Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Going to paradise

General chat and talk about whisky.

Going to paradise

Postby SpiritofShetland » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:55 am

I'm just sitting here counting the days and hours. In just three days time I'll be leaving rainy old Trondheim, Norway behind and heading for rainy old Scotland.

The theme of the trip is as usual whisky - with Islay as the main goal.

But due to a rescheduling from the airline We (me and the Mrs) have to leave a couple of days earlier than planned. This isn't a bad thing, since it allows us to visit the Kingston Beer Festival outside London before heading north to Glasgow and then on to Inveraray.

A night will be spent in Inveraray and we will of course be paying a visit to Loch Fyne Whiskies before heading on to Oban, where we'll be staying two nights. A trip over to Mull is planned as well as Oban Distillery. That's when the real fun starts - on to Islay.

Almost a week (six days) will be spend on the Island of Paradise. All (hopefully) distilleries will be visited, and much will be sampled. Will be staying at the Lochindaal Hotel in Port Charlotte.

After leaving Islay we'll head back to Glasgow for a few days before EasyJet and Norwegian will be flying us back home.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:07 am

You lucky, me not.... :D

Have a nice trip and enjoy all the whiskies you'll be tasting. With almost six days you will have enough time to visit all the distilleries on Islay and experience something beyond them to.

No Scotland for me this summer, hopefully before X-mas though!!

Cheers and have a nice holiday...

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:13 am

Excellent!
Enjoy your trip.
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:35 pm

Way to go Arve! make sure you leave room in your luggage for some bottles coming back!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:05 pm

I always travel with a backpack capable of carrying at least 7 bottles (that's the maximum allowed into Norway without a special license (1 liter dutyfree and 4 liters to declare).
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:05 pm

Excellent itinerary. Have a wonderful time! It'll be difficult to restrict yourself to only 7 bottles, but what a great dilemna to have.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:17 pm

I thought you were talking about Celtic Park.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:34 pm

Or Tynecastle to see the other half of Scotland's big two.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:56 pm

Nick Brown wrote:Or Tynecastle to see the other half of Scotland's big two.

The final third of Scotland's big two. Well done Hearts, by the way.
Aidan

Postby Jan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:25 pm

Wish I was you, Arve - sounds like a very nice trip. Have fun...

Have you planned ahead on your purchases ?

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:32 pm

No plans whatsoever.

I've tried several times when travelig to put up a shoppinglist, but upon entering stores like Loch Fyne, Islay Whisky Shop and distillery shops these lists have a tendency to evaporate.

So I'll be doing what I always do - see what catches my fancy at the time.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:06 pm

SpiritofShetland wrote:I always travel with a backpack capable of carrying at least 7 bottles (that's the maximum allowed into Norway without a special license (1 liter dutyfree and 4 liters to declare).

So does this work out to 14 bottles between you and your significant other.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:14 pm

That's a great trip Arve, enjoy yourselves! I know what you mean about shopping lists and whisky shops - I never leave with what I went in for - always something better!

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:31 pm

Paul I agree with you totally.

I will soon be back in the UK for a few days and have already ordered 3 bottles to be shipped to my folks house.
Then there will be the bottles I buy at WoW in Stansted that I will need to find a way of carrying ........ etc.
Deactivated Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:41 am

lbacha wrote:So does this work out to 14 bottles between you and your significant other.
Len

In total - yes, if we both buy our full allowance. I guess the local chapter of the Norwegian Malt Whisky Society would want us to pick up as few bottles for them to while we're in the neighbourhood.

We'll see what temptations the different shops trow in our way.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:34 am

Enjoy your trip Arve!

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:22 am

SpiritofShetland wrote:I always travel with a backpack capable of carrying at least 7 bottles (that's the maximum allowed into Norway without a special license (1 liter dutyfree and 4 liters to declare).

Don't fancy the back packing 7 bottles part.... but would love the lightening of the load part..... :wink:

Enjoy
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:07 am

The backpacking 7 bottles is only for the last legs since I don't fancy sending the bottles as checked in luggage (I work in an airport and see how the bags handled).
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:27 am

SpiritofShetland wrote:......I work in an airport and see how the bags handled......

So is it true .... do they really play football with my bag every time I check it in ....... as that is usually what it looks like when I get it back :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:22 pm

It's more like a mix between rugby and basketball. Quite a bit of tossing going on.

My personal record is receiving my suitcase with a great big hole in the middle (this 'accident' happened most likeliy at Copenhagen Airport).

Another thing about not checking in the bottles are the weight. 7 bottles equals around 12-14kg, and with a total allowance of 20kg there's not room for much more.

Never had a problem with weight on my carry-on luggage. My personal record is around 20-25kg.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:00 pm

Lucky you!! Have a blast!
I wonder how you figure out 7 bottles to Norway?? 1 is the free-bee, and the other 6 bottles, times .7 liter, comes to 4.2 liters doesn't it? Please explain so I can be sure to also import max possible on my trip over the end of August.
And looking forward to hearing what you and misses find and decide to take home!
Have a great time!
Di Blasi

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:19 pm

Whisky normally (in Europe) comes in 0,7l bottles. 7 bottles comes to a total of 4,9 litres. The dutyfree allowance into Norway is 1 liter, which leaves 3,9 litres to declare.

The custom counts litres, so it doesn't matter if the litre is from several bottles.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:09 pm

SpiritofShetland wrote:Whisky normally (in Europe) comes in 0,7l bottles. 7 bottles comes to a total of 4,9 litres. The dutyfree allowance into Norway is 1 liter, which leaves 3,9 litres to declare.

The custom counts litres, so it doesn't matter if the litre is from several bottles.

That's good to hear! But I'm still confused. If you have to declare 3.9 liters, and you have 6 bottles of .7 of a liter each, that works out to 4.2 liters. Are they flexible with the .3 of a liter over?? Or is it 6 bottles that is actually possible to bring in? Thanks for clearing this up, and helping out with future purchases!
Di Blasi

Postby PuckJunkie » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:10 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
SpiritofShetland wrote:Whisky normally (in Europe) comes in 0,7l bottles. 7 bottles comes to a total of 4,9 litres. The dutyfree allowance into Norway is 1 liter, which leaves 3,9 litres to declare.

That's good to hear! But I'm still confused. If you have to declare 3.9 liters, and you have 6 bottles of .7 of a liter each, that works out to 4.2 liters. Are they flexible with the .3 of a liter over?? Or is it 6 bottles that is actually possible to bring in? Thanks for clearing this up, and helping out with future purchases!

I think he's saying that the duty free allowance encompasses both one entire .7 liter bottle and another .3 liter from whatever other bottle, leaving 3.9 liters to declare (the remaining .4 liter from that bottle + the remaining entire bottles). You can really just ignore the bottles, except to figure out how much total volume you have. .7*7 = 4.9, 1 liter is duty free, 3.9 left to declare. Doesn't matter that the liter comes out of two separate bottles, or that it doesn't completely account for the second bottle.

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:04 pm

SpiritofShetland wrote:1 liter dutyfree and 4 liters to declare).

5 liters allowed, minus 1 liter duty free, leaves 4 liters to declare and pay duty.
4 bottles at a liter each, or 5 bottles at .7 liter, (normal European size), totals 3.5 liters. A 6th bottle would total 4.2 liters, making that .2 liters over the allowable limit. Is this right, or am I missing something??? Does customs let you slide with .2 liters over?? I wouldn't think so!!
Thanks for helping clear this up!
Di Blasi

Postby PuckJunkie » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:31 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
SpiritofShetland wrote:1 liter dutyfree and 4 liters to declare).

5 liters allowed, minus 1 liter duty free, leaves 4 liters to declare and pay duty.
4 bottles at a liter each, or 5 bottles at .7 liter, (normal European size), totals 3.5 liters. A 6th bottle would total 4.2 liters, making that .2 liters over the allowable limit. Is this right, or am I missing something??? Does customs let you slide with .2 liters over?? I wouldn't think so!!
Thanks for helping clear this up!

In your scenario you're only using .7 liters of the allowable duty-free liter. You still get another .3 duty free. You have to pay tax on the other 3.9 liters.

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:35 am

That still doesn't help, but thanks for trying!
And still it doesn't compute, or maybe it's just me, haven't been drinking enough whisky lately.
Di Blasi

Postby SpiritofShetland » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:39 am

Then I'm off for the airport.

See you all in two weeks time.

Cheers
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Re: Going to paradise

Postby WHISKYNOSE » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:18 pm

SpiritofShetland wrote:I'm just sitting here counting the days and hours. In just three days time I'll be leaving rainy old Trondheim, Norway behind and heading for rainy old Scotland.

The theme of the trip is as usual whisky - with Islay as the main goal.

But due to a rescheduling from the airline We (me and the Mrs) have to leave a couple of days earlier than planned. This isn't a bad thing, since it allows us to visit the Kingston Beer Festival outside London before heading north to Glasgow and then on to Inveraray.

A night will be spent in Inveraray and we will of course be paying a visit to Loch Fyne Whiskies before heading on to Oban, where we'll be staying two nights. A trip over to Mull is planned as well as Oban Distillery. That's when the real fun starts - on to Islay.

Almost a week (six days) will be spend on the Island of Paradise. All (hopefully) distilleries will be visited, and much will be sampled. Will be staying at the Lochindaal Hotel in Port Charlotte.

After leaving Islay we'll head back to Glasgow for a few days before EasyJet and Norwegian will be flying us back home.

Hy spirit of Shetland,

While you're enjoying yourself on Islay can you do me a favour, let me explain the question:

Several years ago I went on a sailing-trip trough the Hebrides and came trough the Sound Of Islay (from the north), we docked at Port Askaig but I cannot seem to remember seeing Coal Isla (i wasn't interested in distilleries then).
When you're in the neighbourhood try to get the location, in distance from the harbour, it would be appreciate if you do so !!

BTW have a nice trip and enjoy this gorgeous island.
WHISKYNOSE

Postby No Man » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:51 am

WHISKYNOSE wrote:Several years ago I went on a sailing-trip trough the Hebrides and came trough the Sound Of Islay (from the north), we docked at Port Askaig but I cannot seem to remember seeing Coal Isla (i wasn't interested in distilleries then).
When you're in the neighbourhood try to get the location, in distance from the harbour, it would be appreciate if you do so !!

Caol Ila: N55° 51' 15.3" W6° 6' 34.2"
Port Askaig: N55° 50' 53.9" W6° 6' 19.5"

Approximate straight-line distance: 600 metres
No Man

Postby WHISKYNOSE » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:50 am

No Man wrote:
WHISKYNOSE wrote:Several years ago I went on a sailing-trip trough the Hebrides and came trough the Sound Of Islay (from the north), we docked at Port Askaig but I cannot seem to remember seeing Coal Isla (i wasn't interested in distilleries then).

Caol Ila: N55° 51' 15.3" W6° 6' 34.2"
Port Askaig: N55° 50' 53.9" W6° 6' 19.5"

Approximate straight-line distance: 600 metres

No man,

Thanks very much, now I can sort things out !!
WHISKYNOSE

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:37 pm

Not quite the same paradise, but I am coming back to the UK for a few days, which will give me chance to raid WoW!

See you all next week.
MT
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder