Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky equivalences

General chat and talk about whisky.

Whisky equivalences

Postby DramMeister » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:13 pm

I don't know about you but I keep finding myself converting monetary values into how many 'standard' bottles of malt I could buy with it. Using a conversion factor of about £25.
For example I'm off to watch a football match tomorrow (Derby-Sunderland if you're interested)
Ticket price £27 Rail fare £7 Prematch drinks/lunch £15 = £50
Whisky equivalence: 2 bottles of malt.

The inevitable question that then arises is would I enjoy the whisky more?
Sadly I'd have to say yes. :?
But I have to resist the urge to turn into a hermit surrounding by hundreds of bottles of whisky.
DramMeister
Silver Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Houghton on the Hill, Leics, England

Postby Aidan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:14 pm

Except that this is Roy Keane's first game as manager, which should be exciting.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Postby DramMeister » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:15 pm

Ex Forest player too I'm sure he'll get a great reception
DramMeister
Silver Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Houghton on the Hill, Leics, England

Postby Aidan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:19 pm

He's hated by half the fans wherever he goes.

There was an interesting thread, along almost similar lines, a while ago. While it compared whisky with whisky, it could be used for yor equivalences too. It used JWB (or was it Red) as the standard price unit.

I'm sure it could be dug up.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Postby bamber » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:45 pm

I do this too. Remember that £50 could also be some nice CS IB, including postage.
User avatar
bamber
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:57 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:56 pm

Luckily I haven't reached that point yet. No dependants no responsiblities and no sense so I do all I can while buying loads of whiskey :D
User avatar
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Postby Aidan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:13 pm

A bottle of Midleton 1973, or college for my son?
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Whisky equivalences

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:36 pm

DramMeister wrote:I don't know about you but I keep finding myself converting monetary values into how many 'standard' bottles of malt I could buy with it. Using a conversion factor of about £25.
For example I'm off to watch a football match tomorrow (Derby-Sunderland if you're interested)
Ticket price £27 Rail fare £7 Prematch drinks/lunch £15 = £50
Whisky equivalence: 2 bottles of malt.

The inevitable question that then arises is would I enjoy the whisky more?
Sadly I'd have to say yes. :?
But I have to resist the urge to turn into a hermit surrounding by hundreds of bottles of whisky.


Opportunity Cost. But at the end of the day you have to have a balanced life. :)
Lawrence
Matured cask
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:24 pm

Aidan wrote:Except that this is Roy Keane's first game as manager, which should be exciting.



Sunderland exciting ? :lol: where have you been lately ?
Now where's that paint that's drying......
User avatar
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Usually somewhere with Whisky......

Postby Aidan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:19 pm

Yes, but it's been very exciting watching Sunderland over the last year if you're a Newcastly fan.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Postby DramMeister » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 pm

Try watching Derby
DramMeister
Silver Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Houghton on the Hill, Leics, England

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:18 am

...... or Galway United :shock:


First Division football in ireland is total Football :lol:
User avatar
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:44 am

Yes, for a while we were listing the price of malt as units of JWB. Interesting to think of other things in life as JWBs.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Lawrence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:46 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Yes, for a while we were listing the price of malt as units of JWB. Interesting to think of other things in life as JWBs.


There's another part to life???!!! :shock:
Lawrence
Matured cask
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:54 pm

Geez, Lawrence. I'm a bachelor; you'd expect me to say things like that. You have a lovely wife. Ask her!
Deactivated Member
 

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder