Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How many Single Malt Scotch Distilleries have you tried?

General chat and talk about whisky.

How many single malt distilleries have you tried?

All current or recently closed, appox. 125
No votes
100-124
18%
75-99
18%
50-74
18%
25-49
41%
under 10
6%

Total votes : 34

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:47 pm

I've had Johnnie Walker Red, so that's about 30 distilleries in one go.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:35 pm

Aidan wrote:I've had Johnnie Walker Red, so that's about 30 distilleries in one go.

ah... you are a tricky man.

:)
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:42 pm

This is really not as straightforward as it sounds. Some producers use different stills in the same building - Glenburgie/Glencraig. Some producers use different stills in different buildings but with the same staff - Kininvie/Balvenie. Some producers use different peating levels and different brand names on the same stills - Bruichladdich/Port Charlotte. Some distilleries use stills that can be physically altered - Loch Lomond/Old Rosdhu/etc. Some distilleries have physically moved to new premises - Glendullan.

The boundaries do get blurred and a single definition will always seem a bit arbitrary. My definition might not be the same as SWA might not be the same as SMWS. I suppose all we can do is judge the whisky in front of us on its own merits. That's why I'm really not fussed about adding to my tally or trying to catch 'em all (although I was when I started!). I will discover them as and when.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:25 am

You are right, Nick, as you usually are, except when you're trying not to be.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:58 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:You are right, Nick, ... except when you're trying not to be.

:o

As if I would.
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:24 pm

C_I wrote:After various recounts and digging through my memory I reached over 75 different distilleries. Sometimes I doubt wheter I had tasted one or not, but eventually I had. But 75 is a solid number.

Btw, what about Clynelish/Brora ;)

Made in two different facilities; in my mind this is clearly two..
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:21 pm

Brora was originally named Clynelish, and only became Brora to differentiate it from the modern facility. At one point they wer Clynelish I and Clynelish II (which reminds me, I need to return to Callanish one of these days). Have we ever established the differences between the two, as far as still configuration and other technical aspects are concerned? Another gray area. Caol Ila was rebuilt at about the same time, but no one considers them two different distilleries; then again, I imagine they used the same stills before and after. But I don't know. Stills get replaced now and then. My head is spinning.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:04 pm

The Excise considered Brora and Clynelish different distilleries, isn't that good enough?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Photon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:59 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Brora was originally named Clynelish, and only became Brora to differentiate it from the modern facility. At one point they wer Clynelish I and Clynelish II (which reminds me, I need to return to Callanish one of these days). Have we ever established the differences between the two, as far as still configuration and other technical aspects are concerned? Another gray area. Caol Ila was rebuilt at about the same time, but no one considers them two different distilleries; then again, I imagine they used the same stills before and after. But I don't know. Stills get replaced now and then. My head is spinning.

I'm afraid I'm missing your point. When Caol Ila was rebuilt, they were never two Caol Ilae working simultaneously. However Brora and Clynelish operated concurrently for about 15 years.

Oh, and if someone has a bottle labelled "Clynelish" from the defunct distillery now known as Brora, you're a lucky @#$%&!. Enjoy it.

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:57 pm

True, and obvious, enough, Photon. But if a distillery is essentially entirely rebuilt, is it really the same distillery? One could make the case that there is old Caol Ila and new Caol Ila, just like Clynelish. And of course, that would go for any distillery that had been rebuilt. If they're the same distillery, then it's only the peculiar overlap that makes Clynelish different. Were the two facilities operated under the same license?

Ah, who cares? It's all nit-picky and not very important--count them however you like! And enjoy the whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:33 am

Photon wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Brora was originally named Clynelish, and only became Brora to differentiate it from the modern facility. At one point they wer Clynelish I and Clynelish II (which reminds me, I need to return to Callanish one of these days). Have we ever established the differences between the two, as far as still configuration and other technical aspects are concerned? Another gray area. Caol Ila was rebuilt at about the same time, but no one considers them two different distilleries; then again, I imagine they used the same stills before and after. But I don't know. Stills get replaced now and then. My head is spinning.

I'm afraid I'm missing your point. When Caol Ila was rebuilt, they were never two Caol Ilae working simultaneously. However Brora and Clynelish operated concurrently for about 15 years.

Oh, and if someone has a bottle labelled "Clynelish" from the defunct distillery now known as Brora, you're a lucky @#$%&!. Enjoy it.

-P.

How about Benromach - same building but with entirely new equipment?
Deactivated Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:16 pm

Need to update my list list, but tried a Littlemill this week....Have a Tomatin to crack upon soon as well...!!
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:56 pm

C_I wrote:The same goes for Auchentoshan (only stills were changed longer ago).

Or what about Glengyle/Kilkerran/Ben Wyvis? Old stills in new building?

Those stills are totally modified, so I would consider them new. Only the base left from Ben Wyvis. The top and the neck are new.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby lambda » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:17 pm

I counted about 80 distilleries that I have once tasted, but I suppose that of more than half of them I had only a miniature. Lately, I've been trying to 'fill the gaps'.. mostly by putting bottles of more uncommon distilleries higher on the deathlist. :P

Not that I really care if I've had them all, but it would be a shame to miss out on some interesting distilleries.
lambda
Bronze Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder