Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Are we conservative?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:20 am

I think whisky drinkers are quite a diverse crowd and if you look at the members of the forum it is quite evident. I know that in the clubs I run there are people from all political themes.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:38 am

Whether you mean politically conservative or prudish, I think you'll find some of us tend that way while others do not, just like in other groupings. Some of us dare to pour $100+ whisky on "an old trout" while others would never dream of it.

I don't water my whisky because I've ruined more drams than I've improved by doing so. I find other techniques (warming, time) have the same effect and are less likely to ruin it (leaving whisky in a glass all night is still dangerous).

I do cook and eat with whisky and don't care if that means I miss some nuances sometimes. I can and do taste seriously too, on other occasions.

I only put cheap whisky in mixes or with ice and that only on really hot summer days. Mostly for practical reasons I ask why would I want to cover up a good whisky? That said, I've been dying to try some Ardbeg in a café mocha and really should go wild and do it of these days :)

I am usually a highly logical fellow but my views on blends and vattings are undoubtedly biased by something. I don't know why and the logic of it escapes me but I do know that I don't buy either of them often for some reason. They can taste good but I just don't get as much satisfaction out of them. Illogical indeed but there is more to buying whisky than taste alone.

I'm a pragmatic guy. I drink what I drink because I like it and I drink it the way I drink it because that's how I like it. What else can I say?

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:56 am

Hi C_I,
I am wondering if you should have asked, "Are we Evangelical?"

I quite agree with Lawrence that the whisky crowd are a diverse bunch who are not shy to express their views. But, like this diverse social network, there is a huge breadth of whisky to sample. The bottom line for me is that we are a priveleged group who are fortunate to cultivate an interest in the drink of whisky. Far be it for me to tell another person how they are best to experience this luxury. Unlike Harry, I do enjoy vatted whiskies and on a personal note would love to hold (for example) a Compass Box tasting for my good friend to showcase the breadth of taste value in this department. But, then again, it is simply my opinion.

For the record, I may cautiously add water to CS whiskies and have experienced a dramatic difference in how it has enhanced the dram. Glenfarclas 105 is a prime example...but, I would not consider for a moment adding a drop of water to Glenugie 23 CS 61.9% or George T. Stagg. But, for another person, it may be the complete opposite. I would just say, "Go for it". NO purist in this camp.

Wendy
Last edited by Wendy on Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Cam » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:29 am

Personally I tend to lean slightly right of center. When it comes to drinking whisky I allow myself 3 or 4 drams 2 or 3 times a week. Now compared to others on this site I barely reach the 'conservative drinker' level.

The only water I will add would be to a CS whisky. Wouldn't dream of diluting a distillers perfection.To some people I know, I am viewed as a 'hard drinker' because I have my dram neat, no mixing or diluting.

As Lawrence says, 'we are a diverse crowd', we drink what we like and drink it the way we like. Though when asked in a private home if I would like a scotch I do feel a tad pompous asking what is being offered (a blend or single malt).
Cam

Postby kallaskander » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:37 am

Hi there,

of course I am a conservative drinker - any time I chose to be. I drink a cask strength malt without and with water just to see what happens. Sometimes I stick to drinking it plain furtheron sometimes it depends on my mood. I do not often drink blends because I find them flat in a way I could not really convey to someone else. So I do not buy blends. Vatted malts I do try sometimes, but emotionally I have problems with all that new stuff from the likes of Compass Box or JMR.

And Yes I have overwatered some drams deliberately to see what happens, to learn in what way water effects them. And I have never drunk a bad whisky or whiskey. I have had some I don´t have to have again, but I never had a bad whisky only whiskies I did not like and often I gave whiskies from that categorya another try. Sometimes they changed into another class sometimes they just stayed where the were.
I do not care much for scores or points and those almost never effect my choices. Too many times the scoreres have erred and would have kept me away from many a good dram. I do resent that so scores are out.

Greetings
kallaskander

PS I am not a missionary so
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:58 am

I'd try anything when it comes to whisky. Too many people are concerned about the image of the whisky drinker. I'd like to think I judge every whisky on its merits.

At whisky tastings, it's always the unpretentious people who aske the best questions. Those overly concerned with their image as a whisky drinker usually ask questions that they already know the answer to. They're not great fun to have a drink with either.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:50 am

Aidan wrote:At whisky tastings, it's always the unpretentious people who ask the best questions. Those overly concerned with their image as a whisky drinker usually ask questions that they already know the answer to. They're not great fun to have a drink with either.

Great point!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:46 pm

Wendy wrote:...Unlike Harry, I do enjoy vatted whiskies and on a personal note would love to hold (for example) a Compass Box tasting for my good friend to showcase the breadth of taste value in this department. But, then again, it is simply my opinion. ...
Wendy

Wendy, I enjoy the CBW offerings but for some reason I've never bought a bottle and don't fell a great compulsion to do so. As I said above, I just can't explain it -- it is purely emotional, and has nothing to do with the taste which is quite good. I like to say it is because they are priced like single malts but honestly, if they were $30/bottle I still might have to think about it.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Once Conservative, now Reform.

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:56 pm

Wendy wrote:Hi C_I,
...The bottom line for me is that we are a priveleged group who are fortunate to cultivate an interest in the drink of whisky. ... I do enjoy vatted whiskies and on a personal note would love to hold (for example) a Compass Box tasting for my good friend to showcase the breadth of taste value in this department. ... NO purist in this camp.Wendy

Wendy,
As always you communicate my sentiments well, I do feel priveleged not only to own and enjoy whisky, but also to share my experience with others. I started as a conservative simply because I knew little beyond the fact that I liked the flavour and how it cleansed my senses when I drammed. I was afraid of "screwing up", so was very cautious in drinking SMW with only a bit of water. And God help you if you offered me ice. Anathema to the nectar I thought!

I had moved to the point of acquiring other Nations' whisky when I started to review and post the forums. Now I have Irish, Canadian, Japanese and American whisky in my collection along with my traditional Single malts. I have just obtained a CB Peat Monster (yummm!) to go with my vatted Te Bheag, JW Green and others. SO, thanks to the forum, I have reformed in my perspective on whisky from the original conservative mold.

Whether others have evolved in the same manner is dependant on their experience and willingness to explore. I won't speak for others but do perceive an openess in the forum for different viewpoints, which is not conservative in nature. We may appear Conservative to the "great unwashed" but within our little cadre we really aren't.

To echo Wendy's sentiments:
NO purist in this camp

Musky Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Once Conservative, now Reform.

Postby Jan » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:14 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:SO, thanks to the forum, I have reformed in my perspective on whisky from the original conservative mold.

Whether others have evolved in the same manner is dependant on their experience and willingness to explore.

My thoughts exactly. The time I has spent here, has really opened my eyes to different whiskies, different ways to enjoy them etc.

But while I will certainly try anything once (Well most things... :wink: ), I think I tend to purchase in a conservative manner. It's one thing to have a dram at a pub, that it turns out you are not too enamoured of - and another thing to end up with an expensive bottle that you don't like.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Re: Once Conservative, now Reform.

Postby Frodo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:07 am

Jan wrote:But while I will certainly try anything once (Well most things... :wink: ), I think I tend to purchase in a conservative manner. It's one thing to have a dram at a pub, that it turns out you are not too enamoured of - and another thing to end up with an expensive bottle that you don't like.

Cheers
Jan

I echo these sentiments!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:08 am

hpulley wrote:Wendy, I enjoy the CBW offerings but for some reason I've never bought a bottle and don't fell a great compulsion to do so. As I said above, I just can't explain it -- it is purely emotional, and has nothing to do with the taste which is quite good. I like to say it is because they are priced like single malts but honestly, if they were $30/bottle I still might have to think about it.

Harry

I wouldn't!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:56 pm

I think everyone finds what works for him or her, and then tends to stick to it. For some, that means finding one or two favorite whiskies and staying with them. For others, it means finding a method of exploration and sticking with that. The latter would probably describe most of the people here; someone in the former camp would not have much interest in hanging around for long. I think we see lots of this type coming and going in short order.

Are we conservative in our drinking habits? Again, I think most of us find what works and stick with it. Water, Ice, microwave...most of us will try anything once. But I think most of us feel there is a right way to go about it, generally (although we may not quite agree on what that is!).

As for what I drink, I stick pretty much to single malts, because I have yet (in limited experience) to have a blend, vatted, Irish, or bourbon that really did much for me. I'm open to trying things, but generally, when it's my money, time, and energy on the line, I'd far rather try a previously unexperienced SM than anything else. There is more there for me to explore than I will ever get to. I have 70 unopened bottles here at home! If that somehow makes me "conservative", so be it. (George Carlin, sliding over on Jay Leno's couch, reportedly said "This is the only time I've ever been to the right of Ann Coulter.")

To paraphrase Evelyn Beatrice Hall, I may disapprove of what you drink, but I will defend until closing time your right to drink it.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:37 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:To paraphrase Evelyn Beatrice Hall, I may disapprove of what you drink, but I will defend until closing time your right to drink it.

Where I'm from, closing time is about 3 hours before you have to drink up and leave. Sometimes, it can be days.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:36 am

Are we conservative? As drinkers. I would reckon the answer is yes in many ways. I still think whiskey is better without water unless I can't get the most from it as in the case of GTS but that is one of the few csak srength whiskies I add water to.

As MrT says we all have our way of doing things and that is where the consevatism comes in. I feel I'm fairly adventurous having whisk(e)y from 7 different countries at the moment but at the end of the day I usually drink it a certian way.

So what are we really talking about :?: To be quite honeest I don't really know. How do you define conservative in relation to drinking whiskey :?: It is all relative at the end of the day....... but to what ?
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby bamber » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:06 am

I pretty conservative in my drinking tastes. I'll drink lager or stout (usually Guiness), when out of the house and whisk(e)y at home, 99% of the time. I will add ice if I want a refreshing drink and very occasionally make either a minty julip or a whisky sour. Mostly I drink whisk(e)y uncut.

I love Van Winkle Rye in a mint julip, but every time I mix with that whiskey I feel a sick feeling of remorse, knowing that it is wrong and I should be punished :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:08 pm

I wouldn’t think of this forum as being overly conservative, in that the majority would not impose there is ONE WAY and ONLY ONE WAY to enjoy a dram. In my time here, it seems that there is a wide array of posters that range from those who focus strictly on single malts, always neat, to members who enjoy drinks of nearly every kind and enjoy such liberal practices such as using water or ice, or even making their own home vattings/blends. I find the common theme on this forum is the healthy enthusiasm in appreciating most types of quality spirits to there fullest.

Within this forum, personally I wouldn’t call myself conservative in that I often add water to single malts, I enjoy at least one blend, like Irish whiskey, really like quality rum, enjoy many bourbons, and often drink what I consider to be well made beer. However, out in the real world of casual drinkers I’m seen as extremely conservative in my drinking practices. In that I don’t go out of my way to drink Bud Light out of a bottle, I don’t think JWR is good scotch, I don’t think doing shots of Cuervo is the best way to enjoy Tequila, and that a Captain & Coke is basically a Rum abomination. So when I’m telling my brother-in-law about Sainta Theresa 1796 Solera Aged Rum while he’s making a Cap & Coke, I suppose it’s all matter of perspective as to where one lies on a “How conservative a drinker are you” scale.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder