Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Did the forums enter a worm hole?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Did the forums enter a worm hole?

Postby rthomson » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:14 pm

I've been quite remiss in my perusals of these hallowed forums over the last few weeks. Apparently, the site was hacked and brought down for a couple of days earlier in February. Is that the reason why I logged on at (forum time) 2:30 AM on March 2 and then, after reading through a thread, it was suddenly 6:34 PM on March 1! After reading a few more posts it's 3:02 AM on March 2! Did the forums enter a time-space anomaly? Has anyone else encountered this problem? I'm taking a day off from the office as I'm recovering from the flu so perhaps it was all in fever-ravaged brain.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Re: Did the forums enter a worm hole?

Postby Photon » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:34 pm

rthomson wrote:I've been quite remiss in my perusals of these hallowed forums over the last few weeks. Apparently, the site was hacked and brought down for a couple of days earlier in February. Is that the reason why I logged on at (forum time) 2:30 AM on March 2 and then, after reading through a thread, it was suddenly 6:34 PM on March 1! After reading a few more posts it's 3:02 AM on March 2! Did the forums enter a time-space anomaly? Has anyone else encountered this problem? I'm taking a day off from the office as I'm recovering from the flu so perhaps it was all in fever-ravaged brain.

Ron

Before login all times are GMT. When you login, it converts the time to your local time (we're both GMT-8, so it goes 8 hrs back in time). After you leave the site/logout (I don't know if there's a timeout) your view time goes back to GMT
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:38 pm

I like the worm hole theory much better than the actual events.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:39 pm

I like worms made of copper.

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Photon » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:41 pm

Photon wrote:
rthomson wrote:I've been quite remiss in my perusals of these hallowed forums over the last few weeks. Apparently, the site was hacked and brought down for a couple of days earlier in February. Is that the reason why I logged on at (forum time) 2:30 AM on March 2 and then, after reading through a thread, it was suddenly 6:34 PM on March 1! After reading a few more posts it's 3:02 AM on March 2! Did the forums enter a time-space anomaly? Has anyone else encountered this problem? I'm taking a day off from the office as I'm recovering from the flu so perhaps it was all in fever-ravaged brain.

Ron

Before login all times are GMT. When you login, it converts the time to your local time (we're both GMT-8, so it goes 8 hrs back in time). After you leave the site/logout (I don't know if there's a timeout) your view time goes back to GMT

Whoops! Those times make even less sense than normal - the 6:34 pm time seems to be GMT. Do you have your profile set to GMT+8?

Slightly confused

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby rthomson » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:48 pm

You've got it right, Photon! I logged off and saw the date change back to March 1. The actual hours might have something to do with how my computer is set, who knows?

Thanks,

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:55 pm

I assume this will be fixed when Matt finishes reformatting everything. But the time on this site has always been dodgy--it drifts for some reason.

The piano has been drinking, not me.

My minor annoyance is that I have to log in again every now and then--the site doesn't remember me. Or won't admit knowing me, anyway.
Deactivated Member

Postby Photon » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:06 pm

Lawrence wrote:I like the worm hole theory much better than the actual events.

Lawrence

There's some meetings I attend where a wormhole would be right handy.

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:21 pm

My minor annoyance is that I have to log in again every now and then--the site doesn't remember me. Or won't admit knowing me, anyway.

Lucky for the site! :P
Lawrence
Matured cask

You crack me up

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:25 am

Lawrence wrote:

Lucky for the site! :P

Bad Lawrence!

Quite funny :D ... but, ... Bad Lawrence. (I'm no better, I'm still chuckling). Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Elliot » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:47 am

Well, at least you can use your Easy Button to find the site without ripping a hole in the universe. :lol:
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:48 am

Ron

Ron

No, nothing happened. Everything was as normal. I think your fever may have been worse than you originally thought.
Aidan

Postby Matt2 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:13 am

No time to chat, I think Schrodinger's cat has been chasing the worms through the server. How fast were you travelling when you looked at the time?

:lol: :roll:
Matt2

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:49 am

That's a postulation that can only be surmised.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:10 pm

Regards Adrian.

Talk to ye later.

as these sort of things go over my head anyway

but there you go and not at all unusual for me

I have not noticed it myself

..... Interesting observation

Hi all
irishwhiskeychaser

Cat's out of the box?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:47 pm

Matt Page wrote:No time to chat, I think Schrodinger's cat has been chasing the worms through the server. :lol: :roll:

So, how'd the cat get out of the theoretical box? Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby parvus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:02 pm

The cat was both inside and outside the box at the same time, Matt didn't know however until he opened the door to the server room.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:52 pm

As Einstein would say, it's all relative...

I always thought the wormhole was where you stuck the hook to use it as bait...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:02 pm

I think you guys have been sniffing the empty casks again :D
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:54 am

Nahhhh...we had to empty them first! ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:26 pm

Goldurn it, Matt! I had to relog in six times yesterday, and four more today. All just in the course of browsing the forums. Is this your way of trying to slow me down? It won't work, I tell you! 8)

How's the redesign coming along? How far away are we?
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:54 pm

Must be, Bruce...I haven't had to re-login at all... ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:11 pm

Well, that's it, then. It only happens when your posts exceed ten words! :P
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:40 pm

Matt...he used more than 10 words...lock him out!
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:21 am

:lol:

Re: login problems. Try deleting your cookies (or just the Whiskymag.com ones if you don't want to loose all of them). If you click the remember me box you should never have to log in again. Are you using a strange browser or the standard IE?
Matt2

Postby MGillespie » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:25 pm

Matt Page wrote::lol:
Are you using a strange browser or the standard IE?

Strange browser????

While I'm sure we would all agree that Bruce IS a strange browser, how dare you brand those of us who try to avoid IE as using a strange browser!!! ;)

I've been using Firefox for almost a year now, and it behaves far better than IE (or Bruce, for that matter)...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Jan » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:47 pm

Mark, I (strongly) second that. (The part about Firefox that is :wink: )

Seen from a certain point of view, it's IE that is the strange browser...

Actually I find that the forums work better in Firefox after the recent upgrade, so at least that "incident" had one positive outcome. :D

/Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:55 pm

I'm using an old version of Mozilla and everything seems to work fine.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Forum quirks and quarks

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:21 pm

Posters and those of like ilk:
Has the forum skirted another "Black Hole" lately? I've noticed the pages are taking a long time to load, just within the last 5 minutes. Mr. T. and I noticed it earlier in the week. Is anyone else noticing this slowness of late? Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:14 pm

I noticed it at home in the last 24 hours, but just figured it was because my daughters were downloading every music file they could find...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:20 pm

Will try to eat the cookies when I get home (I'm in lovely Montreal!). I get logged off just switching from thread to thread. Go to make a post and get the log-in page. Happens many times in a single session. Always check the box. Really, really annoying. Would like to know if anyone else has this problem. I am on dial-up, might be part of it. DSL soon.
Deactivated Member

Wrong language!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:09 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:(I'm in lovely Montreal!). I get logged off just switching from thread to thread. ... Really, really annoying. ... I am on dial-up, might be part of it. DSL soon.

It's because you're using American technology in Canada with the added problem that "le modem ne parle pas français. C'est trop mauvais!" M.P.
or if you will "Portage de Muskrat" 8)
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Wrong language!

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:00 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:(I'm in lovely Montreal!). I get logged off just switching from thread to thread. ... Really, really annoying. ... I am on dial-up, might be part of it. DSL soon.

It's because you're using American technology in Canada with the added problem that "le modem ne parle pas français. C'est trop mauvais!" M.P.
or if you will "Portage de Muskrat" 8)

That's "Portage du Rat Musqué"!

The problem happens at home, Musqué. The internet cafés all have high-speed connections and work just peachy. Uh, peachily. I am using their machine. As I have previously noted, I am laptopless in Montréal (a service that will normally cost you $20 in that neighborhood. Or so I hear.)
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:23 am

Tossed my cookies (ha ha!) and still have the same problem. I really think it's down to dial-up and the slow passage of data. Is anyone else here still using dial-up (or stylus and papyrus, for that matter)? If so, do you have similar problems, or no?
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:22 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Tossed my cookies (ha ha!) and still have the same problem. I really think it's down to dial-up and the slow passage of data. Is anyone else here still using dial-up (or stylus and papyrus, for that matter)? If so, do you have similar problems, or no?

Have you tried clearing your browser cache, it is maybe holding old pages from the previous forum. I don't think it is a dialup problem, I've managed to use the forum on some very slow connections ...... unless your dialup provider changes your IP address or uses a proxy farm, this can sometimes cause erros if not setup correctly.
Matt2

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder