Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

News from Bruichladdich

General chat and talk about whisky.

News from Bruichladdich

Postby kallaskander » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:52 pm

Hi there,

just received the newsletter from Gauntleys of Nottingham. There are some new releases from Bruichladdich discussed there. Most interesting is probably this:

"Port Charlotte 5 year old ‘PC5 Evolution’ 67% £TBC

Fresh Sherry

Peated to 40ppm

Finally some of this amazing sprit will see the light of day, probably around September time. The plan is to do a yearly release of numbered bottles, with the first release being limited to 6000 bottles world wide. It will be bottled at cask strength, somewhere around the 66/7% mark, and is going to be an instantaneous collectors edition, so if you would like a bottle, please let me know as soon as possible, and I will put you on the shortlist. Once a price has been set I will let you know.

So what does it taste like – my notes read as follows. Wow, wow and thrice wow! – This is stunning, loads of luxurious, silky sherry fruit aromas lift from the glass. Complex and inviting with loads of stinky bog myrtle peat, smoke and brine. This has buckets of character with honied malt and a cereal note. The palate is equally luscious with honied sherry fruit, Bowmore-esque smoky-peat and tangy fruit. This has been matured in casks of the highest quality, no off notes, just luscious, juicy fruit finishing with lazy smoke, coal tar and coastal notes. Water mellows the sherry intensity on the nose brining out a coffee/ spice note and emphasising the earthiness. Whilst on the palate it brings out a mellow light orange/ apricot and citrus note. Just barley noticeable on the finish is a touch of new make spirit, just to remind you how young it really is, but it is brief and only really noticeable if you have had the opportunity to taste this remarkable spirit in its formative years. It has a lovely length and exits with a mouthfilling smokiness.

So what of Octomore I hear you say. Well the word is that it may be released next year. Bruichladdich decided that one at a time is probably the best way. Also they haven’t quite decided how it is going to be released. They have so far produced three batches so far, the first was peated to 80ppm, the second at 120ppm and the third at a monstrous 200ppm! Apparently Jim prefers the 80ppm batch and the release may come all from that batch, or it is a possibility that they may well put together a vatting. Which ever way they do it, It will certainly be a treat."

That is quoted from the current newsletter which has been sent but is not yet online in the newsletter archive there.

http://www.gauntley-wine.co.uk/
http://www.gauntley-wine.co.uk/whisky.html

That explains a thing or two concerning the Octomore peat levels, at least for me.

Greetings

kallaskander
Last edited by kallaskander on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:51 pm

Anybody who wants to come visit me in Norway with a few bottles of this Narcotic substance is very welcome to do so.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Hmmm

Postby Duffer » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:59 pm

SpiritofShetland wrote:with a few bottles....

I would like to help but....
I am certainly not going through Norwegian customs with more than allowed... Which is 1.0 Liter... :D
Duffer

Re: Hmmm

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:32 pm

Duffer wrote:
SpiritofShetland wrote:with a few bottles....

I would like to help but....
I am certainly not going through Norwegian customs with more than allowed... Which is 1.0 Liter... :D

That wouldn't be your biggest concern as spirit exceding 60% is regarded as a narcotic drug in Norway and would make you liable for legal prosecution. It's not a joke :(

............however, if you bring me a bottle I'll try to talk some sense into their heads :wink:
Welcome to the forum Duffer :)

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder