Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Monschau Church Restoration

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:17 pm

Dear friends,

While we are all here to share our enjoyment of the golden nectar that is whisky, we are also keenly aware that whisky is about people, friendship, and community. After some prodding, the gentleman known to us as bernstein has told me how to make a contribution to the Monschau church restoration fund, and I have done so in the amount of $100--what I would spend for a good bottle of whisky. (Bernie suggested the price of a Bruichladdich 10; I upped him a Balvenie 15.) I encourage those of you who know Bernie, and have enjoyed his company in the virtual pub here, as I have, to pm him directly for instruction on how to do the same. He has set up a PayPal account, and you will need to give him an email address and tell him how much you would like to contribute. (If the PayPal notice you receive in return is in German, it will switch to the appropriate language when you plug in your country.) Interested persons may follow the progress of the project at http://www.ek-monschau.de .

Obviously, we wouldn't like to see this forum become a clearinghouse for everyone's pet charitable project, or worse, a magnet for scams. But just as obviously, many of you consider Bernie to be a good and longstanding friend, and it is you whom I specifically address here.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Mr Tattie Heid
Deactivated Member

Postby bernstein » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:43 pm

:D Mission accomplished :D

Yesterday night our golden swan returned to its place of weatherforcasting. Our monschaubaroquechurchtowerhelmetrestorationproject (we Germans just love to build words like that :wink:) is done. Several hundred people in Monschau and a lot more all over Northrhine-Westphalia (it was broadcasted live on Public TV) witnessed this little piece of church-history. It took us exactly one year and one week to raise enough money and complete a very complicated and complex (whisky related expression!) mission.

Thank you very much, Tattie, for your effort and your help. There's a Laddie 10 and a Balvenie 15 somewhere in there, well integrated, so to speak...

Cheers!
Bernie
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:26 pm

bernstein wrote:Our monschaubaroquechurchtowerhelmetrestorationproject (we Germans just love to build words like that :wink:) is done.

I just love noun-stacking--German's great gift to English! The French just can't say things like that.

Congrats, Bernie, I was happy to help. You're lucky you caught me as I was going on holiday--all expenditures made between my last day of work before, and my first day of work after, are unbudgetable and inauditable. They come out of the unquestionedvacationspendingfund!
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder