Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A very Sad Whisky STory

General chat and talk about whisky.

A very Sad Whisky STory

Postby patrick dicaprio » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:31 pm

Oh the Humanity!!!:

Whisky cargo goes up in flames on German highway Fri Feb 24, 9:44 AM ET

A shipment of Scotch whisky went up in flames on a highway in southern Germany when a tyre on the truck carrying it to Greece burst.

The 51-year-old British driver smelled burning and disconnected the trailer of the truck just before the tyre burst in the early hours of the morning.

The whisky bottles broke and the highly flammable liquid caught fire, giving off a cloud of smoke and a strong odour of drink.

"The air smelled strongly of whisky and the flames could be seen from far away," a policeman in the southern city of Nuremberg said.

The damage is estimated at about 200,000 euros (240,000 dollars).
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Sad sad story

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:53 pm

Y'know, sometimes the Germans have a problem and burn whisky rather than drink it. No offense meant Bernie. They bombed at least one distillery during the last Great Unpleasantness. (By mistake I understand) ... and bombed the pub in Plaxtol, Kent. Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:50 am

I wonder what whisky it was. Alcohol is only flammable above 140 proof. In the States anything above 70% alcohol can not go on a plane because of that reason. There are a lot of Bacardi 151 rum bottles confiscated at the airport.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:29 am

I occasionally flambè desserts with Cognac and that's rarely above 40% .
I don't think it releases enough alcoholic fumes to ignite but it's no problem setting it on fire if you use an open flame. Maybe you mean fumes of higher proof alcohol?

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:50 am

Hi there,

the radio news for the area said that the brakes of the trailer got stuck and overheated. They set the whole trailer on fire and that is enough heat to burst the bottles and the resulting fumes of alcohol burn no matter how high the abv.

They did not state what kind of whisky it was.

NÜRNBERG: Ein mit Whisky beladener Lkw ist am Autobahnkreuz Nürnberg-Ost ausgebrannt. Der Fahrer war auf der A6 von Pilsen kommend in Richtung München abgebogen, als er Rauch an seinem Fahrzeug bemerkte. Heißgelaufene Bremsen hatten den Anhänger in Brand gesetzt.

The truck came from Pilsen, Tschek Republic? That is not the most direct way from Scotland to Greece I`d say.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Re: Sad sad story

Postby Elliot » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:14 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Y'know, sometimes the Germans have a problem and burn whisky rather than drink it. No offense meant Bernie. They bombed at least one distillery during the last Great Unpleasantness. (By mistake I understand) ... and bombed the pub in Plaxtol, Kent. Musky P.

Shhhhh....Don't mention the war! :lol:

Anyway, I'm wondering if they were still required to pay tax on the destroyed stock as it was already bottled and being shipped.
Elliot
Bronze Member

Burning whisky

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:27 am

Elliot: Oops! :D :D :D Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:18 am

Hi there,

me too do not want to talk about the ugly 1000 years between 1933 and 1945. I heard that there were fireworks over Germany as well, now and then. No need to be hush hush about those sad years. And no doubt about who started this one. But let us be happy an merry that it did not last 1000 years. Slainte.

kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:18 pm

Elliot wrote:Anyway, I'm wondering if they were still required to pay tax on the destroyed stock as it was already bottled and being shipped.

That would depend if the whisky was still "under bond". If so, the tax was to be paid by the importer before the whisky were being sold.

In that case I would guess that there is no tax to be paid on the lost truckload.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby bernstein » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Elliot wrote:Shhhhh....Don't mention the war! :lol:

And wasn't it Basil Fawlty as well who gave us these immortal lines: “Oh German! I thought there was something wrong with you.” One of my favourites! :wink:

The Ministry of Silly Walks
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:07 pm

Too many bombs and not enough smacks in the mouth! Whisky always solves problems one way or another :lol:
This is indeed a tragic event. Even the angels would get singed nose hairs 8)
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder