Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New Member From NYC!! My Humble Collection

General chat and talk about whisky.

New Member From NYC!! My Humble Collection

Postby agtepstein » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:49 am

Hello All,

New to the scotch scene here from New York City. Pleasure to find such a wonderful crew of avid scotch fans. I started off just buying any old scotch but have tried to home my collection. I also have a love of bourbon from my Texas roots.

I think my biggest problem is wanting to finish a bottle as fast as possible so I can justify plunking down another 50-70. My favorite in my collection is the Aberlour Abundah.

My next target buy is either Jameson Gold, or Glenlivet 16yr cask strength.

Where are some of you from and list some of your favorites that you own

Single Malts
1. Highland Park 18Yr
2. Aberlour Abundah
3. Dalmore Cigar Malt
4. Glenlivet 18Yr
5. Glenfiddich 15Yr Solera Reserve
6. Bowmore 12Yr
7. Auchentoshan Select

Blended Malts:
1. JW Gold Label
2. Chivas Regal 18Yr

Bourbon:
1. Wild Turkey Rare Breed
2. Elijah Craig 18Yr
3. Makers Mark
agtepstein

Postby Wave » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:20 am

Welcome to the Whisky Magazine Forums. I'm a bit new here myself. This is a great place with many people who all have 1 thing in common, the love of the best whiskies in the world!

My lit'le list
http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=275

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Re: New Member From NYC!! My Humble Collection

Postby Lawrence » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:42 am

agtepstein wrote:Hello All,

New to the scotch scene here from New York City. Pleasure to find such a wonderful crew of avid scotch fans. I started off just buying any old scotch but have tried to home my collection. I also have a love of bourbon from my Texas roots.

I think my biggest problem is wanting to finish a bottle as fast as possible so I can justify plunking down another 50-70. My favorite in my collection is the Aberlour Abundah.

My next target buy is either Jameson Gold, or Glenlivet 16yr cask strength.

Where are some of you from and list some of your favorites that you own

Single Malts
1. Highland Park 18Yr
2. Aberlour Abundah
3. Dalmore Cigar Malt
4. Glenlivet 18Yr
5. Glenfiddich 15Yr Solera Reserve
6. Bowmore 12Yr
7. Auchentoshan Select

Blended Malts:
1. JW Gold Label
2. Chivas Regal 18Yr

Bourbon:
1. Wild Turkey Rare Breed
2. Elijah Craig 18Yr
3. Makers Mark

Welcome to the forum, great collection!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby agtepstein » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:44 am

Wow,

what a splendid collection. I would think with a collection like that Wave, you would have to keep that under lock and key.

If anybody in my community knew I had such a collection I would have to host every party and most of it would move from the Unopened to Opened line and than to Gone line.

Curious about the different Aberlour Abundah barrels u bought. Is there a reason?
agtepstein

Postby Wave » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:02 pm

what a splendid collection. I would think with a collection like that Wave, you would have to keep that under lock and key

Well actually I do. It's a hold-over from my days married to a lush! :roll: :lol:

Curious about the different Aberlour Abundah barrels u bought. Is there a reason?

All the abundah's I've tried (some batches profusely) have been excellent though there are some subtle differences between each batch. The bottles I have except for batch #15 (haven't sampled yet) are what's left of bottles past. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby agtepstein » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:04 pm

I have a batch of bottle #15, but of course since I have never tried any other batch I have nothing to compare it to.

As a newbie, my palate is probably not as keen on the subtelties as yours. I am still on the "this is very smoky", mildly smoke, light, etcc..

Not able to discern as readily the "vanilla with hints of toffee" or other things listed on the package.
agtepstein

Postby Drammer » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:47 am

agtepstein wrote:I have a batch of bottle #15, but of course since I have never tried any other batch I have nothing to compare it to.

As a newbie, my palate is probably not as keen on the subtelties as yours. I am still on the "this is very smoky", mildly smoke, light, etcc..

Not able to discern as readily the "vanilla with hints of toffee" or other things listed on the package.

You'll get there soon enough, remember that most of the flavour is detected in the nose, also, what it says on the bottle is not always what YOU taste. :wink:
Drammer

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder