Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How many Single Malt Scotch Distilleries have you tried?

General chat and talk about whisky.

How many single malt distilleries have you tried?

All current or recently closed, appox. 125
No votes
100-124
18%
75-99
18%
50-74
18%
25-49
41%
under 10
6%

Total votes : 34

How many Single Malt Scotch Distilleries have you tried?

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:45 pm

According the the Maltmadness.com, there are appox. 125 working or recently closed Single Malt Scotch distilleries. How many have you tried?

In the mid 80s myself. A few that are easy to find that I need to track down. Living in North Carolina makes it hard; but I am working on it.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:05 pm

There's a bit of a gap between 10 and 25, but I'd guess I've had over 25. I've lost count, though.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:12 pm

Have about 10 distilleries left, but I've got samples from 5 of them. Still waiting for the opportunity to taste a Ben Wyvis..... :shock:
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Whiskana » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:26 pm

Aidan wrote:There's a bit of a gap between 10 and 25...

I'm probably caught in the middle... :(
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:49 pm

Just did a rough count, flipping through MJ's Companion, and came up with 67. That's very rough, though--there are quite a few I've had a dram of here or there, or think I have. Not sure about some. Guess I should keep better track!
Deactivated Member

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:33 pm

Just made it into the 50-74 category with 50. There's another 20 or 30 that would be easy enough to get ahold of, but I keep passing up for one reason or another.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:11 am

I can only account for 26 which just barely gets me into the 25-50 group :shock:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:28 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I can only account for 26 which just barely gets me into the 25-50 group :shock:

But the good news is, you still have the joy of knowing that there are 100 left to try :D Just now, I opened and tried a 50ml sample of Toremore, my first time with this malt. Average minus, nothing charicterful, a bit muted, some nice malt and spice on the finish. Tommarow is a sample of Inverlaven, defunct Lowland.

My own personal goal is to have had one from each distillary by my 43 B day (just under two years).

Of course, a few are very rare, hard to get, and very pricey. We shall see
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:15 am

Hmm.. around 45 I think. I aim to taste at least one expression of all working distilleries eventually - but it's not something I have a plan for or anything. Don't know if I'll ever get them all - but it is not that important... as long as I drink good whisky. :D

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:39 am

Having had a quick count - I think I can get to 99 malts but not quite sure whether I creep over the 100. Grains would definitely take me over, so I have voted for that category, but I'll have to have a Tormore to make sure! I have tried to avoid double counting (e.g. Longrow and Springbank only count as one).
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:58 am

I can count about 61 going thorough thewhiskyexchange a - z, but many of them have been just a mini or sample. There are no doubt a few I've had at the SMWS, bar that I've forgotten.

There are a few - like Strathisla, that I really must try.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:11 pm

Over 100 so far and counting, this last trip really bumped me up, I tried over 110 different whiskies. :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:18 pm

I'm somewhere in the mid to late thirties, according to my calculations.
Aidan

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:59 pm

Lawrence wrote:Over 100 so far and counting, this last trip really bumped me up, I tried over 110 different whiskies. :D

What a martyre! :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:15 am

Lawrence wrote:Over 100 so far and counting, this last trip really bumped me up, I tried over 110 different whiskies. :D

That's a lot Lawrence! Good to see the infamous scottish midget ponies didn't get you! Hope you had a nice vacation!

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:12 am

Looking through my inventory, I find that I have owned full bottles from about 30 distilleries. Just to show how on top of things I am, I am astonished to find that I bought a bottle of Millburn from Joe Howell only a month ago! Damned if I can find it.
Deactivated Member

Postby dram_time » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:35 am

Bullie wrote:Have about 10 distilleries left, but I've got samples from 5 of them. Still waiting for the opportunity to taste a Ben Wyvis..... :shock:

Pop round tonight and we will crack one open and wash it down with a few cans of Tennents super. :wink:

Think i am at about the twenty mark, so alas, can not vote at this time !!

If you were to ask about expressions from distilleries i could count a few more, tend to buy and drink from the places i like and then diveresify throughout their age ranges / finnishes.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby DramMeister » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:51 pm

I can't help but trying a new whisky if I ever come across them. About ha;f way though then. :)
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:06 pm

dram_time wrote:
Bullie wrote:Have about 10 distilleries left, but I've got samples from 5 of them. Still waiting for the opportunity to taste a Ben Wyvis..... :shock:

Pop round tonight and we will crack one open and wash it down with a few cans of Tennents super. :wink:

Think i am at about the twenty mark, so alas, can not vote at this time !!

If you were to ask about expressions from distilleries i could count a few more, tend to buy and drink from the places i like and then diveresify throughout their age ranges / finnishes.

Dt.

Sorry I messed up the criteria...20 most certainly have been in there. And to think, I am a researcher :cry:

Rich
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:27 pm

There are at the moment 2216 registered users on this forum, and you have 17 answers so far, so I think it's fair to assume that the other 2199 fall between 10 and 25!

(Hey Diz, is there a name for this kind of polling logic?)
Deactivated Member

Gotta dram harder...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:45 pm

Okay, I own 67 different distilleries products and have sampled another 25 at various venues over the years. So I'm around the 92 mark, only 33 to go unless they keep opening new distilleries.

I'm only counting Scots SM whisky in this although I've tried Pendyrn, a lot of Irish, several Japanese and the dreaded Canadian single malt. :D

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Photon » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:51 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:There are at the moment 2216 registered users on this forum, and you have 17 answers so far, so I think it's fair to assume that the other 2199 fall between 10 and 25!

(Hey Diz, is there a name for this kind of polling logic?)

It's called Bush's Tax Plan :P

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:05 pm

On Sunday at the Vaults managed to negotiate distilleries 89-93 ( Brackla , Glenugie , Lochnagar , Glen Elgin and Pittyvaich ) but have actually hit 95 if you include the new product from Kilchoman and Daftmill .

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:53 pm

In the last two days I have tried Tomintoul (and it was better, a but, on day two) and Glenburgie (not a bad 8 year old malt, light of body, a bit malty, some sweetness).
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:43 pm

It kind of depends on how you count. But, it looks like my friend Rich and I are around the 112-121 mark. There seems to be a couple of flaws in the malt madness list, but it requires a little more research.

When does one define a different bottling as being different from the same distillery? Not sure.

Springbank/Longrow
Glen Flagler/Killyloch
etc.
mikeymad

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:11 pm

Well I suppose the topic is by distillery and not brand name...

so the 4 you listed can only count as 2
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:12 pm

mikeymad wrote:It kind of depends on how you count. But, it looks like my friend Rich and I are around the 112-121 mark. There seems to be a couple of flaws in the malt madness list, but it requires a little more research.

When does one define a different bottling as being different from the same distillery? Not sure.

Springbank/Longrow
Glen Flagler/Killyloch
etc.

A great question! And one that I have thought about as I try to narrow down what I have not tried.
I have seen it defined differently: by different buidling, by different stills, same still but different process....

What say everyone? I have no clue..
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:50 pm

If it's made in the same stills, it's the same distillery.

Anyone ever had a Kininvie? :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby mikeymad » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:37 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:If it's made in the same stills, it's the same distillery.

That is one of those that I have never even seen a release.

--- Oh and after a little research there is none.
mikeymad

Postby Lawrence » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:43 pm

You're unlikely too see a bottle of this, it's a single malt with a drop or two (less than one percent or so) of another distillery and is usually sold onto blenders. The end product has the taste profile of one distillery but is leagally not allowed to be called a single malt.

This way if the cask(s) are sold onto a an independent bottler they cannot say they have some Balvenie or Glenfiddich. It's quite a common practice in the industry.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:05 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:I have seen it defined differently: by different buidling, by different stills, same still but different process....
What say everyone? I have no clue..

MrTattieHeid wrote:If it's made in the same stills, it's the same distillery

That is one way to define it. I think that it is an open issue (in my mind). The variations of peat vs no peat (different spirit going in the cask). Sherry vs. Bourbon (same spirit in different cask).

If you cast a wide net then if you have had the 'laddie 10 then there is no reason to try the Port Charlotte because it is the same stills. But they are very different peat levels, very different characteristics.

But if you tip the scale too far the other way then you need to collect all the Macallan 18 vintages (to taste the water and malt from each year). Then you are into the realm of collecting single vineyard vintage bottlings of wine.

What to do?

I need a beverage......
mikeymad

Postby mikeymad » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:39 pm

Okay I have thought about it more.... (post beverage)

Same stills - Same distillery

That is the technical process of distillation. I am okay with that. I should be down to about 10 to try depending on when you consider the cutoff date of closed.

I probably will still be tracking variations to try (peat,cask,organic,etc.) just for my own fun.

Cheers.
mikeymad

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:07 pm

mikeymad wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:If it's made in the same stills, it's the same distillery.

That is one of those that I have never even seen a release.

--- Oh and after a little research there is none.

Yes, that's right (and Lawrence's elaboration as well)--I raised it as an example of something no one is likely to have had, unless they've tasted a cask sample in the warehouse.

I stand by same stills = same distillery, even if they are configured in some odd way for different product. That in no way implies that a distillery cannot make a wide range of different expressions. The original question was how many distilleries' products have you tried, not how many expressions, of which there would be a virtually unlimited number. Of course, if you've had Bruichladdich 10, you haven't had Port Charlotte, but that's not the question.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:40 am

How about Glenburgie and Glen Craig - same distillery but different stills? I counted this as one, but if I am allowed to call it as two then I am definitely into treble figures.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:42 pm

I think it should be if it was produced in the same distillery then that is the ultimate definitiion regardless of stills etc. However if the distillery was historically 2 seperate distilleries and the some of the whisky still existed from the now defunct distillery while it operated independantly well you can say distillery X & Y but if the joint distillery is still producing whiskies as X & Y it still for me is only one Distillery.

In Ireland we have only 3 distilleries currently. 2 of the Distilleries produce Whiskies under the names of long dead or amalgamated distilleries. I still can only say though that I've had Whiskey from 3 distilleries. Of course I then can count original whiskey made in the likes of the original Jameson Bow St Distillery or Tullamore distillery etc and it is only then I can say 9-10 distilleries.

Peating levels or non peating should have no inference what so ever on the issue.

You might as well be talking Cola and diet cola :wink: at the end of the day it's the same manufacturer which is what it all boils down to.
irishwhiskeychaser

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder