Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ban on liquids in carry on luggage

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Aidan » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:04 am

In Dublin, they're now doing that thing they do in New York, where you buy your duty free and collect it in a sealed bag after you go through security.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:27 am

As I would like to bring some bottles back from WoW Stansted after my visit to Glasgow's Whisky-Live, I am watching all discussions like this with intererest.

As I look at the BBC site I see the following:

"Once through security, passengers travelling to any destination except the US can buy items in the departures lounge and take them on board.
Passengers boarding US-bound flights - and any items they are carrying, including those bought in departures - will be subjected to secondary search at the gate. No toiletries, cosmetics, drinks or liquids purchased in departures will be allowed on board, but food is allowed."

This seems to tell me that flying from UK to Germany I am OK. I sould be able to buy from WoW and bring my purchases with me. Whereas this would NOT be allowed on a UK to USA flight.

I hope this is really the case.

Full story here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4789593.stm

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:58 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:As I would like to bring some bottles back from WoW Stansted after my visit to Glasgow's Whisky-Live, I am watching all discussions like this with interest. ...This seems to tell me that flying from UK to Germany I am OK. I sould be able to buy from WoW and bring my purchases with me. Whereas this would NOT be allowed on a UK to USA flight.
MT

Malt Teaser:
I'd be asking the airline I plan on flying with what their policy is on bringing back purchases, before I booked the tickets. It seems over here that Duty Free is subject to the decisions made by the airlines, as the federal regulatory agencies seem to be agreeing to allow duty free purchases made past their security cordon.
If the airline says No Duty Free, I'd book with someone else and follow up with a letter of complaint to the refusing corporation. They do hate to lose money.
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:40 am

So what will happen on KLM if I buy in the UK en route to Amsterdam, and then board in Amsterdam for the US? I don't usually buy at the duty free, as I'm already well encumbered with bottles, but last year I bought the Sig 5yo Islay on a whim. I won't really miss it, but the hysteria bugs me.

Aidan wrote:In Dublin, they're now doing that thing they do in New York, where you buy your duty free and collect it in a sealed bag after you go through security.

Aren't you already through security when you are in the duty free?

I've heard that in some cases you won't get your purchase until disembarking. I think that's fine (until someone loses a bottle, of course).
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:48 am

Maybe that's how it works. I think when I was in New York coming back to Dublin, we went through a scan before picking up the duty free again.
Aidan

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:39 pm

A friend left Detroit for London, not sure which airport, 2 days after this big incident, and was allowed to carry on his camera, ipod, and all initially banned electronics. Still no makeup, toothpaste etc. And another friend flying into New York from Frankfurt a week ago was allowed on with mobile phone etc too. Still no makeup or toothpaste or bottle of water etc. But of course duty free is open, and once you pass through the checkpoint, you can shop, and carry on to the plane, makeup, alcohol, etc, whatever airport you're flying in or out of it seems.
Di Blasi

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder