Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Political Correctness - When will it End?!

General chat and talk about whisky.

Political Correctness - When will it End?!

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Recently I enquired about Corporate Sponsorship for a Cancer Research Assoc. in Australia.
To my absolute amazement this is the response I received...
"Hi Troy,

Thank you for your email enquiry and your interest in supporting The Cancer XXX(I think I should keep their True name secret) and the work that we do. Unfortunately our health criteria for companies we can partner with would not permit any partnerships with the drinks industry."

In my opinion this is just ridiculous, especially when so many groups these days are calling for higher taxes on alcohol to support these such assoc.

Is this political correctness gone too far??
Maybe I should post this in an Australian newspaper and inform the public what really happens with these groups and their policies...??

Share your thoughts...
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:48 am

Well, you'll get no argument from me.

Political correctness is a plague and blight on society, and the pendulum has swung so far in Australia that it frequently sickens and disgusts me.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:21 am

So for the sake of discussion, want to define political correctness? In the United States, people often throw out that term in their own defense, usuaully when engaging in prejudiced behavior....
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:43 am

I think political correctness has gone mad, but a lot of thing are represented as political correctness gone mad even when there's good reason.

I wouldn't be at all comfortable if it was a cigarette company sponsoring a cancer charity, but isn't a little alcohol good for you?

That said, alcohol is a serious problem in Ireland.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi there,

not the alcohol itself Aidan but that the Irish drink a lot of it. :P

But every country has that problem to a more or less extend.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi Kallaskander

Yes, you're absolutely right. Unfortunately, the many Irish seem to be proud about the amount they drink. Not that I don't overindulge myself from time to time...
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:09 pm

kallaskander wrote:Hi there,

not the alcohol itself Aidan but that the Irish drink a lot of it. :P

Greetings
kallaskander

You see this could be construed as Politically incorrect :lol: picking on us poor Irish and we only have pints of Guinness and whisky to keep us going. :lol:

'God invented whisky to keep the Irish from ruling the world' :P

but on the serious part of the topic

A friend of mine lived in Japan for years and she was very taken aback about the Japanesse impressions of the Irish, but she did very little to educate these same people and only seemed to get angered by it all.

But at the end of the day if your impressions of others is misconcieved you still should be able to voice them. It is only through debate and dialog that these impressions can be confirmed or quashed. However it's when you use these impressions to penalise or victimise people, it's then it becomes wrong.

I shudder when I see people getting so uptight about so called political incorrect statements.

If someone calls me a drunken paddy I see that as their issue and not mine and don't take offence. But if I was lying on the floor drunk you could not blame the person for saying it. Live and let live and get on with it. However we do not live in a free world and never have or will and censorship is getting worse every day. So we should try and hang on to as much 'Freedom' as we can and that includes freedom of speech.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:37 pm

we only have pints of Guinness and whisky to keep us going...

And don't forget Potatoes?! :lol:

but isn't a little alcohol good for you

See this is were one of the issues I speak of lies...many experts(health officials) have claimed that alcohol in moderation can be beneficial to your health, and now the problem lies within the Defination of moderation!!
No health official will commit to an actual 'measured' amount of alcohol to be defined as moderate consumption.
Scientists have confirmed that there are elements for example, in Red wine, that are quite beneficial to one's health but the Health officials still can't come up with a definative answer on what a moderate amount of alcohol would be to consume to be able to gain these health benefits.

It's like the old saying..."An apple a day...etc." Well...health officials and scientists alike have determined that if you do indeed eat an apple a day, you may end up with rotten teeth?? - Due to the high sugar content in fruit.
So now what we have to say for example is..."An apple a day...blah, blah...but remember to clean your teeth afterwards!!"

I am aware that sometimes there is going to be the need for 'political correctness', but lets be sensible about it!

Thanks for your comments too people! :D
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:48 pm

This website is not accessible from the David Lloyd gym in Bristol as it's about alcohol, yet they serve the stuff in the same bar the computers are situated.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:23 pm

Hi there,

you meant "An apple a day keeps the doctor away - but you have to aim carefuly" ?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:35 am

Maybe to help promote responsible drinking and thinking a cancer foundation should be involved, to help teach what happens when you over do it, (ie liver cancer) and that moderate amounts of good alcohol is healthy!
Good luck!
Di Blasi

Postby Richiyaado » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:11 am

I certainly agree that PC has run amok... it's almost become a substitute for common sense.

I don't know about Australia, but my guess is that a similar sponsorship proposal in the U.S. would probably get shot down by the lawyers, for fear of liability. These days, large organizations have become extremely risk-averse, particularly in an atmosphere of specious lawsuit after specious lawsuit. It's a shame.
Richiyaado

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:35 am

First of all let me say I'm sorry for being political correct but:

Although someone might find charity campaigns funded by alcohol companies offensive, one still has to consider if the companies really wish to promote moderate drinking. Are they not interested in maximising profits? Sure, out of political correctness in our own society they probably are - and it's good for business because if we all start binge drinking it's probably back to the prohibition time again - in no time! But it is also a fact that the large international companies have nothing against ignoring such responsabilities when they push alcoholic beverages in third world countries. And if you think about it, the temperance movement and the prohibition wasn't formed with the aim of taking away people's fun - it was an answer (although a bad one) to a problem.

The second point to consider is perhaps an even more valid reason as numerous companies in sectors like heavy industry, pharmaceutical companies etc. are buying legitimacy when they use their money on charity. They quite often also buy silence and quiet accept, and when information about possibly dangerous conditions never reaches the general public it isn't to our benefit. It also goes the other way when environmental organisations pressure companies for "extortion money" when they threaten to expose possible embarassing information - and you have silence once more.

Just a few thoughts as nothing really is black and white.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:47 am

Aw, you're no fun, Christian. You actually think about stuff. Who has the time? It's so much easier just to slag someone you disagree with as "politically correct", or some other convenient and simplistic label.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder