Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Apologies to Highland Park

General chat and talk about whisky.

Apologies to Highland Park

Postby comicmutt » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:31 am

I can't find the thread, but we were listing our favorite and least favorite bottles and labels, and I mentioned how I didn't like the Highland Park bottles or labels. They looked less tasteful and classic to my eyes for some reason. I think it's the contrast of the black labels with the brighter colors in the middle. For some reason the labels screamed "Early Times Whiskey" when I looked at them. It didn't help that I had tried HP at a very busy nightclub and it tasted like Canadian Mist (I've come to the conclusion that what was in that botle was not HP in any way).

Anyway, I've come to see the error of my ways. I've spent some time with both the HP 12 and 18 whisky, and I don't care if it came in a plastic Nyquil bottle; this is a great whisky. As a beginning SMS drinker, it was the peat of Lagavulin and Laphroaig that caught my attention. Now that I've branched out a bit, I can appreciate the heather and the honey, as well as the peat. that means there's room on my shelf for Clynelish and Balvenie Double Wood as well as the Islay peat monsters.

So this is an apology to HP and the person in the thread who defended HP from my egregious attacks. Forgive this novice, I'm still learning.
comicmutt

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:52 am

Hey, cm, I think I said at the time that I liked the HP labels because I've been to Orkney and recognized the scenes. I strongly recommend that you (or anyone else) make the pilgrimage--it's an awesome place.

There are many of us who were first drawn in by the peat monsters and then learned to appreciate the less head-banging stuff, so you're in good company.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:10 am

I, too, developed my love for whisky on peaty malts and then ventured into less bracing fare, but I'm not sure that puts Comicmutt in good company.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:16 am

You have a point there...I just meant that he had a lot of company.
Deactivated Member

Postby comicmutt » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:50 pm

As long as we enjoy each other's company, who cares if we're good. :P
comicmutt

Postby MGillespie » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:20 am

Mutt, where have you been...it's been a while...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder