Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A young enthusiest

General chat and talk about whisky.

A young enthusiest

Postby Setanta » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:06 am

Hey, I'm the newest member to join the site, although I've been reading articles and reviews for months now, and am hoping to become a subscriber soon. I'm in college in Texas right now, and while many of my friends are buying cheap liquor and getting trashed at keggers, I spend much of my money trying to try as many different whiskies as I can. I have completely fallen in love with the beauty of this woderful drink.

As much as I love whisky, I have a hard time picking up all the subtleties, and many of the tastes that the reviewers sense are completely lost to me. I was wondering if any of the knowlegable people on this site can give me any advice. Will my ability to detect the subtlties in great whisky grow with time? Are there some brands that are better for beginners?

It is one of my dreams to become a whisky expert. I see whisky as a form of liquid art and I would love any advice I could get regarding how to better apreciate it.

Thanks, truly
Setanta

Postby les taylor » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:21 am

Welcome Setanta, a good whisky matures with age so does our whisky palate. It can't be rushed it will come in time, just enjoy the journey. les.
P.s enthusiast is spelt with an a. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:00 am

You could listen to http://www.whiskycast.com, which as an item on whisky tasting. Remember, a lot of the subtelties that the experts pick up are in their heads. If you like one whisky over another, that's a start.

Try whiskys from different kinds of cask and note the differences. Try bourbon casked whisky, sherry casked whisky, port casked whisky... and combinations of these.

Try peated whisky, unpeated whisky, sweet whsky, dry whisky, young whisky, old whisky.... Note the differences between them all.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:02 pm

As much as I love whisky, I have a hard time picking up all the subtleties, and many of the tastes that the reviewers sense are completely lost to me. I was wondering if any of the knowlegable people on this site can give me any advice. Will my ability to detect the subtlties in great whisky grow with time? Are there some brands that are better for beginners?

For starters don't beat yourself up, if you don't taste what somebody else tastes it's means nothing. However I'll bet you taste something and that's what's important.

As long as you enjoy whisky don't over stress yourself.

Welcome to the forum,

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:35 am

les taylor wrote:P.s enthusiast is spelt with an a. :)

...and so is, A R D B E G !!!
Di Blasi

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:44 pm

A couple of books that might be helpful to you are Jim Murray's 2006 Whiskey Bible and Michael Jackson's Whiskey: The Difinitive World Guide.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184442 ... 69?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078949 ... 69?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076241 ... 69?ie=UTF8

Scott
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby pouranother » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:02 pm

Welcome!

As has been stated, don't beat yourself up trying to pick-up notes that other people are detecting. If you read the tasting notes from different people, you'll find them all different. So, it really is a matter of taste.

Try to taste as many different malts as you can, as you go you will find subtle similarities and be able to note them. I've only been drinking malts for a short time, so I'm no expert, but I can taste and characterize flavors much better than when I started.

The most important thing to remember: ENJOY and APPRECIATE what nature and a little imaginiation has given you.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:56 am

Aidan, thanks for the plug!

Welcome, Setanta, and since you're in New York City, you might want to stop by the Brandy Library in Manhattan before you head back to school. They're running spirit schools on the 15th, 22nd, and 29th of August that will be tutored tasting sessions...and you might benefit from that...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:10 am

Aaaaahhh, Jim Murray's Whisky Bible, a definite top companion for any whisky lover! His suggestions lead the way, I find I like most all of his picks, except for just a few. But his openness and style of writing and passion makes for great reading. It's a great reference book to have on hand at all times.
Di Blasi

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder