Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

CBC Ideas - Water of Life

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Selassie » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:13 am

I don't know if this is the correct forum to share this, but here is a wonderful program first aired 10 years ago on the CBC about "singular malts."

It will only be up for 3 days so if the link expires PM me and I'll be more than glad to share it with you again.

* beware the file is 20MB
Selassie

Postby rthomson » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:23 am

I'll try downloading it tomorrow after work; I have a much better connection at the office.

I'm just a few miles south of the border but the local stations never show any CBC stuff. We have a fair amount of BBC programming. CBC programs can't be any worse than the stuff I've got available to me now (or could it?)

Thanks for the link.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:43 am

It's actually very good and I have it on cassette tape (remember that format?) and I listen to it in the car. There are loads of them available cheap, C$5.00 or less. If anybody wants a copy let me know and I'll point you in the direction of a copy.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re: CBC Ideas - Water of Life

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:50 am

Selassie wrote:I don't know if this is the correct forum to share this, but here is a wonderful program first aired 10 years ago on the CBC about "singular malts."

It will only be up for 3 days so if the link expires PM me and I'll be more than glad to share it with you again.

* beware the file is 20MB

Thanks Selassie I enjoyed listening to the file and yes you found the right place to post that.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Dan G » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:36 pm

rthomson wrote:I'll try downloading it tomorrow after work; I have a much better connection at the office.

I'm just a few miles south of the border but the local stations never show any CBC stuff. We have a fair amount of BBC programming. CBC programs can't be any worse than the stuff I've got available to me now (or could it?)

Thanks for the link.

Cheers,
Ron

This is from CBC Radio, not television. And yes, CBC television programs can be (and are worse) than BBC. Equally bad, but in a different way, to most US television.

But they are unmatched in the radio documentary field.
Dan G

Postby MGillespie » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:03 pm

Thanks, Selassie...I have a long car trip tomorrow and this will be perfect for the ride!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby pouranother » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:21 am

Thanks for the tip. Excellent to listen to while enjoying a dram.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 am

I did enjoy it,as the narrator's passion really came through. That said, it was slightly over the top with its romantic notions. If you get a bad dram, what does that say about the character and personality of the stillman?
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:06 pm

Similar sentiments as Aidan... enjoyed it but a bit too mushy :wink: however that did not really overly detract from the programme..

..... but I did notice the usual bit of Single Malt Whisky propaganda... :roll:

The very opening line purporting that the '...substance that inspired Robert Burns to peotical revery...' was Single Malt Whisky. :?

This to me is a totally fabricated statement. The man lived 1759-1796 and in these times they did not make such a fuss about SMW as it was all just whisky. Robert Burns was a great man to mention Whisky or more to the point scotch whisky as the man was proud that this was a scottish product but I do not recall the famed poet waxing lyrical about single malt specifically.

The fight to elevate quality blends to an equal par of Single Malts continues :lol: :mrgreen:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:56 am

Dan G wrote:And yes, CBC television programs can be (and are worse) than BBC. Equally bad, but in a different way, to most US television.

What! I'll not have you disparaging The Friendly Giant and Mr Dress-Up. (Mr Dress-Up is a close personal friend of Mr Picky.)

Well, actually, I mostly watch Newsworld. And mostly to see Carole MacNeil and Carla Robinson.

iwc, there were no blends in those days--the column still (and grain whisky) had yet to be invented. Burns and his contemporaries may not have called it single malt whisky, but likely that's all there was.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:18 pm

No offence meant.... Just hopping balls :wink:

Good point about blends as well.... but to be quite honest I'd say the whisky then does not really compare to whisky today.
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder