Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Reviving a Distillery...Which one??

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:08 pm

Ok, to clear it up further :?

I wish to purchase and revive either distillery X, Y or Z...
To consider which distillery would be the most viable and one I wish to own personally, these factors need to be addressed
- Does distillery X, Y or Z have most of the original buildings, of which would require only some basic or medium renovations
- What is the surrounding history on the distillery...*maybe it has changed owners the most *Maybe it has a ghost :shock: etc., etc.,
- Can the actual site be purchased
- And obviously is the whisky in demand now

Here is a list of Distilleries that do not fit the profile...
Port Ellen - Glenury Royal - St Magdalene - Glen Albyn - Glen Mhor - Millburn...there are obviously more but do you get the point??
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:08 pm

Bar Items wrote:Again, Port Ellen was only an example.
Diageo would definately not sell this now!!

I'll bet they would if the price was right. But you'd be starting from srcatch, all you would have is a name. It would be a huge challenge as everybody is aware. But some people like challenges.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:22 pm

I think it matters little of the customer base of a closed distillery was, it's what you can make of it now. As for the Imperial distillery (mothballed in '98 ), it was snapped up by Pernod Ricard just last year and I don't think they plan on selling it any time soon.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:25 pm

I believe Imperial has been for sale for a long time, but is not well known. I think many closed distilleries start out just not producing for a year - then one year becomes two, and then it is called mothballed. Mothballed becomes silent. Closed comes way down the line. I guess if you made the right offer, you could turn a mothballed distillery into an active one. But I struggle to think of well known closed distilleries other than Port Ellen, Brora and Rosebank and these will not be suitable for other good reasons.

I don't know what state Convalmore is in, but that might be worth thinking about. Alternatively, if you could persuade Diageo [?] to part with Teaninich, you'd have a distillery crying out to be discovered.
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:29 pm

Yes, true Lawrence...however I wish to be able to look at a site in 1 - 2yrs...not 10 - 20 :wink:

As for the Imperial distillery (mothballed in '9, it was snapped up by Pernod Ricard just last year and I don't think they plan on selling it any time soon

No, not likely...but Imperial is mainly used for blends and as such without Imperial, there goes the blends that has it contained, and Imperial goes into some pretty important Blends...

Thing is too when a distillery is mothballed nowadays, you can be pretty much assured it will start again in the future.
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:31 pm

Nick Brown wrote: Alternatively, if you could persuade Diageo [?] to part with Teaninich, you'd have a distillery crying out to be discovered.

Good point, it is a distillery that needs more attention.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:34 pm

Nick I have given thought to Convalmore...
It wouldn't be difficult to approach W. Grant & Diageo on Convalmore...not sure on it's history but I like the tasting notes I have read on different bottlings...
Although not sure what is left at Convalmore??
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:40 pm

There's a danger that you want the moon on a stick. The perfect closed distillery doesn't exist - so you'll have to compromise on some of your wishes.
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:55 pm

There's a danger that you want the moon on a stick

No...no danger, as I want the moon in my hand :lol:

Seriously though...I have to obviously consider many points in choosing a distillery but I'm young and I don't have to get one tomorrow...

Another one for consideration is Glen Garioch...
Although again the distillery has to be available to purchase and on budget
Here is an extract courtesy http://www.whisky-distilleries.info
"The group decided to close Glen Garioch in 1994 and to sell it.
As they could find no buyer, and because of the growing demand on the market, they reopened the distillery in 1997.
The major part of the production is used in the blends of the Morisson Bowmore company, like Rob Roy..."
Ironic??
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Iain » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:29 pm

Tamnavulin?

Not perhaps the most popular sms, but surely at least as good as Littlemill(!) and as well-known as Glen Garioch. And it's in a great location, giving access to all sorts of opportunities to piggyback on the "Glenlivet" reputation.

Of course there would be all sorts of practical difficulties involved in acquiring it and getting it back on its feet and and running it and..., but I understand we're debating merits on the principle that there's no perfect option :wink:
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:34 pm

I think Littlemill has a reputation for poor whisky, as does Glen Garioch which I doubt Suntory would sell anyways.

Tamnavulin? Tamnawhat?

Of the closed distilleries, from a marketing perspective the only ones which make any sense to me are Brora, Port Ellen and Rosebank. The rest are so obscure that it would be cheaper to just make up a new name, new distillery, etc. and just make sure it is farther south or farther north-west-by-south-east than another distillery for a marketing hook.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:13 pm

I'd add Lochside and Glenugie to the list I'd like to see back although I doubt there is much left of either. Lochside was exceptional and also a good blending whisky and only closed 10 years ago but I dont know what happened to the equipment. Of the currently closed Speysiders I like the Braes that I have had so far. Any new venture would be best off small scale though. I like the idea of the pub which recently set up a small still so that guests could make whisky on their visits. That strikes me as a superb low risk high yield investment, let the workers pay for the privalege of running your still.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:04 am

Please see this article I wrote on Lochside (it's the 2nd one down below the Cragganmore article);

http://www.whiskyfun.com/archiveseptember06-2.html

There is nothing left. It's a real shame.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:44 am

Just to quote you on something Lawrence...
"The saddest part of the story is that Lochside was an outstanding whisky. Since much of the distillery production went into blends or was exported for sale in Spain, few lovers of whisky had an opportunity to sample Lochside and it never established a reputation as a single malt..."

There are a few here who may be missing the actual point, or more question as the thread states...
Your above comment Lawrence is a reference to this whole thread...
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:53 am

Bar Items wrote:Just to quote you on something Lawrence...
"The saddest part of the story is that Lochside was an outstanding whisky. Since much of the distillery production went into blends or was exported for sale in Spain, few lovers of whisky had an opportunity to sample Lochside and it never established a reputation as a single malt..."

There are a few here who may be missing the actual point, or more question as the thread states...
Your above comment Lawrence is a reference to this whole thread...

Somebody else said it and I lost the reference and I was just commenting on the previous comment, I'm not sure I understand your point. Apologies if I have gone off track.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:18 am

No, No...your not off track.
Basicly...ok, let me explain something first - I do have to work on my writing skills :D

Anyway...what I'm trying to ask is...As obviously the market has changed over recent years, and not just Scotch but all liquor...and there is now a demand for even some of the once most obscure malts - What would the community most want brought back from the dead?
But obviously all the factors we have mentioned, buildings, equipment?, etc...have to be considered. So for example no point in considering a revival of Lochside, as the buildings are gone...the reason it would have been initially considered is due to the fact it is now in demand.
Remember too people, global market opportunities over the recent years have boomed, with things like the internet and not to mention more people travelling these days(so consumers are introduced to new markets and products)...

:evil: :arrow: :twisted: :arrow: :x :arrow: :P :arrow: :D :arrow: :lol: :!:
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:37 am

Great article Lawrence!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:52 am

I'd forgotten Braes of Glenlivet. Please do revive it and forget Tamnavulin, which made really nasty whisky.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:43 am

I haven't tased too many of the closed distilleries. I would like Rosebank to be reopened.

Elsewhere, maybe the Tullamore, Kilbeggan, or Bow Street Distillery.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:56 am

I'd second Kilbeggan... It would be wonderful to see the 19th Centurary Distillery up and running again. It is basically 90% intact with the water wheel and all the crank shafts and cogs in working order.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby hpulley » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:05 pm

I hope none are planning on getting that much from blenders. Bladnoch was approached by a blender but the rate wasn't good. He would have been working very hard for most of the year just to break even since the operation is small. The price/L offered for new make wasn't anything to write home about and requires large volume before it makes any sense.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:29 pm

Hmm, I've just been trying to find a Scottish distillery by the name of "Kilbeggan"....LOL - couldn't find it?? :lol:

Although, irishwhiskeychaser...it is not beyond looking into?!

And to all the community, I thankyou for the great response this thread has drawn...after all it is you as the consumer who knows what they want to drink.
Cheers All!!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:20 pm

Sorry for the curve ball there Bar Items ... just reminiscing for a lost Irish distillery which has potential to be reopened as it is acting as a Museum at the moment.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Lawrence » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:56 pm

Frodo wrote:Great article Lawrence!!!

Thanks Frodo
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:56 pm

No worries irishwhiskeychaser...

But as I said it is not beyond consideration...
:D
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:52 pm

Lawrence wrote:Please see this article I wrote on Lochside (it's the 2nd one down below the Cragganmore article);

http://www.whiskyfun.com/archiveseptember06-2.html

There is nothing left. It's a real shame.

Great article,thanks for the link Lawrence, another tragic story.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Iain » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:07 am

Benriach 10 wasn't rated very highly by whisky buffs, and the distillery wasn't particularly well known when Chivas owned it.

But the independent company that bought and "revived" the distillery seems to be having success, bottling some of the more distinctive whiskies that Chivas made there.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:08 am

Hi there,

just posted something here.

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... 41&start=0

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat