Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Welcome back WM Forum!

General chat and talk about whisky.

Welcome back WM Forum!

Postby bernstein » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:40 pm

It was indeed quite disturbing to see this strange and dull message since Saturday night on these boards...
I'm just glad, that we're back! Many thanks to Matt and his colleagues for fixing this impudent attack on our beloved WM-Forum.
Coming from the world of religion myself, I know how mad some people may get over issues of religion. But this stupid attack of 02/18 was another sign of malicious abuse of religion for criminal or just personal and selfish reasons.
I have some Muslim friends myself and got into the study of Muslim Religion and Philosophy in Philly back in the 80's - I'm still filled with awe and respect for their (and our common) cultural achievements.
The more I'm angry and furious about this kind of selfrighteousness and violence. If this wasn't just a dull camouflage of an ordinary hacker attack...

Bernie
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:57 pm

Bernie, I think that's exactly what it was...just a dull camouflage of an ordinary hacker attack. The forum software WM and many other sites use is very popular for hackers to try and exploit, and I suspect the jerks who did this tried to pass themselves off as Muslims to deflect attention in another direction should the authorities investigate. Had it been an actual attack by Muslim extremists, I think they would have tried to take down the entire site rather than just the forums.

You'll notice a different look to the forums these days...that's because Matt rushed in and installed the latest hacker-protected upgrades to the forum software. Great response, Matt!!!

Mark
Last edited by MGillespie on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:58 pm

And think of it this way, Bernie...now you get to go Gold again! ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:06 pm

MGillespie wrote:And think of it this way, Bernie...now you get to go Gold again! ;)

Mark

...and you will get a 'Millenium Man' again! :D Great!
Hey, coming to think about it, that means I will actually get two Bruichladdich XVII's from Matt? :wink: :D
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:32 pm

I agree that the "Muslim" angle was likely just a malicious dodge. In any case, it boggles my mind that someone out there is smart enough to be able to do something like this, and stupid enough to actually do it.

Mature people build things; two-year-olds knock things down.

Now...if you guys think I'm going to congratulate you again.... :roll:
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:11 pm

bernstein wrote:Hey, coming to think about it, that means I will actually get two Bruichladdich XVII's from Matt? :wink: :D

Uhhh...I suspect Matt needed to consume at least one of those Bruichladdichs to deal with the stress of fixing this weekend's damage! ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Jan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:17 pm

Sighh... two posts from becoming bronze member :D

Oh well, compared to you guys, I'm a babe in the woods...

Good work Matt, getting the forums back up & running.

As for the actual deed - I think Mr. TH said it very well...

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby ikendal » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:47 pm

thanks Matt,
I was busy writing an essay on Sunday and really needed some distraction. and lo and behold, no forum. Thanks for getting it going again.

I also agree with the thought above, It is unlikely it was religiously motivated and I feel it is an even poorer reflection on the cowards who did this to try and divert attention elsewhere. Like the quote MrTattieHeid

However I know many a grown man who likes to knock things down, Me included, all for fun though.
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:27 pm

I was just about to send an answer to Jan as one category after the other just disapeared in front of my eyes. My first thought was that Matt or someone else at WM would do some maintenance but then I saw this ugly message staring at me and realized that it was time for....another whisky!
I agree with all of the above and hope that it won't happen again.
Keep up the good work guys...you're all terrific and a great source of inspiration!!

Cheers

Welcome Back!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:00 pm

Placed this in the wrong forum, sorry:
Matt:
"So glad that you have the forum up and running again. Looks better with the new facelift you've given it. Wish I'd been able to do something on Feb 18 at 12:18 other than send an email.
Maybe Bernie could arrange a plague of locusts on the guilty parties."
Bruce said it well:
"Mature people build things; two-year-olds knock things down."
It was frustrating to watch the forums drop like dominoes and be unable to stop what was going on. I doubt the immature little borderline personality realises that his actions are not to be considered praiseworthy. Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby parvus » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:06 am

Nice work on rescuing the forums Matt. I hope the upgrade didn't cost too much?

Keep up the great work.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:15 am

Thanks guys n girls :lol:

Could someone tell the me the time when things started to dissappear, will save me searching the entire 600Mb log file.
Matt2

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:03 pm

Hello Matt,

I was sitting in front of my computer at around 1900 local time in Sweden on the evening of the 18th which is around 1800 U.K. time as one forum index after the other disapeared in fron of my eyes. I was writing an answer which I saved in my own library cos it was rejected as I was about to submit it. So if you start at around 1800 I think that will save you some time. I am quite sure nobody else was logged in at the time.
Hopes this will help a little.

Regards

Postby ikendal » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:54 pm

bernstein wrote:
MGillespie wrote:And think of it this way, Bernie...now you get to go Gold again! ;)

Mark

...and you will get a 'Millenium Man' again! :D Great!
Hey, coming to think about it, that means I will actually get two Bruichladdich XVII's from Matt? :wink: :D

How do you get one Bruichladdich XVII from matt? :wink: :wink:
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:20 pm

Find out who hacked his website!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:11 pm

I wasn't far off my 100 when not alone my posts were wiped but my profile too...

I was thinking it was a malicious Single Malter trying to keep us Irish lovers off the boards ......

:lol:

Just joking guys.... ye are all too nice on this Forum to do anything like that.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:42 am

Hi All - just got back from Barcelona - saw that message on the forum before I left and was hoping Matt had backed up the database somewhere ....

Good job Matt.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:18 am

:D Free bottle of something nice to whoever strings up the little hackers by their @$#"£$%&.

Post the photos here :wink:
Matt2

Postby parvus » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:41 am

Do you have logs of the event Matt? Did they just get in and do a drop on all of the tables?
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi Parvus,

Got all the logs and IP addresses involved. It was a 'script kiddie' style hack that takes no skill or knowledge. They just download a script from a web site run it and login as an Administrator. The forum software had some major bugs in it (and I should have upgraded sometime ago).

Something to do with an Italian charms web site who regularly hack forums and place hidden links to their dodgy shop online. I emailed their network provider, hosting provider, Google and CERT. Haven't had a reply from anyone yet....

Matt
Matt2

Postby MGillespie » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:00 pm

Wonder if the Italian police might be interested...maybe there's some EU agreement on enforcing this stuff?
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Reward for hackers?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:33 pm

Matt:
Maybe there should be some sort of reward offered for whoever catches and prosecutes the hacker(s). I've gotta unopened bottle or two I might be interested in donating to the cause... Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder