Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky resonance

General chat and talk about whisky.

Whisky resonance

Postby rthomson » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:23 am

I was drinking a nice pinot this evening and, in a quiet moment and for no apparent reason, I moistened my index finger on my tongue and then glided it along the rim of the Bordeaux glass. I don't have the musical ear to know what pitch resounded but it was quite pleasant and harmonious. In an inspired moment I decided I should try the trick with a Glencairn glass. I poured myself a Bushmills and repeated the process. However, the sound that emanated was not the same. I thought it sounded like an old door on squeaky hinges. My better half was more poetic and said, "Please stop doing that. It sounds like you're scrubbing the soap scum off the shower door." Could it be the Bushmills? I poured myself a 'Laddie and the sound was the same. Nevertheless, I aim to keep trying. I've had a bit to drink but, dammit, I'm at home and I can experiment with Macallan cs, Ardbeg 17, Laphroaig 10, and several others. What whisky is the most harmonious?

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:44 am

Hi Ron: I think the Glencairn class is the culprit here - not the spirit... The resonance (or lack of) is emanating from the glass.

The Glencairn's stubby base, thicker rim and tighter bowl don't bode well for it's singing career. Try the same thing with the Bushmills or 'Laddie in a wine glass and your life may return to harmonic balance. ('Hopefully your better half will also appreciate the sound improvement too. Try some super thin, monster large-bowled crystalware like the Reidel or Spiegelau wine glasses and you might find yourself tempted to abandon your day job and set out on an orchestral career...)
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:56 am

:wink:
Just being a bit tongue in cheek. I was surprised the Glencairn had any resonance at all.

I'm concerned that if I spend too much time with glasses other than those designed to serve whisky my better half might then encourage me to imbibe a bit less often in the fine stuff.

I'll continue to search for music in the single malts; I know it's there :wink:
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby parvus » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:05 am

Tell your wife at least you're not trying to find the resonant note of a plastic bottle of gin in a brown paper bag.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:57 pm

I should think that the sound of you scrubbing the soap scum off the shower door would bring a smile to her face.

What you really need is a couple of really nice snifters, like the ones I have here. Where did I get them again...?
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:23 am

parvus wrote:Tell your wife at least you're not trying to find the resonant note of a plastic bottle of gin in a brown paper bag.

Oh I'd never her tell her that. The less she finds out about those things the better :lol:
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:28 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:What you really need is a couple of really nice snifters, like the ones I have here. Where did I get them again...?

Probably from some wonderfully generous friend.

Then again, where did I get all those rare drams from multitudinous distilleries?
rthomson
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder