Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dear Toronto

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:13 pm

Hey, thanks, Jays, for taking three of four from the Yankees this weekend.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:54 am

PuckJunkie wrote:Mark - You shouldn't take my comments to mean I would rule out racism completely. But I think much of the racism talk comes from the incident when he was berated by an opposing crowd with racially-oriented taunts. On the other hand, it's difficult for someone living where I do to even consider racism against native Americans. There are so few living here - even in Oklahoma, where I'm originally from - that there's just no real problem with it in the area. Or (just as likely) there's a problem, but it gets zero attention since it impacts so few people.

Puck

No worries...but there really is a problem with racism targeting Natives in other parts of the country as well as Canada, plus hockey still has a problem with the issue of racism in general. Ask guys like Anson Carter, Mike Grier, and Donald Brashear about some of the crap they've gotten over the years...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:26 pm

MGillespie wrote:...but there really is a problem with racism targeting Natives in other parts of the country as well as Canada, plus hockey still has a problem with the issue of racism in general. Ask guys like Anson Carter, Mike Grier, and Donald Brashear about some of the crap they've gotten over the years...

Mark

Stories about what it's like in the minor leagues for these guys is pretty scary!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:26 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Hey, thanks, Jays, for taking three of four from the Yankees this weekend.

No problem. Boston's next (if the back end of our pitching holds up)!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby PuckJunkie » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:09 am

MGillespie wrote:No worries...but there really is a problem with racism targeting Natives in other parts of the country as well as Canada, plus hockey still has a problem with the issue of racism in general. Ask guys like Anson Carter, Mike Grier, and Donald Brashear about some of the crap they've gotten over the years...

Mark

I completely believe you. It's just a foreign concept where I live. Of course, I automatically assume Grier, Carter, et al. get more than their share; we're much more familiar with that particular brand of racism here. Although I always, for some reason, assumed our northern brethren were more enlightened. I was a little shocked - and disappointed - when Vanbiesbrouck pulled his stunt a few years back with then-Stars-prospect Trevor Daley.

Drifting slowly off topic... just remember, Toronto, I'm watching you! You're outside the circle of trust now!

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

They bear watching

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:25 am

Puck:
We've been watching Toronto for years from the safety of our rocks and swamps. Still haven't quite figured them out yet but keep in mind T.O. isn't an indicator for the rest of the province. "We" can still be trusted.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:27 am

Pete, you have swamps that far north? Thought it was just permafrost! ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Summer for an instant

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:31 am

MGillespie wrote:Pete, you have swamps that far north? Thought it was just permafrost! ;) Mark

Yeah, we're just heading into our week long thaw, then it's back to winter. You know the old saying, "11 months of winter and 4 weeks of tough sledding".
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:33 am

Yeah...we had the same thing in Alaska...10 months of winter, six weeks of mud, and two weeks of summer!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Re: They bear watching

Postby Frodo » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:44 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Puck:
We've been watching Toronto for years from the safety of our rocks and swamps. Still haven't quite figured them out yet but keep in mind T.O. isn't an indicator for the rest of the province. "We" can still be trusted.
Muskrat

Hi Muskrat:

I thought your area was part of the GTA?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:59 pm

:P

Do you guys have "Torontonian's View Of The World" maps, as we do for Bostonians and Noo Yawkers? Kenora is a few blocks north of Steele, yes?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:01 pm

And by the way...

Frodo wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Hey, thanks, Jays, for taking three of four from the Yankees this weekend.

No problem. Boston's next (if the back end of our pitching holds up)!

...in your dreams!

Our pitching staff is full of back ends. :?
Deactivated Member

Canadien Jografee

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:06 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote: Do you guys have "Torontonian's View Of The World" maps, as we do for Bostonians and Noo Yawkers? Kenora is a few blocks north of Steele, yes?

Yeah, we're all just a part of the GTA and this afternoon I'm going to drop by WestVanDaves' for tea. :D
Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:49 pm

OK...assuming airport security and Customs let me in, I'll be in Toronto for Whisky Live on October 14th!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:40 pm

Great Mark! How long will you be staying?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:09 pm

MGillespie wrote:OK...assuming airport security and Customs let me in, I'll be in Toronto for Whisky Live on October 14th!

Mark

DEAR MARK...assuming your arrival at the airport is smooth sailing, there is a great pub with a selection of over 100 whiskies in walking distance from the CNE (Whisky Live event site). It could be the post-whisky fest' water hole. As I wrote in another thread to you, as we approach October 14th, we can make plans. As well, other suggestions from WL attendees are most welcomed. It should be a fun evening.

I am looking forward to meeting you.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:20 pm

Thanks, Wendy! Now as long as Mr. T doesn't decide to play a prank and alert Canadian Customs to strip-search everyone coming in from Philly with a lot of audio gear that day, this should be a fun weekend!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:38 pm

You may well believe that I have no sway with Canadian Customs! Lucky for you. I dearly wish I could join y'all, but Ron and I will be ensconced at the bar of the Stromness Hotel in Orkney that evening. Guess we'll have to make do.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:40 am

That sounds like fun, too...you will be bringing enough underwear this year, right? ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:58 am

It doesn't matter how much you pack if the airline doesn't send it along.

And hey, that was Ron. I wore clean underwear every day!
Deactivated Member

So near and yet...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:53 pm

I can only blow into Toronto on Sept 1-2 and then have to return to the wastelands of the North, after safely enscounsing my offspring back into higher education. October 14 is just a bit too far away this trip.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:19 pm

Hi Pete:
I am on my holidays during your visit to Toronto. This vacation is a compromise between spending time on the Peninsula and Toronto (must keep the teens happy!) I will more than likely be on the Peninsula when you arrive in town. I will email you if my plans change.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder