Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Who Have You Met From The Forum?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:14 pm

Now that sounds like a great meeting I would have liked to been a part of!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:09 am

I have just sepnt a very interesting and pleasurable few days with Len (LBacha) during Limburg, followed by a short trip down here to Munich. It was a great experience and a real pleasure to chat drams with someone who is so enthusiastic about his whisky.

Also at Limburg I met WhiskyBembel, the Glenrothes Ambassador in Germany.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:51 am

I met up with Aidan last night for a Cooley whiskey tasting. And had the pleasure of meeting IainB for the first time.

There were also a few other enthusiastic whiskey heads there also which could turn into Irelands first Whiskey Club. It really is a shame that we do not have a proper club forumulated as of yet with our whiskey heritage :oops:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Wendy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:22 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:...There were also a few other enthusiastic whiskey heads there also which could turn into Irelands first Whiskey Club. :oops:

IWC...don't hold back, I think you may be onto something here!!! :idea:

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:15 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I met up with Aidan last night for a Cooley whiskey tasting. And had the pleasure of meeting IainB for the first time.

There were also a few other enthusiastic whiskey heads there also which could turn into Irelands first Whiskey Club. It really is a shame that we do not have a proper club forumulated as of yet with our whiskey heritage :oops:

I think you're definitely onto something there. What do we need to start on? All we need for a first meeting is a venue and a few willing participants. To start the venue could just be a pub with a few decent whiskeys, and we could decide where to go from there.

Of course, like any good Irish club the first item on the agenda will be the split. By the end of the night we'll have 3 clubs.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:13 pm

Hi Iain, I know we can start right here and now but what I would prefer is a structured club with website and all the bells and whistles :wink:

Basically for a small subscription we could get something good going. Have tastings, post reviews and comments on Irish Whiskeys like Malt Maniacs do. We might even get some notice from the distilleries and get more involved with them. i.e. get a proper tour of the real midleton distillery. Access to up and comming new ideas etc. Even buying casks.

I would have no doubt the likes of Wendy might be interested in joining and we can heavily discount out overseas membership as they may not get use of many functions.

It would take a bit of organisation though
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:23 pm

I was going to set up a website, but haven't got around to it. I hope to do it in the next few months. Just an Irish whiskey website, since Peter Mulryan's is no longer running or updated at least.

I have Dreamweaver.
Aidan

Postby Wendy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:32 pm

Hello Adrian, John and Iain,
To launch the first Irish Whisky Club is a very exciting plan. There are a number of forum participants who manage their own clubs like Lawrence, and WestVanDave who would have a lot of sound advice to pass onto you. With your combined knowledge and enthusiasm, you certainly would have a solid foundation to kick off from.

First things first, Iain is correct to say that a regular gathering of a small group of enthusiasts and registering an official club name may be the least cumbersome start. If this takes off, consider me your first "satelite" member.

Wendy :thumbsup:

P.S. To get kinda on track with the theme of this thread, I had the pleasure of Mr. TH's company last week when he was visiting Toronto on business. We had a lovely evening that included a whisky swap. Mr. TH kindly gave me: Eagle Rare 17 yo; Glenlivet Nadurra 16 yo; HP 16 & Blackadder The Old Man of Hoy 14 yo. I have begun with the Eagle Rare which is absolutely super (not as hot as the 10 yo!). I will write more about the whiskies somewhere else. Mr. TH hardly gets the chance to visit Toronto, so it was a nice treat.
Last edited by Wendy on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:40 pm

Wendy wrote:Hello Adrian, John and Iain,
To launch the first Irish Whisky Club is a very exciting plan. There are a number of forum participants who manage their own clubs like Lawrence, and WestVanDave who would have a lot of sound advice to pass onto you. With your combined knowledge and enthusiasm, you certainly would have a solid foundation to kick off from.

Consider me your first "satelite" member.

Wendy :thumbsup:

That's 4 then. In 2 countries. We've gone international already.

Adrian, I agree with you on what it should be, but not sure how to start, esp. the website part. All I suppose I was really suggesting was that in the interim, we could see what interest there is, or at least hold discussion while actually drinking whiskey.

It would probably make sense to get Ally involved to some degree as I'd say he has a few people like us who buy regularly whom he could pass detials onto?

Maybe we should also sut up a new forum here to see how many members might be interested.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:41 pm

Aidan wrote:I was going to set up a website, but haven't got around to it. I hope to do it in the next few months. Just an Irish whiskey website, since Peter Mulryan's is no longer running or updated at least.

What is (or was) that site?
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:55 pm

Just a website on Irish whiskey. Saying what's available, some of the history, some reviews etc. It's wasn't going to take the world by storm.

There's an interesting website at http://www.potstill.de run by Thomas.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:04 pm

I think it's a great idea and I'm in (if you'll have me!). Also I wrote an article on Whiisky Fun/Malt Maniacs on starting a Club, here's the link;

http://www.whiskyfun.com/archiveoctober06-1.html

It's well down the page. This is exciting, I need to learn amore about Irish Whiskey.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby les taylor » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:35 pm

You guy's should ask Matt to start up an Irish Usergroup. I know that there is an Islay and a Speyside one. What they are for or do I don't know. But maybe that's an Idea for these forum's.

:)
les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:47 pm

I have set up a seperate forum to deal with this as we should not really hijacking this forum. Cheers for all the imput so far guys.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:25 pm

Rob Allanson! See "what did you drink last night' for details.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wendy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi Lawrence,
I read your comments on the "What did you drink last night" thread. It sounds like Rob and his father-in-law's 3 hour journey to attend your club meeting was well worth it. What better chance for Rob to meet a number of new westcoast whisky enthusiasts!

I know you will soon be heading overseas. I look forward to hearing about who you have met on that journey.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:53 am

Thanks Wendy, it was good to meet rob and his father in law and to have the opportunity to chat about whisky and other subjects. Off to the Uk next week, I hope the weather picks up a little.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:22 am

Hi Lawrence,
Munich is only a short hop from the UK with plenty of cheap flights, so maybe we may see you at The Arc?
:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:52 pm

ive met no one from the forum as im an unsociable bugger... :evil:
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:43 pm

As mentioned on the Whisky Fringe thread it was a great pleasure indeed to meet, and share a few drams and stories with, Martin Grant, Spirit of Islay and Mr and Mrs Oiler Kiwi. An excellent event made even better by putting a few faces to forum names.

This forum is such a great place for whisky nuts like ourselves.... here's tae us!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Spent the last weekend at the Whisky Fringe and was lucky enough to meet a few people from the forums here. Bumped into Nick Brown which was a great pleasure. An extremely knowledgeable fella indeed. Unfortunately the fringe was very busy and we didn't have long to catch up but would look forward to sharing a dram with Nick again in the future.
Also had the pleasure of spending some time with Leither which was great fun. Really enjoyed your review of the weekend Paul, and am looking forward to that game of golf.
Bumped into Mr. and Mrs. Oiler Kiwi as well which was also great fun. Both seemed so very excited and enthusiastic about whisky it was fantastic.
Finally, spent some time with Gordon (SOI). Was great to catch up with him after spending a fair amount of time swapping chat both here and on his own website. Gordon was good enough to pour for me a very large measure of his own Port Charlotte 4 year old blood tub. Rated by Jim Murray as a 96, I'm not surprised. A great whisky and a great weekend!
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:06 pm

Yes indeed - on SoI's PC from the bloodtub, I couldn't agree more.

As I said to Gordon I had heard lots about it and thought it might not live up to all the 'hype' about it, but I was very impressed indeed. It was very kind of Gordon to offer me a dram and, had it been possible to vote for it as the star of the show this would have been an easy winner in my book.

What a star for such a young whisky, I'm honoured to have sampled it. 8)
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:57 pm

This last Saturday I (and Carollyne) had the pleasure of meeting Les Taylor and his charming wife Shirley and the Whisky Exchange at Vinoplolos. We had lunch at a near by pub and then returned to TWE to look at all the bottles that I couldn't take home on the airplane. Matt kindly gave us some samples to ease the pain. It was great to meet Les and Shirly and it was good of them to travel to London to meet us.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby les taylor » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:11 pm

Lawrence wrote:This last Saturday I (and Carollyne) had the pleasure of meeting Les Taylor and his charming wife Shirley and the Whisky Exchange at Vinoplolos. We had lunch at a near by pub and then returned to TWE to look at all the bottles that I couldn't take home on the airplane. Matt kindly gave us some samples to ease the pain. It was great to meet Les and Shirly and it was good of them to travel to London to meet us.

Lawrence

It was a pleasure Lawrence. For us it was nice because you are the first people we have met from the forums. Shirley was a bit apprehensive because she thought it would be just whisky talk all the time. It was a delightful experience and look forward to seeing you again one day.

It was good to meet Matt again as well. He was as hospitable as usual and look forward to our next visit to TWE.

les taylor

Postby Quaichuser » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:51 pm

I had the pleasure of Wendy and Harry's company at my scotch tasting last night. We had a real good time and it is fun meeting forum members in person. One of the tastings last night was the Glen Breton Rare and all three of us agreed that the current bottling is a big improvement on a what was available a couple of years ago. It's still a little pricy though.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:22 pm

Yesterday I had the pleasure of meeting PlainyJane (Dr. Jane) at the Strath Liquor Merchants in Victoria and she kindly brought some items from 'away'. We're going to be meeting up again in November 14th at Willow Parks Whisky Wednesday in Ware House in Calgary.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:19 pm

I'm hoping to meet some forum members in Stockholm next week, at the beer and whisky festival. Who's going???
Di Blasi

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:51 pm

Last night I was approached by the man from Caddington, aka Les Taylor, as I wired myself, microphone and guitar for a gig with my band in his neighbourhood.

What a pleasure to meet him. He came with a posse - Mrs Les and his lovely family. It felt like re-meeting someone you already know...

Apart from his difficulty in obtaining the only half decent dram in the house(JWGreen - i got a large one on the house, then they hid the bottle) it was a great night, and I'm sure we'll meet again.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:53 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Last night I was approached by the man from Caddington, aka Les Taylor, as I wired myself, microphone and guitar for a gig with my band in his neighbourhood.

What a pleasure to meet him. He came with a posse - Mrs Les and his lovely family. It felt like re-meeting someone you already know...

Apart from his difficulty in obtaining the only half decent dram in the house(JWGreen - i got a large one on the house, then they hid the bottle) it was a great night, and I'm sure we'll meet again.

What a great night that must've been! A truly great meeting!
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:36 am

Di Blasi wrote:
Reggaeblues wrote:Last night I was approached by the man from Caddington, aka Les Taylor, as I wired myself, microphone and guitar for a gig with my band in his neighbourhood.

What a great night that must've been! A truly great meeting!

It was really good to meet RB. If he's playing in a venue near you go and see him. It was a mix of Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix and John Lee Hooker. We really enjoyed his playing. Good stuff. Also RB it was a pleasure to meet you and your right it did feel as though we'd met before.

It was funny on the night because I was talking with RB when he was setting up. One of the people in the pub came and asked if I was the Guvnor of the pub because I was talking with RB.

I had a pint of Director's. And later on I thought I'd have a JW Green as well. The girl at the bar said we don't have any. So I pointed out that RB was drinking one. So she went and asked her manager if they had any JW Green. Who replied we have Greene King IPA on draught. They then found the bottle and asked if we like ice with it. Bless.

RB it was really good to see you and look forward to meeting up again.

les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:06 pm

Likewise, Les.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Re: Who Have You Met From The Forum?

Postby les taylor » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Well Whisky live is an obvious place to meet up with Forum Members. It was really nice to meet up with for the first time Matt thanks for your help in making the day so enjoyable for us all. Also meet Paul A Jellis from paradise north was excellent too. We had a nice long chat.

Also to meet up with The Fachan as well. I had met him before but did not know him as The Fachan so that was good. Also Lagavulin1967. Thanks for your hopspitality guys it was good to see you all. :)
les taylor

Postby hook55 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:26 am

:( Nope have not met nobody from this forum? since I'm the only one in this country who is on this forum.. not surprising :o :smoke:
hook55
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:18 am

Nick it would be interesting to hear what you think of RB's music. I've seen him live and have his CD in the car. I hope you enjoy it. :)
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:19 am

Just met toshie, I think. He doesn't really post much but he's a member (now chairman) of Glasgow's Whisky Club which I just joined.
Deactivated Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder