Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Meeting a Tequila Rep

General chat and talk about whisky.

Meeting a Tequila Rep

Postby Frodo » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:21 am

Interesting little story:

I was running some errands on Wednesday when I spies a car with "4 Copas Tequila" logos all over it. I've tried 4 Copas Blanco a number of times at the Bayview LCBO and thought highly of it - suprising since it was $70 cdn for an unaged spirit. Worth it IMHO.

Anyway, the dude driving the car noticed me looking at the logos, and asked me if I've tried 4 Copas tequila. When I responded that I have and liked it, he gave me his buisiness card, and offered to do a tasting for me and any friends I could get together.

Disapointed in that I thought he was going to give me some free samples, I put my mind to thinking about his offer. I don't think any friends of mine would appretiate being invited to a tasting where 3 small samples (Blanco, Reposado, and Anjeo) were offered as well as a 30 minute spiel about the brand he represents.

I'm thinking that the only way this would work is to put on my own tasting of Tequila/Mezcal and have his products supplement mine. Perhaps start the evening with Tequila 101 (how its made, how you get different flavours) followed by an overview of his distillery - 4 Copas is a brand - followed by a tasting.

Dunno. Still thinking about it though.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby Choochoo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:31 pm

That sounds like a very interesting tasting. I spent a few summers getting into premium tequilas, & that interest ended up leading me onto single malts (now a full-blown obsession), so I always feel a little indebted to the sometimes maligned Spirit from Mexico.

I’ve thought at times of setting up a tasting of three Blanco’s, three Reposado’s, and three Anjeo’s of different brands. However, When suggesting this idea people have looked at me like I have three heads, or suggest that such an event would be no more than an invitation to spend the rest of the night emptying their stomach into the nearest receptacle. Oh well. :cry:

Anyway, one odd thing about tequila is that on most occasions I don’t drink it neat. I do like blanco neat, but mainly when it’s out of the freezer and very, very cold. Reposado and Anjeo I often doctor up with a little Grand Marnier and a quick squeeze of lime. I’m curious if there is a universally accepted way for “aficionados” to take their tequila. How do you enjoy drinking yours?
Choochoo
Silver Member
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: West Hartford, CT

Postby Frodo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:04 am

Choochoo wrote:I’ve thought at times of setting up a tasting of three Blanco’s, three Reposado’s, and three Anjeo’s of different brands. However, When suggesting this idea people have looked at me like I have three heads, or suggest that such an event would be no more than an invitation to spend the rest of the night emptying their stomach into the nearest receptacle. Oh well. :cry:

I’m curious if there is a universally accepted way for “aficionados” to take their tequila. How do you enjoy drinking yours?


1) Premium tequila has to overcome the image of fratboys downing shots of Cuervo gold, and then being very sorry in the morning. There are so many good things to enjoy about GOOD tequila, but that is not what tequila is known for. Trying to ask people to keep an open mind on the subject (and ultimatly) to challange preconceived notions of what tequila is REALLY about (a cultural expression of distillery art) is an uphill battle to put it mildly.

2) Enthusiests drink theirs neat! I do! Would you mix a shot of 30yr Glenfiddich with some ginsing and Dr. Pepper? Why not??? Same goes for not mixing good tequila - I would say, same goes for any distilate that is made with TLC although I don't "get" good vodka.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:19 am

I know it's a whisky forum, Frodo, but I do hope you'll continue to write about your tequila adventures. Premium tequila can be as refined and complex as any whisky, and I know of no finer drink in the summer heat. We have a fairly limited selection available out in these parts, I regret to say. The Herradura is always a treat, and I have been seeing more and more Cabo Wabo on the shelves. Sammy must have bought a new cactus farm.
Badmonkey
Gold Member
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:08 am
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Postby Frodo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:07 pm

Badmonkey wrote:I know it's a whisky forum, Frodo, but I do hope you'll continue to write about your tequila adventures... The Herradura is always a treat, and I have been seeing more and more Cabo Wabo on the shelves...


1) Will try. I am planning a tequila tasting in 6-12 months, so we'll see how that goes. Unfortunatly, the LCBO has a poor selection of premium tequila (no doubt reflecting demand), so I tend not to buy the stuff here instead relying on family comming back from mexican vacations.

2) Herradurra is considered a benchmark of good tequila by many. Haven't had it in a long time, so I really can't comment.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby Frodo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:36 pm

Badmonkey wrote:Premium tequila can be as refined and complex as any whisky, and I know of no finer drink in the summer heat.


I always associate tequila with summer for some reason. I think it's the citrus in the tequila. Just like south shore Islay or bourbon in the winter.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby Frodo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:53 pm

Choochoo wrote:That sounds like a very interesting tasting. I spent a few summers getting into premium tequilas, & that interest ended up leading me onto single malts (now a full-blown obsession)...


That's how I got into scotch as well! I guess the jump from Anjeo tequila to whisky isn't so big as the oak has a large say in both styles...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:44 pm

Frodo wrote:Premium tequila has to overcome the image of fratboys downing shots of Cuervo gold, and then being very sorry in the morning.


Now, that's just ridiculous, Frodo. Fratboys are never sorry about anything!
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:39 am

Frodo wrote:
Badmonkey wrote:
2) Herradurra is considered a benchmark of good tequila by many. Haven't had it in a long time, so I really can't comment.


Herradurra is a fantastic tequila. You can't go wrong with that brand. Corazon is very good to.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:28 am
Location: United States

Postby Choochoo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:58 pm

With warmer weather this weekend, I decided to get reacquainted with tequila. I really enjoyed trying the Blanco again– with almost no aging, the flavors are really bold, very fun, I had forgotten how much I like them

Sampling the reposado and anjeo, the flavors became more mello and rounded, offering more subtleties. If I ever have a tasting, I may consider starting with older expressions and work down to younger as to not overwhelm the subtleties that come with more aging.

However, after going through many samples neat, I went back and doctored up a few with a splash of Cointreu and a very quick squeeze of lime. Sorry to say, I enjoyed these samples much more. I can appreciate tequila neat on a cerebral level, but for pure enjoyment & relaxing on a hot day, I enjoy the doctored up “margarita” version much more. I guess I have to turn my tequila enthusiast card into the authorities immediately. :oops:
Choochoo
Silver Member
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: West Hartford, CT

Postby Frodo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:57 pm

Choochoo wrote:However, after going through many samples neat, I went back and doctored up a few with a splash of Cointreu and a very quick squeeze of lime. Sorry to say, I enjoyed these samples much more. I can appreciate tequila neat on a cerebral level, but for pure enjoyment & relaxing on a hot day, I enjoy the doctored up “margarita” version much more. I guess I have to turn my tequila enthusiast card into the authorities immediately. :oops:


No one'll arrest ya! We likes it how we likes it!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby Choochoo » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:45 pm

"No one'll arrest ya! We likes it how we likes it!"

That's true. Cointreau/lime is still a big step up from store bought pre-mixed margarita slop. If having a mixed drink, which is somewhat rare, I'll still at least use quality ingredients.

There are 4 or 5 Mexican restaurants in my area that offer a wide selection of tequila. It's a shock to see how many of those pemium tequila's end up served drowned in a sugary margarita mix.

Poor tequila - much maligned and often abused.
Choochoo
Silver Member
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: West Hartford, CT

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:32 am

There's a bar in Tokyo's Roppongi district called Agave that sports well over 400 brands of tequila behind the bar, any one of which the bartender will be happy to throw into your margarita. Choochoo, I know where you are coming from, because a well-made margarita is a fine, fine beverage.

Anyone here ever try Chinaco or Conquistador?
Badmonkey
Gold Member
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:08 am
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

Postby Frodo » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:00 pm

I've had a mini of Conquistador Anjeo.

Someone on Mumpsimous forum said he felt anjeos should be divided into two catagories: cognac-like and a style where the agave shares major presence with the oak. I would agree, and put Conquistador Anjeo in the first style. Very good, probably really expensive.

Re: Chinaco, I've heard a lot of diverging opinions about that one on Mumpsimous.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2472
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:22 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Postby MGillespie » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:19 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Frodo wrote:Premium tequila has to overcome the image of fratboys downing shots of Cuervo gold, and then being very sorry in the morning.


Now, that's just ridiculous, Frodo. Fratboys are never sorry about anything!


That's because they don't remember anything the next day that they should be sorry for! :oops:

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:17 pm
Location: New Jersey, United States

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder