Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Strange things happen

General chat and talk about whisky.

Strange things happen

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:35 am

Hi there,

on Jeroen´s wonderful website I just read the following

http://www.theherald.co.uk/business/54836.html

It seems to say that Mr Walsh of Diageo just became Vice Chairman of the SWA, Scotch Whisky Association.

Of all things he talks of Quote "Walsh also spoke of the importance for the industry to "protect the integrity of the product" by clamping down on counterfeiters and those involved in producing contraband "whisky".
The Diageo chief claimed that about "one in 10 bottles sold (in emerging markets) is counterfeit".
It is such a big issue for the industry, that the major distillers – such as Diageo, Pernod, Moet Hennessey and others – are collaborating to collectively fund teams whose sole aim is to track down and eradicate counterfeiters.
For example, Burrows said they currently have a dedicated team of 30 people in China focused on stamping out the fakers.
Walsh said it was a serious branding issue for distillers, because "some of these products are horrible".
Gavin Hewitt, chief executive of the SWA, said the fake whisky products could also be a public health issue, calling them "dangerous".
Similarly, he said counterfeiters that use the "Scotch whisky" badge to sell their illegal products were constantly being pursued by SWA lawyers.
"I've got five lawyers in my team who do nothing but protect Scotch whisky … and at any given day of the year they are prosecuting 50 cases around the world," Hewitt said.
The Scotch Whisky Association has recruited two of the industry's heavy-hitters to its board, with Richard Burrows, joint managing director of Pernod Ricard, and Paul Walsh, chief executive of Diageo, becoming chairman and vice chairman respectively.
Burrows succeeds Ian Good, chairman of Famous Grouse-maker Edrington Group, who led the influential lobbying organisation for five years as chairman.
The Pernod Ricard man, who oversees the spirits group's stable of Chivas Brothers whisky brands, said: "(Scotch whisky) is an industry that is at the point of some renaissance.
"We are now looking at growth in Scotch whisky again. I believe this growth is not a flash in the pan – if we look after it carefully."
He and Walsh emphasised the need for the industry to keep pushing into the "emerging markets" of China, India, Taiwan, Russia, Thailand and Brazil, because this is where future growth is going to come from.
Walsh also spoke of the importance for the industry to "protect the integrity of the product" by clamping down on counterfeiters and those involved in producing contraband "whisky".
The Diageo chief claimed that about "one in 10 bottles sold (in emerging markets) is counterfeit".
It is such a big issue for the industry, that the major distillers – such as Diageo, Pernod, Moet Hennessey and others – are collaborating to collectively fund teams whose sole aim is to track down and eradicate counterfeiters." Unquote.

Of course Mr walsh is not personally responsible for the Cardhu incident, or is he? But to me it seemed to be a case of making the sheep that ate the cabbage deputy head gardener on first reading. I hasten to add that making the malt Cardhu a vatted malt or blended malt, whichever, is not counterfeiting it. At least not exactly.

Am I seeing things too narrow, is my horizon not wide enough?

It may well be have many advantages of having Diageos CEO on the SWA, to know exactly what they might be I do not now the works and machinations of that body well enough.
It can also have many shortcomings and here my imagination is vivid enough to think of a few.

Comments?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Photon » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:16 pm

C_I wrote: You would not die or go blind from a bottle of vatted Cardhu,

Says You. :P

Seriously though, I agree with everyting you said. Every industry, drinks included, has an interest in protecting its customer base, both existing and potential

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:31 pm

C_I wrote:Remember that most of the current hyped distilleries (Bruichladdich, Bladnoch, Springbank, Arran) are not a member of this group.

Raymond will be over the moon to hear he's hyped , but i'm sure that's not the word he would use ! LOL!!! :lol: :wink:

Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:01 am

Hi there,

I have heard a leading person of one of the hyped distilleries say, that "the SWA is owned by Diageo". That a company which ownes how many, about 50 distilleries in Scotland, has a certain influence and justified interest in being a member of the SWA is not an issue. What struck me was the passage about "protect the integrity of the product" which was put into the context of counterfeiting and fraud only. What got my feathers up was that the integrity of Cardhu as a single malt, as expressed in its appearence (bottle, package, colours writing) was missused deliberately by Diageo to create a new pruduct that was designed to pose as the single malt of that name at a cursory glance. That did not amuse me.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder