Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

MICHEL COUVREUR WHISKIES

General chat and talk about whisky.

MICHEL COUVREUR WHISKIES

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:40 am

Just read this from the Royal Mile site...

Basically a Frenh guy doing his own casking and bottling of Edradour whisky... Maybe this is from whom the Edradour got all their inspiration from... remember all those cask finishes.

The interesting part is the younger bottles which he is calling 'Clearach' instead of whisky. He cannot call it whisky as it is under 3 years old. Is this a new drinks section. How do people view this type of product and is there a place for it in todays whisky market. However eventhough some have this very young spirit some of the others have fairly old whisky mixed with 10 or 12yo whisky which of course can only be stated as 10 or 12yo.

What do you the whisky drinking public think f developments like this....

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/category.asp?cat_id=HELPCOUV&rt=0&rid=182064&src=JULY06&
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:10 pm

I've had a few (three in total) of Mr. Couvreur's whiskies and I can't say I'll be running to RMW to buy of any of his bottling.

Quite quaint that he buys newmake, stores the whisky partly in Scotland and often reracks it to a new cask and then again stores it, but this time in Burgundy (I think it was).

Not my cup of tea...
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:56 pm

SpiritofShetland wrote:I've had a few (three in total) of Mr. Couvreur's whiskies and I can't say I'll be running to RMW to buy of any of his bottling.

Quite quaint that he buys newmake, stores the whisky partly in Scotland and often reracks it to a new cask and then again stores it, but this time in Burgundy (I think it was).

Not my cup of tea...

What did you try... and if you can remember can you let us know what about these bottlings you did not like.

Personally I don't like the sound og the very young stuff but had a half inkling to try one of the older expressions.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby SpiritofShetland » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:12 pm

The two I can remember (as in have notes) is:
* Bere Barley (45%, min 16yo) - ruined spirit (10 years is sherrycasks in Scotland, then reracked to new sherrycask for another 6 years in Burgundy).

* Single Grain (44%, min 4yo) - sweet, oily, nice enough grain, but far from the best I've had.

I've had another one - but that was one late evening at a mate's, so no notes just a vague remebering that we all had to grab for a bottle of malt to rinse out our palates.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Actually, the spirit could be matured for over 3 years old, but not in Scotland. I believe that there is a Lamerlaw 12 that was matured in New Zealand for 12 years, before being shipped to the U.K. when Cadenhead bought it. The subsequent years it spends in the cask does not legally increase the age, as it is now outside New Zealand...
Aidan

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder