Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

an odd Whiskey taste

General chat and talk about whisky.

an odd Whiskey taste

Postby avonea » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:26 pm

I bought this 10 yo bushmills but when I opened it and tasted the whiskey (same day as I bought the whiskey) there was something weird about the taste. It was a waterlike taste, no warmth or after taste in the whiskey. There was clearly alcohol in it but the normal taste seemed to be missing. I then was adviced by my mate to shake the bottle and then most of the taste seemed to come back. But still a unusual taste for a 10 yo bushmill. I then left the bottle for a week and the same thing happend again.

Could it be that the whiskey have been exposed to high or low temperatures? or something else? anyone got an idea?
avonea

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:54 pm

That is very peculiar indeed--I don't recall such a phenomenon being reported here in the year and change I've been hanging out. It seems there are two kinds of questions that pop up on this forum--the ones that have already been answered repeatedly, and the ones we can't answer at all!

I don't know what the deal is with your bottle, but I think if I were you, I'd return it whence it came, and perhaps encourage the shop manager to taste it. However, it should be noted that it is probably not a good idea to return to the shop with a three-quarters empty bottle, saying, "This whiskey is terrible!" and demanding replacement.
Deactivated Member

Postby avonea » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:57 pm

:D I have thought about the same thing as well :) It's probably to late to return now, it's not three-quarters empty yet that will take longer than normal :) but it's almost 2 weeks since I purchased it at tesco for £ 18 now.

I was just wonder since this has never happed before, I have been drinking 10 yo Bushmills for the last 2 years on a regular basis plus other whiskeys but I've never come across this before with an unopend bottle. So I figured I'd ask someone that has drunk a bit more whiskeys over the years than me, just to hear what they had to say.

Thanks. I'll know next time, straigt back to the shop and get a new one. :)
avonea

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder