Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Three Cheers for Glenfiddich

General chat and talk about whisky.

Three Cheers for Glenfiddich

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 02, 2006 5:31 pm

I'd like to give three cheers for Glenfiddich Distillery.

Yesterday, I attended their Masterclass as part of the Spirit of Speyside festival. For a very modest sum, I got to try their 21yo, 30yo, 1966, 1955 and the distillery 15yo that you have to fill up yourself. All this was led by Ian Millar, the Chief Brand Ambassador and former manager of a host of different distilleries. Ian was generous with both his time and his whisky - and it was a real privilege to try whiskies that would normally be way out of my price range - if they were bottled. And the 1966 and 1955 are not commercially bottled, making the privilege all the greater. The 1955 was quite unlike the Glenfiddichs that you get nowadays - dry, grassy and a bit smoky. None of the oranges, melons or sweetness you associate with Glenfiddich (and which were in the 30yo in abundance). It was also extremely light in colour.

If anyone gets the chance to go on a similar event next year, seize the opportunity with both hands.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 03, 2006 1:50 pm

Nick - you lucky guy. Sounds like a lot of fun. Glenfiddich seem to know how to attract and keep their customers - and what better way to reward them than with a drop of something wonderful - especially for those who know and appreciate what they are tasting.
Jealous! :mrgreen:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 03, 2006 5:26 pm

Let us not forget that Glenfiddich is one of the last independent, family-owned distilleries. Because of their remarkable marketing success, we tend to think of them as one of the big boys, like Diageo.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Wed May 10, 2006 4:50 am

I thought Jens Thorlstrop was the global brand ambassador?
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Wed May 10, 2006 9:15 am

Admiral wrote:I thought Jens Thorlstrop was the global brand ambassador?

He was - but isn't anymore. Jens has left Scotland for a new job at the danish spirit company "De Danske Spritfabrikker"

Guess he was a bit homesick :wink:

But before he left, he and Ian gave us a similar nice experience when a group of us visited Glenfiddich in January. Real treats in the warehouse: Glenfiddich 1955, -57, Balvenie 1960, -62, -64, 66. And the "ingredients" going into the Solera Vat, and many more.
karlejnar
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder