Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Ardbeg Committee Reserve!

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:04 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I'd love to send you the incidental contents, but I can't see how I could extract them without damaging the extremely valuable (and intact) containers.

There is a certain Italian that's an expert at this.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:25 am

OMG, you two make me laugh. :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:59 am

Aidan wrote:
Nick Brown wrote:I'd love to send you the incidental contents, but I can't see how I could extract them without damaging the extremely valuable (and intact) containers.

There is a certain Italian that's an expert at this.

Osmosis.... :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby PuckJunkie » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:09 pm

On what can only be considered a vaguely related note, does anyone here buy SMWS bottlings, and has anyone tried 33.59? I ask because it's a 7-year old bottled at 58.5% ABV from "the most easterly of Islay distilleries". Sounds like a very similar whisky to the Oogling. Or maybe it's closer to a Still Young? I'm not sure of the relative strengths of the other whiskies.

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:19 pm

Yup, I just received word today mine arrived safely! Now, I must be once again patient, til when I will be able to visit my aunt to get them, or have someone visit me from there to bring them up! At least they're safe, I can finally rest!!
Di Blasi

Postby parvus » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:17 pm

Aidan wrote:
parvus wrote:My bottles arrived today. The booklet that comes around the neck is hilarious.

Ah now come on. Hilarious?

I was being somewhat facetious, just as they are in the booklet :wink:
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:36 am

I like the "Gosling" page!
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:42 am

Someone might be getting their hands on one of these for quite an affordable price it seems.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ardbeg-Young-Uigead ... dZViewItem
Were those first two German ebay sales of it just lucky for the seller then? This bottle may just break even for the seller if bidding doesn't pick up in the next 36 hours.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:51 am

I would normally expect the price to pick up considerably towards the auction end, but it does seem strange when a Swedish seller decides to list on .com

I believe many US buyers are wary of buying from Europe due to customs charges and even bottle destruction. Then there's the quite high cost of shipping to The States.

We'll see what happens, but Ebay.com doesn't usually achieve quite so good prices for EU bottles as Ebay.co.uk or Ebay.de
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:16 am

Thanks Malt Teaser, things to keep in mind when listing on ebay one day.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:57 pm

Well, the latest Oogling didn't increase by a great deal.
The seller has recovered his costs and made some profit after Ebay costs and the inferior exchange rate PP offers to sellers, but certainly not like the previous ones sold.

"US $137.50
(Approximately £74.39)"

This particular seller is in Sweden, listing in USA in USD.
Anyone winning will probably pay by Paypal but he states that Paypal buyers should add 4% to cover PP costs (NOT allowed by Ebay!)
I think this mix-up of currencies and listing on .com actually worked against this seller.

He is also listing the Ardbeg and Laphroaig festival bottles and these are also below the current prices seen elsewhere on Ebay.de or Ebay.co.uk
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:03 pm

My mistake, the second bottle was the Hazelburn "Society" bottling from Springbank and sold at around 67 GBP.

The third (Ardbeg) is currently at just under the Festival original price with about 30 minutes left.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:41 pm

The winning bid was 137.50$! About double what it cost when the distillery sold it, not a bad deal for something so limited and special, even if it's a "young" one.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:50 pm

Yes indeed, but that is around €100 and the latest prices in Ebay within Europe have been around €140.

The original price was just under 30 GBP plus postage which I guess works out at around €55 in total.
From experience, when accepting Paypal payments in a foreign currency the exchange rate enforced by PP is below the normal market / High Street / Bank rate. This means that including Ebay fees, PP fees and a loss on exchange, the total 'fees' claimed by Ebay amount to around 13% of the total.
This gives the seller rough costs of something like €68 and a profit of €32.

OK, so that's a good quick profit on his outlay, but it could have been another €40 or perhaps a little more.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:17 pm

Today the nice postman brought me a parcel. Finally! (Had begun to worry a tiny bit :wink:)

He then acted less nicely when he charged me for tax, handling of tax charge and VAT of both, before handling over the bottle :evil:

Oh well, it was to be expected - I'm just glad to have my bottle secured in my cupboard....

Anybody still waiting for theirs ?

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:28 pm

There must still be quite a few waiting as I spoke to Joanne at Ardbeg today (via E-Mail) and she said that they were still sorting out the Ooglings and availability / shipping of the remaining bottles.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:46 am

I'm still waiting placed my order on may 19th had an email from Joanne last week to say please be patient. Hope mine comes soon.. :cry:
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:09 am

Hi Les,
mine arrived a week or so after speaking with Joanne.
Don't worry, it will get there, especially as she has been in contact with you.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:38 am

Hi Mt thanks for that I await with baited breath. Is it a thing of bueaty?
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:40 am

It's beauty is subtle in an inoffensive, under-stated kind of way.

But the booklet (as in Piglet) is a masterpiece in its own right!
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:43 am

Can't wait, hurry up Mr Postie.
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:05 pm

Les, will you be saving it for a rainy day or opening it?
Let us all know when it arrives and your first impressions.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:32 pm

I know that as a collector I advocate holding on to some bottles as a future investment, but I think this is pushing it just too far at the moment!

Ebay: 180001882263
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180001882263&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D180001882263%26fvi%3D1
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:03 pm

Good thing that bottle comes from a smoke free home. :roll: It'll be interesting to see if it sells at that price. If it does I'll appreciate my OB Ardbeg 10 all the more to say nothing of my stock of 1977's.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder