in doing so miss some important stuff).

Anyway, it’s nice to get to know the people on the Forum and seeing where many live on a world map (and getting to see a photo if they post one) is an added touch. I even discovered a Forum member not more than 50 miles from us when I posted our location on the map.

Mr Fjeld said earlier: “The reason why no posts appear with dates after the 17 of April is because everything after that date was lost when Matt replaced deleted information with a backup. Everything written after that was lost because of some idiot who hacked the forums. “

I find it unfortunate that some or many? of the posting were lost on this discussion. And I noticed that Simplicio said: “My earlier entry disappeared, so ... “, perhaps other entries that disappeared could be resubmitted?

Well, I’ll have to finish up writing ours and post it soon.

Jill
Bob & Jill
Bob & Jill

A Post by yours truly

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Sun May 14, 2006 4:35 am

I'm not sure if this post says anything directly about me but, I had to post a note now so it could be Post #44,444! Slainte!
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

About yourself

Postby Bob & Jill » Thu May 25, 2006 11:44 pm

Hi, We’re Bob and Jill, both retired biologists. But right off, I wonder if we belong here. I notice that the average age of forum members thus far posted is only 35.4 years—I’m twice that! (Bob speaking). And the range of ages is from 24 to 54 years (standard deviation of 8.35—sorry about that, but I was once a biostatistician and I just had to say that). However, like it or not, we’re going to hang around the whisky forum because we continue to learn a lot from the less mature age crowd.

Jill and I were married in 1971, just before Jill received here Masters degree studying baboons in East Africa. My doctorate work was conducted in the Teton National Park of Wyoming (where I could mountain climb when not studying wildlife). We’re both still healthy and active, and, although I don’t run marathons or climb mountains anymore, a few years back Jill and I paddled the Grand Canyon in a tandem open canoe, and we continued to win awards in whitewater slalom canoe racing. Canoeing (and arguing over which is the best Scotch) have now become our favorite hobbies. This year will be our 24th year of paddling somewhere in northern Canada (alone, just the two of us) during most of the month of September.

I started with Scotch while enjoying an occasional drink well before entering college, when I worked as a lineman constructing steel towers. I made good money back then (in the 50s) and drank Chevis Regal. When I went to college I had to step down to the cheapest stuff I could find. After college, when again there was some income, I remained rather frugal and drank Johnny Walker Red. But I often perused that upper shelf, the one near the ceiling, where there was a long row of Scotch with strange names, and, as if trying to hide from somebody, were packaged in austere looking boxes, some square and some cylindrical. It wasn’t until a fellow canoeing friend of ours had us join him in a glass of Laphroaig that Jill and I discovered single malt—alas, what else is there say?
Bob
Bob & Jill
Bob & Jill

About yourself

Postby Bob & Jill » Thu May 25, 2006 11:50 pm

Hey, wait a minute. There is something else to say (Jill speaking): ): I’m Jill, age 59, and I have been the one writing on the forum (after Bob & I discuss what we want to say).

Bob forgot to mention the fun really began with whisky tasting when we took four Islays on a 3-week canoeing trip last Sept. Our goal was to determine which was the best---we failed. They were all good, but all that smoky peat soon confused our taste buds. However, we did conclude that there’s more than “one best” single malt. Now we keep a cabinet of about 14 open bottles.

I’d like to mention an other hobby that Bob overlooked. Like WhiskyHammer, we are into nature photography. (Keith, your website displaying your photos is great). I’d like to develop a site for ours someday. There is a site for the little known sport of slalom canoe racing: http://users.bestweb.net/~canoeing/2005nat/index.htm.
By the way, Muskrat Portage, we like your choice of name. It reminds us of all the portages both pleasant and grueling we have carried over all these paddling years.
Jill
Bob & Jill
Bob & Jill

Re: About yourself

Postby MGillespie » Fri May 26, 2006 1:53 am

Bob & Jill wrote:Jill and I were married in 1971, just before Jill received here Masters degree studying baboons in East Africa.

Is anyone else thinking what I am...that studying baboons makes her the perfect person to observe this forum? ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri May 26, 2006 3:13 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri May 26, 2006 2:09 pm

Hi All I posted on this before but it must have been during the dreaded hack attack and all is deleted :cry:

Anyway my name is Adrian 35 next month so I was born the same year Bob & Jill got married, well done guys that is wonderful. I'm based in beautiful Galway in the west of Ireland but not originally from this part of the country. I work in the dreaded IT industry and slightly bored of it at the moment. I have a great partner who is also my bestfriend but she barely puts up with my whiskey obsession. However no kids as of yet but her indoors has me to contend with :wink:

As my moniker suggests I am mad about Irish whiskey and have been embibing the Irish version of the water of life just shy of 20 years having started regularly drinking at the age of 17. Although that seems like a very young age I did form an early respect for Whiskey from my grandfather. I have an extensive collection of Irish whiskey which grew from the purchase of a fairly cheap millenium edition of Bushmills. I only really took a decent interest in scotch, bourbon and other world whiskies in the last 2 years so I still have a lot to learn but love it all.

I love music, especially rock from the seventies (Deep Purple, Led Zep, Hendrix, Rush, Yes, Queen etc just to name a few), but I also enjoy live Irish trad sessions down the pub and also partial to 'best of...' classical compilations. I play guitar (badly) and try my hand at writing songs.

Into Hill walking, Football( Soccer) squash, racketball & Badminton. However I will be out of action for 6 months after rupturing my achilles tendon. Like to watch GAA / Gaelic Football & Hurling our national sports (don't ask ??? google it, it's easier) and premiership football. Can't wait for the FIFA World Cup the greatest sporting show on earth 8)

Cooking, Home DIY and drivng in the country side make up the rest of my interests.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 30, 2006 2:45 pm

Hi everyone,
many of you already know me but I decided to take "Malt-Teaser" for my more general posts and leave my other ID for more business oriented replies and help.
Deactivated Member

Postby Arebee » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:09 pm

What a wonderful forum this is! So much to learn.

I'm 37, married with two wonderful daughters 2 and 6 years-old and live in smoke-free Connecticut USA.

I've been drinking Single Malts for about 10 years now and although I enjoy Scotch from all regions, I always seem to gravitate towards the Islays. Laphroaig 10 was my first Single Malt and it will always be near and dear to my heart. I enjoy the official bottlings as well as the independent bottlings as well. I enjoy all sports, cigars, Scotch and watching TV.

My most recent purchases were Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength and Talisker 18.

Looking forward to learning and contributing.
Arebee

Postby Bob & Jill » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:18 pm

Arebee,
Welcome and nice to hear from another Islay preferrer. Laphroaig 10 was also our first Single Malt and it too will remain near and dear to the heart.
Jill
Bob & Jill
Bob & Jill

Postby Arebee » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:17 pm

Bob & Jill wrote:Arebee,
Welcome and nice to hear from another Islay preferrer. Laphroaig 10 was also our first Single Malt and it too will remain near and dear to the heart.
Jill
Bob & Jill

Thanks for the warm welcome Jill (and Bob). Every malt I've tried since drew immediate comparisons to the Laph 10 and it was never equalled in my eyes, not even by the Laph 15. The Laph Quarter Cask changed that!
Arebee

Postby Bob & Jill » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:27 pm

Arebee,
We have been hearing a lot of good things about Laph Quarter Cask on the Forum and it’s nice to get your recommendation too. It is definitely on our next to try list.
Jill

Bob & Jill
Bob & Jill

Postby Arebee » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:08 pm

Bob & Jill wrote:Arebee,
We have been hearing a lot of good things about Laph Quarter Cask on the Forum and it’s nice to get your recommendation too. It is definitely on our next to try list.
Jill

Bob & Jill

I had a few drams of it last night at a Cajun BBQ cigar dinner. Fantatsic pairing with both the Cajun spices and full bodied cigars.
Arebee

Re: About yourself

Postby WHISKYNOSE » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Aidan wrote:Who is everyone?

I'm Aidan - well I was Christened Aidan, but most people call me by my second name - John. I'm 34, married (for a year and a half now), and living in Dublin. I'm an editor/writer... Interested in whisky, football, skiing, golf...

First go into whisky after visiting the whisky heritage centre in Edinburgh, although I had been drinking it before that.

=========================================

My name is David I'm 52 years old and married since 17th of february 2003 with my stunning wife.

I picked the nickname because my friends always call me nose (I seem to have a big one).

Began drinking whisky at around 1976 with a friend by starting to make our own whisky i.c. two parts of an blended and one part of Southern Comfort, it was smashing then.
In 1990 I went to Scotland for the first time (with a close couple I knew, and kept doing so for the next ten years ,on my own, I was still single then). It was propably in Glasgow I ever tasted a Malt Whisky, it was grant
I did several walks, mostly The West Highland Way (5 times) but several others also.
During them walks you come to several small villages where there is nothing other to do then going to the pub at night, that's the way I learned about Scotch Malt Whisky.

My first book on Malts is from Michael Jackson (The Whisky Almanak - in Dutch)
I like to collect books about Whisky, do have about 25 now and there are still 21 on my list to have (4 off them will be new releases, coming to the end of this year)
WHISKYNOSE

Postby Jan » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:32 pm

Hello Whiskynose

Welcome to the forums - may you spend an enjoyable & educational time here.

I'm also partial to whisky books - I do not collect them as such, but have 10 by now and have just ordered three more... (Whiskymen, Whisky Classified & one about whisky marketing (can't remember the title right now))

Have you found out more about the Maclean book? Sounds interesting, his books is usually quite good...

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby goldenprimrose » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:40 am

Hello fellow drammers,

My name is Ian. Late 30's. Married. Estimator for a construction company.

Born in the Fair City and lived in the Lang Toon for 21 years, but now living in S.E. London. I tell you it's tough being an exiled Scot down here at the moment - St. Georges Flags everywhere. So I've decided to lock myself away in a darkened room with a few cases of malt until this World Cup thing finishes, or at least until England get knocked out of it and life returns to normal.

Still have a property back in Perthshire, approx. 3 miles from the Tullibardine distillery. I remember that we used to have weekly training in the Maltings just round the corner from the distillery (next to the Hotel)back in the Mid 1980's before the distillery was mothballed. I played a few games of football for the team in Blackford then. The headroom in the Maltings was very low and you had to be careful not to hit your head on the steel joists that were supporting the concrete floors. Back then the distillery must have had long silent periods as the Maltings were only ever used occasionally.

I get back home quite frequently and always manage to pick up a bottle or two on my travels.

I got "into" whisky through my Dad really. He always liked a dram, however he preferred blends to malts. Later on though - he appreciated a good single malt.

Over the cousrse of the last few years I have managed to acquire a good few bottles. Far too many for the wife though - running out of stoarge space. I have no particular preferences, as I am happy to try anything and generally base my decision on the mood I am in at that particular time. I have found though that I do tend to gravitate towards one of the Islays or Campbeltowns, particularly if i have had a busy day at work. I enjoy having a few drams with friends and often have a whisky evening/session with some Irish mates of mine.

I am a member of the SMWS (for 5 years now). Have been to to the London Members Room a couple of times. I assume that some of you who post on here must live in the London area? Let me know who you are and we can meet up one evening and have a dram or two.

Tend to buy most of my wares from the SMWS (some good bottlings every now and then) or from one of the many good stockists based in London.

Outside the world of whisky, my main interests are golf, rugby and reading.

Good active forum with plenty of interesting thoughts and debate - from a personal perspective it's always interesting to note what people outside of Scotland think of our country, people and it's whisky.

Lastly, going off at a tangent here I have a friend coming over from Texas in September for a week. We are primarily going to have a few rounds of golf and I have earmarked a day in Speyside to drive round the whisky trail. Which distillery gives the best tour? - I have heard good reports on Balvenie. Obviously, I would be looking for something more substantive than the usual tourist dross. Will probably stop off at Edradour on the way back down the A-9 also.

That's it. Keep the chat flowing.
Cheers.
goldenprimrose

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:05 am

Welcome to the forum Whiskynose and Goldenprimrose, glad tp know a bit about you both, I hope we see more of your posts in the future.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:16 am

Welcome guys (Whiskynose and Goldenprimrose) and don't be afraid to get stuck in here :wink:

GP I reckon from reports on this forum the Balvenie as you have guessed would be the best substantive tour.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby ryoma » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:28 pm

Finally I get around to introduce myself here. :wink:

My name is Martin and I am 34 years old, married since 1998. Our son Eric is now 4 1/2 years old.
I am swiss and living near the city of Basel and working in the international logistics business.
I have lived in Japan for several years studying Japanese and later I have worked in the Sales Dept. of a japanese company in Tokyo.
BTW, my wife is Japanese!:D Therefore I frequently go back to Japan for family visits (aprox. once a year). Next time I have to get my hands on one of these great japanese single malts! I have heard that there are a few marvellous out there!

I am fairly new to the world of whisky. Actually it started around February 2006. This November I will attend my first whisky tasting organized by a good wine and whisky shop and importer here in Basel: http://www.ullrich.ch
So far I can say that I don't like the smoky stuff :oops: I am more on the fruity, winy side.
ryoma

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:17 pm

Welcome Ryoma, hope you have many hours of fun on these forums and many happy years ahead of tasting the multitude of Whiskies available from around the world.

Feel free to get stuck in and ask as many questions as you like no matter how small or trivial they may seem. We all are learning all the time. However if you peruse the 'Questions & Answers' Forum you may find that alot of them are already answered.

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3474
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Lawrence » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:30 pm

Welcome to the forum ryoma, don't forget about the Swiss branch of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, you can find details at http://www.smws.ch/

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:51 am

Les Paul- Do you know who paul Stanley is? He is one of the lead singers in the band called Kiss. He has a guitar collection and he uses a Les Paul guitar...among many others. I'm a big Kiss fan!

I'm not a Kiss fan either but they put on one heck of a show! I got to see them in concert back in 1975, which kinda tells you how old I am. :wink:

Hello!
My name is Tom, age 48 and I'm a Control Room Operator at a power plant (non-nuclear). I am divorced and without children which leaves me time to happily pursue my greater hobbies, collecting & drinking fine single-malts, music from the sweetest sounds of Mozart to the brutal metal of Hatebreed and traveling abroad. I've been to Scotland 4 times and have traveled extensively throughout Scotland in my own sort of 'whisky trails' and so far I've visited & toured some 22 distilleries from Highland Park in Kirkwall to (Isle of) Arran near Lochranza and hoping to make it back some time to do an extensive tour through Speyside (Islay was this year! :mrgreen: ), next year is set aside for Japan. :D

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:46 pm

Wave, I'm not sure if I had a chance to welcome you to the forum so, welcome!

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:56 pm

Wave wrote:My name is Tom, age 48 and I'm a Control Room Operator at a power plant (non-nuclear).

D'oh!
Deactivated Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder