Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your pictures are wanted!

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Fergie » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:49 am

Looks good Les. Is chair restoration a hobby or a full time job ?

Or is that your whisky drinking chair. It would be well suited for the purpose as it would be a hard chair to fall off.
:lol:

(Oops. Just looked at your profile and see that you are an upholsterer :oops: )

Cheers
Fergie
Bronze Member

Location: In the middle of Scotland ( give or take a hundred miles or so, each way )

Postby les taylor » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:14 am

Fergie wrote:Looks good Les. Is chair restoration a hobby or a full time job ?

Or is that your whisky drinking chair. It would be well suited for the purpose as it would be a hard chair to fall off.
:lol:

(Oops. Just looked at your profile and see that you are an upholsterer :oops: )

Cheers

Hi fergie thanks for your comments. My hobby pays the mortgage etc etc and for my whisky and holidays. I'm blessed to be able to work from home. I'm currently working on a huge sofa 2.4m in length 112 cms deep and 90 cms high. It's variety that is the spice of life after all.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Fergie » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:39 pm

Les. It's nice to know that there are still good craftsmen out there.

Gormie. Was having another admiring look at your montage of the distillery and noticed that the various shadows ar being cast in different directions. On the left, the sun is casting shadows to the right, and on the right of the image, the sun is directly behind the camera.
Morning, afternoon and evening shots perhaps ???

Just though I'd mention that.

Cheers.
Last edited by Fergie on Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Location: In the middle of Scotland ( give or take a hundred miles or so, each way )

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:39 pm

Wow, very nice indeed Les, great work!
Di Blasi

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:02 pm

Here's one of the setting sun in Kerry, south west of Ireland, You can barely make out some outlines of sheep in the blacked out fore ground

This was taken on my SLR that I had at the time.... alas no more.. I was trying to get in all the nice cirrus cloud but this was the widest frame I could manage...

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:19 pm

Fergie wrote:Gormie. Was having another admiring look at your montage of the distillery and noticed that the various shadows ar being cast in different directions. On the left, the sun is casting shadows to the right, and on the right of the image, the sun is directly behind the camera.

Fergie, since the panorama of the distillery at Arran is made of five shots, I would guess that it's a 180° view, give or take. Maybe somewhat less, given the shadow angles. The camera will have been pointed in nearly opposite directions for the two images at either end. This sort of shadow anomaly is normal. If you printed the photo large enough to wrap it in a C around your head (or projected it on a curved screen), you would see the shadows do in fact point in the same direction.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:36 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Here's one of the setting sun in Kerry, south west of Ireland, You can barely make out some outlines of sheep in the blacked out fore ground

This was taken on my SLR that I had at the time.... alas no more.. I was trying to get in all the nice cirrus cloud but this was the widest frame I could manage...

Beautyful picture Adrian - really really beautyful!
les taylor wrote:A while back Mustardhead asked me to show some pictures of my work. So here is a chair I have done recently. I had to strip it out completely reglue the frame, polish up the show wood and then reupholster it.

Looks like a job well done les! Must be an interesting job!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Fergie » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:33 pm

MrTattieHeid. Yep. I can see the logic in that.

irishwhiskeychaser. Nice pic. I'm always amazed at photos taken towards the rising and setting sun. Did you use a filter ?
Brightening the photo does show the outlines of sheep.

Cheers.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby Gormie » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:27 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Fergie wrote:Gormie. Was having another admiring look at your montage of the distillery and noticed that the various shadows ar being cast in different directions. On the left, the sun is casting shadows to the right, and on the right of the image, the sun is directly behind the camera.

Fergie, since the panorama of the distillery at Arran is made of five shots, I would guess that it's a 180° view, give or take. Maybe somewhat less, given the shadow angles. The camera will have been pointed in nearly opposite directions for the two images at either end. This sort of shadow anomaly is normal. If you printed the photo large enough to wrap it in a C around your head (or projected it on a curved screen), you would see the shadows do in fact point in the same direction.

Correct, it is about 150°. and thanks for the nice words
Gormie

Postby dram_time » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:47 pm

I like to take alot of close-up shots, with macro lenses and settings, am waiting on a x4mag attachment to arrive, than i hope to be able to get in really close. Again, alot of the quality will be gone with reductions.

And as above, nice pics everyone, will have to try the photo stiching thing.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:50 pm

I've been trying all afternoon to upload this 360° view of the Easter Aquhorthies recumbent stone circle...weird things going on around here. Anyway, it is a full circle, and I'm posting it to show how the shadows fall. (You said you like Rocks, dt.)
Deactivated Member

Postby Fergie » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:57 pm

MrTattieHeid. An excellent example showing the wisdom of your words and demonstrating that shadows falling in different directions are uneasy on the eye. I suppose that an overcast but bright day would be a possible answer.I have never tried a full 360* shot but I will when I fine a suitable vista. Must be a devil of a job lining al those shots up.

Here's a montage I did a few years ago.

The bridge is actually behind the castle as we look at it. The statue and monument are a couple of miles away from the castle in opposite directions.

(It's 9.35pm and I feel a dram comming on :) )

Cheers.
Last edited by Fergie on Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:39 pm

Well, the thing to do with those 360° shots is make a QuickTime movie out of them. If I could only figure out how to post one of those here....
Deactivated Member

Postby dram_time » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:34 am

those rocks rock Mr T !!!

There are some great Quicktime panoramas of North West Scotland at the end of this link,,,

http://www.robinwilson.net/sutherland.html

I Can see my house (although to be fair it is a bit fuzzy!!) in one of the shots.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:37 am

Excellent pics boys ... very impressed ... Fergie that pic is like a promo pic for a fantasy film 8)

I really liked you sunset D-T :thumbsup:

And Mr T-H I'm very impressed with your straight circle :D
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:52 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:And Mr T-H I'm very impressed with your straight circle :D

If I could only square it, I'd win the geometry prize....
Deactivated Member

Postby Fergie » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:05 am

Have you tried triangulation. :wink:
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby SoMK » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:41 am

TH> i'm pretty sure we could embed quicktime or swf but the webmaster would have to allow us to use html.. Could be fun though !

Les T> Great upholstering and sweet sweet job on the wood as well !

I think that seeing what people do/make is always a pretty good judge of character so I'll pass for a complete nutjob :insane: but I'm not really showing off, I'm just relieved this ring is done ! *never freaked out this much...* so, this is what I do, I make shiny things.

SoMK
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:26 pm

Here's a little 'panorama' of mine . . .

Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:16 am

Haha :D For a while I was left wondering about which fjord this could possibly be.......untill I noticed the "mirror effect". Clever :)
Mr Fjeld

Postby Fergie » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:17 pm

Photo from last year.
Taken by myself through the window of the following bus.
We were winding our way down to that wee road in the bottom of the valley. Cheers.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:47 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Haha :D For a while I was left wondering about which fjord this could possibly be.......untill I noticed the "mirror effect". Clever :)

If my memory is working, it does'nt always, we were on our way out of Geiranger.
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:19 pm

Fergie wrote:
Photo from last year.
Taken by myself through the window of the following bus.
We were winding our way down to that wee road in the bottom of the valley. Cheers.

Nice picture Fergie! Quit steep at times on the way to Flåm wasn't it?
Edit: Is this on the way to Stalheim?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Fergie » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:02 pm

Mr Fjeld. .. Train from Flam to Voss. The descending road was on route between Voss and Gunvangen.

I'm sure you will know where I was when I took this one. 8)

Cheers
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:42 pm

Another beautyful picture Fergie! Yes, that looks familiar!I can even see the building which houses the best "Wine Monopoly store" :lol: and will be visited tomorrow to pick up Caol Ila Distillers Edition.
I think your first picture is from a place called "Stalheimskleivane" which is a steep hill consisiting of 13 hairpin bends. There has been quite a few accidents there in the past when the brakes were less effective than today. However you are still supposed to use low gear to enable engine brake or else.........

There's a video of the Norway in a nutshell tour here:

http://www.fjord-tours.com/video.asp?tur=nin
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:22 pm

Not quite whisky photos, but I couldn't resist this little visitor in the bathroom!

Deactivated Member

Postby dram_time » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:38 pm

Road trip 'Up North'

This is Sail Gharbh, Near Unapool, very very lonely up there!!

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Re: Your pictures are wanted!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:03 pm

I gotta figure out how to make the attachments smaller. Back to the drawing board...
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:52 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:I gotta figure out how to make the attachments smaller. Back to the drawing board...
Muskrat

Musky if you load your pictures through photobucket their is a resizing option there before you post them. It works for me.

:)
les taylor

Re:

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:38 pm

dram_time wrote:I like to take alot of close-up shots, with macro lenses and settings, am waiting on a x4mag attachment to arrive, than i hope to be able to get in really close. Again, alot of the quality will be gone with reductions.

And as above, nice pics everyone, will have to try the photo stiching thing.

Dt.

Nice shot Dram_Time, much the same kind of photography I like to take - when I get the chance.

Here are a couple of mine:

Deactivated Member

Postby Fergie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:58 pm

This is realy just a test to see if I can find the edit button.

And it's there and now being used, BUT does the edit button only appear on the last posting. ??????
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby Fergie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:31 pm

............... Why are we being denied an edit button
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby K-Mile » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:51 pm

Fergie wrote:.

............... Why are we being denied an edit button

Might have something to do with forum settings? The edit button is there on other subforums..

Edit: And it's still there after other posts. It will go away after a fixed amount of time, but I think that was set to at least a couple of hours...

Matt?
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Fergie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:04 am

Not much good though if you notice a mistake made on your posting of yesterday or even a couple of days ago
:cry:
Fergie
Bronze Member

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:05 am

Fergie wrote:Not much good though if you notice a mistake made on your posting of yesterday or even a couple of days ago

That's right.. But we will forgive you if you do :P
K-Mile
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder