Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Distillery elicits historic drams

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon May 22, 2006 12:00 pm

From BBC.CO.UK:

Whisky distillers at Glenlivet are recreating history by legally using the type of still used illicitly about 200 years ago.
The specially designed "Small Still" uses the same methods as illicit distillers once employed in Banffshire.

The aim is to produce a small supply of the spirit that first created the reputation of Scotch whisky two centuries ago.

Full story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/nor ... 004114.stm

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon May 22, 2006 8:28 pm

BBC.CO.UK
The Small Still was commonly used to create a whisky which entered legend as being smooth, fruity and easy to drink.

As I understand it small stills produce a fuller bodied whisky. It would be interesting...

Current legislation restricts the size of a still, so the Glenlivet Distillery in Ballindalloch had to seek government permission to use the still, which has a capacity of only 12 gallons.

... but pricey I suspect.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby The Fachan » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:17 pm

Drameister,

I have it on solid information that the spirit will not be for sale at any time.... sorry about that.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:16 am

I have an interview with Jim Cryle on this subject in Episode 42 of WhiskyCast...and he confirms that it'll never go on sale...and may not even be put into cask because of Customs & Excise rules...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:15 am

A dram shame, I'm sure they'd like to know what it tastes like after proper maturation....
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:57 pm

Seems to me that "proper maturation" for this kind of stuff would be straight from the still.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:00 am

Good point! :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Iain » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:56 am

According to the Press and Journal, reporting the day after the whisky was made, "Mr Cryle said that about 5 litres of new spirit had been produced and those who had tasted it had not been disappointed." So it appears that it has indeed been consumed practically "straight from the still", at least by some lucky folks.

I believe both Dave Broom and Michael Jackson attended the event, so I assume tasting notes and other info will be available in the next issue of WM.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder