Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your pictures are wanted!

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: Your pictures are wanted!

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:39 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I guess there are many ways to skin a cat because Bente and her mother leave it in water late in the evening before - but they change the water in the morning. Today's dinner was nothing less than fantastic - and it's strange that such a "primitive" dish can be so delicious. The Linkwood 10 yo Single Cask Dun Bheagan was a good match with the meat also. I think it's best to avoid smoky or heavily sherried whiskies to food like this.

Looks good to me .... I hope you eat the meat off the bone in your hands ... thats the way I like to finish off a lovely T-bone stake of lamb chops :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:00 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I guess there are many ways to skin a cat....

I'm confused. Didn't you say it was lamb?
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:16 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:I guess there are many ways to skin a cat....

I'm confused. Didn't you say it was lamb?

Lamb?? Who said anything about lamb?? It's cat actually! Mr Fjeld probably just said cat cause he knows people may get offended, like when "they" hear we also eat whale. Enjoy. Buon appetito!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:33 pm

I don't know if Norwegians actually eat whale, but I know from experience that tourists in Bergen do.
Deactivated Member

Postby Fergie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:39 pm

We should alwaye remember the dispicable activities of the Norwegians and Japanese in their continous slaughter of whales.
Fergie
Bronze Member

Location: In the middle of Scotland ( give or take a hundred miles or so, each way )

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:56 pm

I think it was the US Navy that killed more whales then the Norwegians and the Japanese, (probably more than both put together!!) a few years back. Not sure why though, research or something?? The Norwegians don't each much of it, it's more realistic that the tourists get a taste in the season.
Di Blasi

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:22 am

Whale meat was very popular in Britain during World War 2, it was so popular that even the forces sweetheart, Vera Lynn, sang about it. All together now:

Whale meat again
Don't know where
Don't know when . . . .
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:31 am

I was talking to a sales rep the other day that told me that much of the leather furniture which is flooding the high street stores at the moment which is made in China. It's not cow hide as you'd expect but whale hide.

Yep you read that correct whale hide. As it is so thick they slice the skin into several layers and so it goes a lot further. To make it have the texture of cow hide they run it through rollers to make it look like cow hide.

So if you see that leather sofa and it's so cheap, it's to good to be true. The answer is, it is to cheap to be true.

:(
Last edited by les taylor on Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:40 am

Thanks for that les taylor! Now we know where that part of this animal goes! Interestingly enough, not only is there a limit to what can be caught and sourced here, (from what I've learned), but the entire animal is used from what I've been told. Not sure about the rest though.
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:52 am

Paul A Jellis wrote:Whale meat was very popular in Britain during World War 2, it was so popular that even the forces sweetheart, Vera Lynn, sang about it. All together now:

Whale meat again
Don't know where
Don't know when . . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bet they had a whale of a time when they finally met though 8)
Mr Fjeld

Postby TreacleSponge » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:46 pm

Look what Santa brought for me today...
laptop.jpg
Mmmmm, lovely rubyness
laptop.jpg (57.69 KiB) Viewed 1096 times

It's my first ever laptop and there's a load of boring stuff I could tell you about dual core processor and Mbs of RAM, but obviously the best part of its spec is that it's ruby red. The picture's come out a bit more pillar box red than it actually is. It's perfect red. Not too scarlet, not too burgundy. Ooooooh, beautiful. And now I don't even have to get out of bed to post here :D
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:13 pm

Very nice TreacleSponge, and great background, looks very cozy as they say here in Norway. Enjoy the new machine.
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:26 pm

Congrats on your new machine Treacle and it's 12 O'clock.

:)
les taylor

Postby TreacleSponge » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:31 pm

After I posted I noticed the laptop matches my kettle. Ha ha, it's so important to co-ordinate your hardware with your kitchen appliances, don't you think? :roll:

Les - it's not 12.00, it's 200 degrees C - that's the thermostat on the oven. There's a big range on the other side of the kitchen so I don't really use this oven, but it boils water well, eats coal and wood and waste paper, and it warms the room nicely :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:04 am

TreacleSponge wrote:Look what Santa brought for me today...
laptop.jpg

It's my first ever laptop .... It's perfect red. Not too scarlet, not too burgundy. Ooooooh, beautiful. And now I don't even have to get out of bed to post here :D

So, are the coal scuttles full of coal or is it where you store your Caol Ila? Or are they coal scuttles at all? Look awfully clean. Nice laptop by the by. Hopefully my daughter doesn't see this picture and want one at Uni.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:25 pm

That's the beauty of photos - you can't see all the detail and I can trick you into thinking my kitchen is spotless. Really - solid fuel seems cute and cosy but it's foul - there's coaldust everywhere. I've taken my laptop away to a cleaner room now :)

You'd be so popular if you got your daughter one of these, and they have them in pink, blue, glossy white and loads of other colours. Am I sounding like I'm on commission from Dell?!
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:11 am

TreacleSponge wrote:That's the beauty of photos - you can't see all the detail and I can trick you into thinking my kitchen is spotless. Really - solid fuel seems cute and cosy but it's foul - there's coaldust everywhere. I've taken my laptop away to a cleaner room now :)

You'd be so popular if you got your daughter one of these, and they have them in pink, blue, glossy white and loads of other colours. Am I sounding like I'm on commission from Dell?!

I was actually wondering how old your home is. One of my cousins in Kent lives in a farmhouse that has, as a main beam, an old blackened ships beam while another lives in an old "Cider" house. Needless to say they are centuries old houses. Around here about 119-120 is tops for oldest house in town: http://www.heritagefdn.on.ca/userfiles/ ... 818_1.html
Besides that, how much is your Dell commission? Do they pay you in "Usquebach"? I'd love to get my offspring as new laptop, but her old one is newer and faster than the one I'm tapping away on right now.
:D
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:26 am

my modest but yummy collection thus far:

randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:22 pm

Very nice there randall fairbrook, looking good! What's the fourth over from the left in the tall black bottle with the purple label?? Nice to see the George T. Stagg, I'll be opening my Fall 2004, (64.5% sshhh!) bottling tonight!
Di Blasi

Postby randall fairbrook » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:40 pm

lemme know how that stagg tastes.....the one i got i am still skewing the dilution...but it is oh so good straight....

the bottle is compass box flaming heart.....and it is quite nice!
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:59 pm

Oh yes, Flaming Heart is supposed to be very good. Is your Stagg the same bottling as mine?? I've only tasted it once, perhaps a different bottling, and it was whew, mind, mouth and everything else blowing!! Really excited about it, as I've had it almost 2 years, and my missus enjoys good Bourbon so has also been interested in tasting it.
Di Blasi

Postby les taylor » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:41 am

TreacleSponge wrote:After I posted I noticed the laptop matches my kettle. Ha ha, it's so important to co-ordinate your hardware with your kitchen appliances, don't you think? :roll:

Les - it's not 12.00, it's 200 degrees C - that's the thermostat on the oven. There's a big range on the other side of the kitchen so I don't really use this oven, but it boils water well, eats coal and wood and waste paper, and it warms the room nicely :)

:wink: :lol:
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:20 pm

Beautiful shots Collector57!! (With your permission, I'd love to save one of each of them for my collection, saves me the trouble of taking the shots?)
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:34 pm

Tusen takk Collector57, grazie, merci, and thank you!!!
Di Blasi

Postby randall fairbrook » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:24 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Oh yes, Flaming Heart is supposed to be very good. Is your Stagg the same bottling as mine?? I've only tasted it once, perhaps a different bottling, and it was whew, mind, mouth and everything else blowing!! Really excited about it, as I've had it almost 2 years, and my missus enjoys good Bourbon so has also been interested in tasting it.

my stagg bottling is the newer 144.8 proof one...like velvet fire in the mouth
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:14 pm

Whew! Without water that'll burn right through your tastebuds I'll bet!
Di Blasi

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:51 pm

This picture of Caol Isla is dedicated to Collector57 and Muskrat Portage who kindly explained to the technically challenged (me) how to go about doing this. Thanks guys :thumbsup: .

It was a beautiful day when I took this in March this year and I always think when I am at Caol Isla that it doesn't matter where it is matured; anything that is made here must be fantastic. It's one of the most beautiful places on the planet I reckon.
Attachments
caol isla 2.JPG
caol isla 2.JPG (41.66 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
Willie JJ

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:26 pm

Very nice Willie, I look forward to visiting one day too! Hopefully the weather is so nice too.
Di Blasi

Postby Wave » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:39 pm

The weather wasn't nearly as nice when I visited Caol Ila in June '06. I was able to get this picture lightened up with a little RawShooter/PhotoPaint razzle-dazzle.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:05 am

Wow, beautiful shot there Wave! Really nice, looking forward to being there one day too.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:57 am

On a nice day, you can see the Paps (and my elbow) reflected in the stills. Wish they'd polish 'em up a bit more, though.

Deactivated Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:45 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:On a nice day, you can see the Paps (and my elbow) reflected in the stills. Wish they'd polish 'em up a bit more, though.

Aye, there's nowt worse than unpolished Paps.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:46 am

On a rainy day you cant see a damn thing. I still think its beautiful though.
caol isla 3.JPG
caol isla 3.JPG (28.4 KiB) Viewed 1115 times
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:50 am

I've clearly not mastered the photo posting yet. Wave and Mr. T seem to be able to post larger images without the scroll bars. All instruction on this subject is welcome.

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby Eat P » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:09 am

a wiew from the doorsteps of Caol ila distilleryshop on a warm springday of 2006....Nice!
Attachments
islay-2006-224.jpg
islay-2006-224.jpg (203.55 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
Eat P

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder