Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland hotel launches own still

General chat and talk about whisky.

Highland hotel launches own still

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:13 pm

From BBC UK/Scotland:

Scotland's first private distillery in nearly 200 years began production in Wester Ross on Tuesday.
It took John and Frances Clotworthy three-and-a-half years of legal wrangling with HM Revenue and Customs to gain permission for the distillery.

The couple, who run the Drumchork Hotel at Aultbea, already offer guests one of the largest collections of whiskies in the world.

Their small still uses a process that was once outlawed in Scotland.

Mr Clotworthy said he hoped to use it to produce a single malt, to be known as the Spirit of Loch Ewe.

The Clotworthys already offer more than 500 single malts spread across two bars at their hotel, which overlooks the loch.

The rest of the article can be found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/hig ... 120066.stm

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:34 pm

In other words they are producing moonshine ... Basically these little pot still created spirit which was pretty much drunk shortly after distilling i.e. no casking unlesss there was a surplus. To call it whisky nodays of course they have to age it a min of 3 years in oak casks but are they going to age it any way decently, be interest to know and to taste ..... no real details in the report but and excellent idea and novel too.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby PuckJunkie » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:48 pm

Interestingly, I saw the Drumchork Hotel is one of the exhibitors lined up for Whisky Live in Toronto. Show up and have all your questions answered!

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:05 am

PuckJunkie wrote:Interestingly, I saw the Drumchork Hotel is one of the exhibitors lined up for Whisky Live in Toronto. Show up and have all your questions answered!

Puck

Now where's my boat parked ..... :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby The Dazzler » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:32 am

The Drumchork Lodge hotel is an excellent place to visit. Over 500 whiskies to choose from, regular conducted tastings and is situated in one of the best areas of Scotland, not the easiest to get to but well worth the visit.

The idea behind the Potstill was initially to show visitors how whisky was being made a few hundred years ago, a novel idea aimed at teaching scottish heritage. The hope was that during the course of a stay at the hotel you could turn your hand at making whisky and having a small sample to take away with you, (back in the day folks would drink the stuff straight off the still). Over the past few years they hit stumbling blocks mostly with the law and laterly with the high winds lashing the North West. However, they now have their license and now plan to produce a whisky which will be aged.

Definately pay a visit to their stand in Toronto, John is a great guy, really down to earth and I'm glad he has finally got his break with his ambition to have a distillery.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:21 am

I hope the Irish government is as understanding when I start selling homemade cigarettes.

It does sound like an interesting project. I'd have a go at a distillery if I won the lotto. How much would it cost to start a distilling operation from scratch?
Aidan

Postby bamber » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:55 am

Not sure you need to win the lotto:
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:54 pm

Is that Mr. T?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby bamber » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:11 pm

:lol:
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:43 pm

Two questions regarding the headline in this article .
1) whats constitutes a private distillery ?
2) Does Daftmill in Fife not beat this one by several months ?

Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:39 am

Because of the legalities in still sizes, would this now mean any other distiller, i.e Edradour use a smaller still? As technically this still is now legal
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder