Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Seasonal drams?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Seasonal drams?

Postby Dan G » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:14 pm

In the “Which is the best scotch thread, hpulley says “It is especially a fall and winter whisky for me but I can enjoy Ardbeg, especially the lighter ones (Ardbeg 17yo OB, many Connoisseur's Choice bottlings, et al), all year round.”

So, what are good summer whiskys? I’m about to pretty much finish off all my open bottles and was contemplating not opening another for a few months, as I find I stick more to beer and white wines in hotter weather, as opposed to whisky and reds in winter.

But if I were to open something, what might be the one to go with. Unopened, in the cupboard (none of which I’ve tried before), I have:

Ardbeg 10
Bruichladdich 10
Bruichladdich Scott’s Selection 1989
Balvenie 10
Aberlour 10
Longmorn 15
Highland Park 18

For context, my most recently emptied bottles were:

Lagavulin 16
Dalwhinnie 15
Bowmore 17

And I’ve got about 2/3 of a bottle of Abunadh, but will probably open something else before that is finished. What should it be.

And also, in general, do your drinking habits change in summer and winter? What do people see as seasonal whiskys?

For me, I think Talisker is one that is pretty much a cold weather drink. A Bruichladdich (I think it was last summer I drank a bottle of 15 yo) or the Dalwhinnie seem like good summer whiskys.
Dan G

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:23 pm

I'd say the Bruichladdich best fits the bill for what you have. But I too find I don't want whisky much in hot weather. When you get one of those lovely summer evenings, though, with a temperature of 68-75F (20-24C), a dram will be just the thing, especially if you haven't had one in a while. I think Scapa would be a good one, as well.
Deactivated Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:05 pm

The Highland Park 18 is suitable year-round and just makes me think Spring/Summer. In fact I've been saving my lastest bottle of it for the summer months. I can drink most whisky anytime of year, except for the 100+ degree days, then it's just water, tea or beer. I do tend to slow down on Islays in summer, too.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby ScotchBlog » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:45 pm

I don't think of many whiskies being seasonal, though I must admit sometimes on a cold winter night I will gravitate towards a peaty Islay; and the obvious: Compas Box Orangerie, which is only produced seasonally - but would make an excellent "summer" drink as well.

I think of them more along the line of time of day or meal accompaniment .

But I agree with TH: The Bruichladdich is light - making it good for what you are looking for (or as an aperitif). Of the ones you mention, I'd think the Dalwhinnie, the Balvenie and the Bruichladdich will meet your requirements best.
ScotchBlog
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder