Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Grappa goes whisky

General chat and talk about whisky.

Grappa goes whisky

Postby kljostad » Fri May 26, 2006 12:51 pm

I just spent a fantastic week in the south of Italy, in a city called Sorrento. It is close to sites like Capri, Pompeii and the Amalfi coat. Highly recomended!

While I was there, I got to know the owner of a local wine-shop. When he heard of my interest in Whiskey, he got very excited. Some days earlier, he had got hold of some bottles of Grappa that had been matured for 10 years in Whiskey-barrels. I tasted it, and it was deliciuos! It had the fruity taste of a grappa, and the compleixity of a whisky. It even had some peat left in. I just had to buy a bottle.

If you can find it, I will recomend you to have a try. I have not been able to find any english information about it on the net, just som german: http://vuithier.com/grappa-whisky-dellavalle-p-775.html
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri May 26, 2006 8:29 pm

That sounds really interesting and definitely worth trying! Does that shop in Sorrento have a website where we can find the bottles, and more information about them. Or can you tell us if the label has a site mentioned on it? How about the producer's name and whereabouts so we can look into it further, hopefully get a bottle for ourselves? Thanks for the info, really curious about this!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 27, 2006 12:31 am

The link for the German site also has a link to the distillery's site, on the left side of the page. The "homepage" link on the bottom of the page is incorrect, so here is the link to get to the whiskied grappa site...
http://www.grappedellavalle.it/
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 27, 2006 12:37 am

...but no sign of the grappa this forum topic discusses. I'll keep hunting.
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 am

On a shop's site selling the whisky it's listed as "DellaValle Grappa affinata in botti di Whisky (Caol Ila e Springbank)!" It's getting even better now isn't it!
Di Blasi

Postby kljostad » Sat May 27, 2006 8:32 pm

The wineshop has a website: http://www.italianwineandfoodtour.com/, and I know that the owner is happy to ship both to Europe and the US.

I paid 52 Euros for a bottle. I am actually enjoying a dram of this stuff right now. Jummy!
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Mon May 29, 2006 5:27 pm

I actually bought 2 bottles of something called "Torba Rossa Grappa" on sale at the LCBO a couple of yrs ago at $25 down from about $40. This stuff is aged for one year, and has undergone some sort of peating process. I tried one about 6 months ago and after trying it twice I just couldn't bring myself to try it again and gave both bottles to my stepfather. I thought of giving a bottle for Harry to try, but I didn't want him mad at me.

Brutal stuff - and I actually tried some grappas I actually kinda thought weren't too bad...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder