Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Google trends & whisky

General chat and talk about whisky.

Google trends & whisky

Postby parvus » Thu May 11, 2006 9:36 am

Google Trends is a new service from google, showing the trends and popularity of keywords in searches. I decided to make the following whisky related searches, some of which are quite interesting:

Ardbeg / Laphroaig / Bruichladdich / Lagavulin
Interesting to note the very rapid climb of searches for Bruichladdich, which drops off just as fast, quite strange.

Scotch Vs. Bourbon
It seems scotch has the upper hand most of the time, with an occasional breach in popularity for bourbon.

Whisky or Whiskey
Whiskey seems the most popular way to spell our favorite beverage. Good to see the chaps in Edinburgh know whats what tho!

That's all I can think of at the moment, if you think of something interesting, go to the google trends site, and enter your search, then post the address to your search results so we can see and discuss them.
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Jan » Fri May 12, 2006 9:41 pm

Hi Parvus

Thank you for the tip - quite interesting new google service.

(Though it seems at bit spotty in its results yet - but will probably improve.)

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Iain » Fri May 12, 2006 10:08 pm

Ah. I see that the "top cities" include Bletchley and Brentford. "Normalized" of course.

Err.. what?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Re: Google trends & whisky

Postby Photon » Sat May 13, 2006 12:02 am

parvus wrote:Scotch Vs. Bourbon
It seems scotch has the upper hand most of the time, with an occasional breach in popularity for bourbon.

Actually I think the big bourbon spike was hurricane Katrina and an interest in the fate of the New Orleans landmark.

Interesting how both spike at the holidays. Don't know what to get Uncle Ned? Booze!!!!

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat May 13, 2006 5:51 pm

Hm, I just did a search with the words "Whisky and nudity" and I have to say it looks like a head to head race. Does that mean the future of single malts look bright 'cause I wonder if whisky will ever get more popular than that?

http://www.google.com/trends?q=whisky%2C+nudity

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby hillbilly » Sat May 13, 2006 6:48 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Hm, I just did a search with the words "Whisky and nudity" and I have to say it looks like a head to head race. Does that mean the future of single malts look bright 'cause I wonder if whisky will ever get more popular than that?

http://www.google.com/trends?q=whisky%2C+nudity

Christian

Well, whisky can often lead to nudity, so I'd say that your word combination search was very appropriate. :lol:
hillbilly

Postby Simplicio » Sun May 14, 2006 5:46 am

parvus wrote:Ardbeg / Laphroaig / Bruichladdich / Lagavulin
Interesting to note the very rapid climb of searches for Bruichladdich, which drops off just as fast, quite strange.

The spike occurs exactly on Feb. 27th, which is the day that the high ABV expression began to be distilled.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=bruichladdich%2C+laphroaig%2C+ardbeg%2C+lagavulin&ctab=2&geo=all&date=2006-2

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:25 pm Post subject: Now THIS is potent!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Islay distillery to revive world’s ‘most potent’ single malt whisky

By Jenifer Johnston

The world’s “most alcoholic single malt whisky” looks set to be created tomorrow at an Islay distillery.
The usquebaugh-baul blend will be at least a senses-stunning 92% alcohol and possibly as high as 94%, and comes from an ancient island recipe in which a single malt is quadruple distilled....

....The process will be captured live on Bruichladdich’s webcams tomorrow.

26 February 2006

Simplicio

Postby parvus » Sun May 14, 2006 12:49 pm

I assumed that would be the case, that was quite the spike!
parvus
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun May 14, 2006 12:59 pm

Simplicio wrote:
The spike occurs exactly on Feb. 27th, which is the day that the high ABV expression began to be distilled.

Good point

Another problem with this is that there are no volume numbers. It is easy to create a spike like that if the volumes are relatively low.

Say I check regularly for my fav Laphroaigh some else searches for Ardbeg and some else again Lagavulin but we all check for bruchladich as we have heard about this new brew. Straight away 3 times the interest. Interesting little tool though.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby parvus » Mon May 15, 2006 2:03 am

They have a minimum volume required for it to appear on the trends page, and knowing google, that number would be in the thousands, if not ten's of thousands of queries.
parvus
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder