Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Shannon, Ireland Airport Duty-Free Question

General chat and talk about whisky.

Shannon, Ireland Airport Duty-Free Question

Postby SoldierJoe » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:46 am

Hello All,

I am an American and will be flying through Shannon soon. Could anyone on the board give me information concerning pricing or selection of single malts available there? Scotch prices in the U.S. have been climbing in recent years and I would like to bring a couple bottles back.

I'm specifically interested in any Islay offerings, selections unavailable in the U.S. or just a great deal that someone may have seen recently. Thanks so much in advance.

Joe
SoldierJoe

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:44 pm

Hi Joe

I'm afraid you won't find a very good selection of scotch there at all, but it's a long time since I've been there.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:25 pm

Hi there,

I do not know about Shannon in particular but go looking for Irish whiskies. I can tell you it is less frustrating. :wink:

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:54 pm

Wasn't Shannon in Neighbours?
Deactivated Member

I'm interested in Irish malts too

Postby SoldierJoe » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:46 am

All,

Thanks for the input. I was in the Shannon Airport @ 3 yrs ago after a vacation trip on the Western Coast, but wasn't looking to buy at the time. Maybe you could mention a few of your favorite Irish single malts too. I've really only tried Bushmills Green in the past. Thanks.

Joe
SoldierJoe

Postby Badmonkey » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:20 am

Hey Joe,

One Irish single-malt I recommend is Connemara Cask Strength. Whether you can find it in the airport is another issue entirely.

If you are interested in a delicious pure pot-still whisky, try Redbreast, a whisky that is as warm a hug of barley and spice as you can find. Green Spot is another superb example of pot still whisky, one which contrasts sharply with Redbreast. It has a little more mint and menthol and less spice.

Good luck on your search.
Last edited by Badmonkey on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:17 am

Hi there,

the Tyrconnell is said to become better and better as more mature whiskey is used to make it.
What you should be looking for also are the Redbreast 12 and 15 years and the Greenspot. They are the remaining pure pot still whiskies that are sold on a wider scale. There is or better was a 15 year old Jameson pure pot still, but I think that has its price nowadays.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder