Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Golf? Anyone?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Golf? Anyone?

Postby pouranother » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:41 pm

Suprisingly there isn't much golf chat on these boards. Pardon the stereotype.

To anybody interested: Are we living in the era of "the greatest golfer (if not athlete) of all time"? What Tiger Woods has done in 10 years is extraordinary. In the past 10 years he has won 52 of 192 tournaments, as opposed to the rest of the current world top 5 (Mickleson,Sing,Els and Furyk) combined 52 of 864. Amazing. I believe only injury or boredom will prevent him from surpassing all golf records, and his ability to channel his focus probably makes him second to none in all sports.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:01 pm

I don't know about "athlete"--it's pretty hard to compare golfers to, say, footballers--but he certainly is well on his way to being acclaimed as the greatest golfer of all time.

I'll bet he doesn't drink whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:13 pm

I wouldn't call some of those fat guys in the body armor athletes either. Tiger Woods is conditioned as well as many top athletes, and I think you could argue that golf is an athletic pursuit. I don't know the definition of athletics, though.

I am a golf fan - Ireland and Scotland are both blessed with some of the best golf courses and the best whisk(e)y in the world. Especially links golf, which dosn't really exist anywhere else in the world beyond these islands. Although there's a few in Tasmania and maybe Australia. Maybe one in the Netherlands.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:19 pm

Aidan wrote:I wouldn't call some of those fat guys in the body armor athletes either.

I meant footballers. We don't use that term for players of American-style football!

Aidan wrote:Tiger Woods is conditioned as well as many top athletes, and I think you could argue that golf is an athletic pursuit.

No argument--I just don't know how you can compare. The demands of the various sports are so different.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:23 pm

You're right, Tattie. I'm not sure if you could call a golfer an athlete - especially not the likes of Craig Stadler. But I'm not sure you wouldn't either.

Anyway, I think golf and whisky go hand in hand.
Aidan

Postby pouranother » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:30 pm

To paraphrase Webster's definition of athlete;
one is trained or skilled in excercises, sports, or games requiring strength, agility, or stamina.
Let the debate continue.

Amen to Scotland being blessed with great whisky as well as great courses. I wish there were more european events on the PGA tour and more coverage of the european tour as they far more enjoyable to watch.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:57 pm

I actually prefer watching the PGA tour, because there's more quality there and it's on at night over here.

The Ryder Cup is coming to Ireland, and they choose the K Club to host it - money talks, I suppose. Bad decision, in my opinion.
Aidan

Postby Mark8 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:11 am

There is nothing like the game of golf, whether you play or just enjoy watching, it is an extraordinary game best accompanied with a dram or two of your favorite scotch. I had the good fortune of meeting the great Arnold Palmer one year when he flew aboard the aircraft carrier I was stationed on. He came aboard on an S-3 Viking , at that time he held nine individual airspeed records in various aircraft, needless to say it was an honor to meet him. We shook hands as he entered the bridge. He along with the Admiral, Captain and selected officers drove golf balls at flares that the helo squadron dropped off the port side of the ship out there in the Caribbean, I had the watch on the bridge at the time so I was excempt.
Its a great game, play it if you can, and enjoy a dram, I like Lagavulin 16.
Mark8

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:19 am

Well I play the odd game of Golf and my game is odd :lol:

However it is a hard one to call as to whether it could be called athletics ... true Tiger is lean and mean but then you have the likes of Darren Clarke who sometimes has a good puff on a cigar on the way around.

Can you imagine Carl Lewis(80's) or Donovan Bailey(90's) puffing on a stogie on their way to breaking the world 100m record :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:40 am

Willie Dugan used to put his cigarette out on the tunnel wall on the way to the pitch, making him one of Serge Blanco's heros.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:41 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Well I play the odd game of Golf and my game is odd :lol:

However it is a hard one to call as to whether it could be called athletics ... true Tiger is lean and mean but then you have the likes of Darren Clarke who sometimes has a good puff on a cigar on the way around.

Can you imagine Carl Lewis(80's) or Donovan Bailey(90's) puffing on a stogie on their way to breaking the world 100m record :lol:

...and they were puffing on something else, by all accounts.
Aidan

Golf hazards

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:24 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Well I play the odd game of Golf and my game is odd :lol: ...:lol:

IWC:
Yeah, I too pursue the little white ball over hill and over dale in the wastelands of North America. Talk about an odd game, ... we have deer as a hazard at one course and Canada Geese on another. Luckily the bears aren't too interested in the golf course or we'd really have a hazard to play around! :D

Some of our best golfers aren't quite the same build as "Tiger" Woods and need a cart to do 18 holes, but a well hit long drive is a beautiful thing to behold even if the hitter isn't sylph-like. It's even better if it's off your driver.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:26 pm

My father came back from a trip to Canada, where he played golf. He hit one shot that landed over an hour later. Obviously the course spanned some time zone, as he's not great at golf anymore.
Aidan

Longest golf shot

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:30 pm

Aidan:

We used to have a course in Minaki, where if you hit the ball right on the third hole, your drive would go to Winnipeg. The CNR (Canadian National Railway) ran along side the fairway and if you hooked the ball onto a flatcar or gondola, it was gone to another province.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:39 pm

The beauty of golf is that the worse you are, the more practice you get.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder