Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

how do whisky makers prove the age of their whisky?

General chat and talk about whisky.

how do whisky makers prove the age of their whisky?

Postby Marvin » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:44 pm

Wouldnt it be possible for them to mix a bit of new stuf in their 30 year old to make it go further and nobody would know?
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby pouranother » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:39 am

Integrity! If anybody ever found out, their reputation would be shot.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Marvin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:40 pm

How would anyone find out? just move a few kegs about and bob's your aunt edna...
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:40 am

Ya, sure mess about with some attention getting special bottling, or any bottling for that matter to save a few bucks or earn a few more. Then their 200 or so old name, brand, and reputation, internationally recognized goes down the drain. Not worth it.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:24 am

I don't think that any distillery would do so.

To start with, this is illegal. Then all the casks are tracked, with all the details in order to comply with the Customs and Excise requirements, and finally, if it would be know, they would lose the trust of their clients, as mentioned in some previous posts.

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:15 am

Continued sillyness..
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:47 pm

Serendipity anyone. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:28 pm

Bowmore proves the different age statements by putting 'surf', 'dusk', 'darkest' or 'enigma' on their bottles. Couldn't be clearer - and if its says so on the label, it is so. Just like everything in the internet is true, because it is written so. :twisted:

To prove this, I never bought a 'darkest' and found 'surf' in the bottle instead. :twisted:

Ok, I'm a little tired now..
Deactivated Member

Postby DramMeister » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:43 pm

Feisty.

I am glad however that I'm not the only left annoyed and confused but the recent marketing ploys. Especially Islay distilleries - Bowmore, Laddie and Ardbeg. I'm going to have to learn Gaellic.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Oliver » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:53 am

It is a good question.
Fear of loss of credibility, I think is not enough of a deterrent.
Look at the Macallan, (1) who knew they had purchased fakes and let auctions go on anyway... Knowing the buyers would get ripped off...
And (2) they still put out replicas (of FAKE whiskies) when they knew they were based on fakes. And Dave Broom wrote a courageous article (in Whisky Mag) on the whole thing --and STILL Macallan kept their Replicas of Fakes on the market. Nothing a good add campaign won't wash away from our minds...Or so they think.
In short, the short sighted geniuses who by destroying the standards of their malt don't realize what they are doing to the industry long-term are probably capable of lying about the age of scotch.
It would not surprise me.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:26 pm

Oliver wrote:It is a good question.
Fear of loss of credibility, I think is not enough of a deterrent.
Look at the Macallan, (1) who knew they had purchased fakes and let auctions go on anyway... Knowing the buyers would get ripped off...
And (2) they still put out replicas (of FAKE whiskies) when they knew they were based on fakes. And Dave Broom wrote a courageous article (in Whisky Mag) on the whole thing --and STILL Macallan kept their Replicas of Fakes on the market. Nothing a good add campaign won't wash away from our minds...Or so they think.
In short, the short sighted geniuses who by destroying the standards of their malt don't realize what they are doing to the industry long-term are probably capable of lying about the age of scotch.
It would not surprise me.

Yup, you're correct. I think people are beginning to forgive them (not everybody!) and remember large parts of the market never even heard of the whole fiasco. I was at Macallan this August and didn't even look in the dispaly case at the end of the visitor center to see what was there. I was more interested in seeing the new Woodlands Release and the seasons series of whiskies, including the 'summer' version at 8 years old.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Oliver » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:07 pm

Lawrence,
Did you taste any of them? Is it true that -- yet another gimmick -- the bottles come with a certificate of some sort -- for the trees ?!

Cheers,
Oliver
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder