Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Hotel probs

General chat and talk about whisky.

Hotel probs

Postby Iain » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:28 pm

No one has mentioned it today, so for those who are still unaware of but interested in reported problems at the Craig and Tain...

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/70608.html
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:52 am

The collapse of the Swallow group is bad news indeed. Of course, unpaid staff are the foremost concern, but those of us who travel about the country will be concerned also with lowered standards as things shake out. I don't stay at that level of hotel, but will certainly be in the Craig for a few drams, and would like to think the shelves will be full. Perhaps those attending the Speyside Festival will be able to assure us that all is well.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:00 pm

This is bad news however they are prime properties so hopefully a buyer with more stable finances will be found and the situation will improve.

Mr. T are you satying at the Highlander when you're in Craigellachie?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:06 pm

No, I'm across the street, in the post office. The Highlander's prices are pretty reasonable, but I have to watch my pennies where I can, if I hope to A) stay in the country for a month, and B) liberate a fair number of interesting bottles.

Ron and I will be in Craigellachie for three nights, 17-19 October, and will undoubtedly settle in evenings in the Highlander's bar, with occasional forays to the Quaich Bar down the street. If anyone else is around, I hope you'll say hello. (Nothing will ever top Nick Brown leaning over our table at the Bow and saying, "Are you Mr Tattie Heid?" :P )

It occurs to me that the bar manager at the Highlander is another Tattie! Can't be too many of us. (And that, I hear everyone muttering, is a good thing.)
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:07 pm

The Post Office in Craigellachie, ah yes, I've stayed there and booked friends in their this last summer, the owner, Carol is very nice.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby The Fachan » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:56 am

Folks,

The Craig was bought by Oxford Inns and Hotels 2 days after Swallow went into administartion, the future of the hotel is secure.
The new owners are primarily a mangement company so hopefully the staff at the hotel will now be allowed to restore and develop The Craig to all its glory.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder