Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Older Aged/Matured Whisky - Good for you!!

General chat and talk about whisky.

Older Aged/Matured Whisky - Good for you!!

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:23 am

Found this article while browsing the web...

http://www.isbra2006.com/abstract/58.htm

I recommend all to read, although there is a lot of science contained, the last comments are what counts...

"Conclusion: These phenolic aldehydes and acids increasing with whisky maturation depress ethanol metabolism through inhibition of ADH1. Thus, the moderate drinking of matured whiskies is good for health because the maturation of whisky diminishes metabolic toxicity of alcohol due to acetaldehyde, and increases antioxidative and anticarcinogenic actions by these PCs...."
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:42 am

In two weeks we will have another article saying whisky is bad for you. Everything is bad for you. The best thing for your health is to not worry about what is good or bad and enjoy your life without worry, however short it may be. Let's face it, you are going to die anyway, why not live drunk?
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:07 am

Ah, yes Thesh...it would be good if we could live our lives with no worries but at the risk of sounding realistic and boring...we as humans create most of our unnecessary worries :cry:

Let's face it, you are going to die anyway, why not live drunk?

Because this would create worries for others! Maybe not necessarily for yourself but others will worry if you are drunk all the time....?!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Thesh » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:04 am

Bar Items wrote:Ah, yes Thesh...it would be good if we could live our lives with no worries but at the risk of sounding realistic and boring...we as humans create most of our unnecessary worries :cry:

Let's face it, you are going to die anyway, why not live drunk?

Because this would create worries for others! Maybe not necessarily for yourself but others will worry if you are drunk all the time....?!

If you avoid any social settings and all possible human contact, then there will be no one to worry. Enough excuses.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:38 am

Well good luck living in a hole & drunk for the rest of your life :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:52 pm

Well, I always learned everything in moderation, the "good" and the "bad." Good thinking, but of course there's no guarantee of making it to the end, happily, and not suffering.
Di Blasi

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:56 pm

Thesh wrote:In two weeks we will have another article saying whisky is bad for you. Everything is bad for you. The best thing for your health is to not worry about what is good or bad and enjoy your life without worry, however short it may be. Let's face it, you are going to die anyway, why not live drunk?

Perhaps a wee bit synical view of science. The antioxidnet research is pretty good, plus three thousdand years of evidence on green tea (similar) from China.

But hey, we are all entitled to our opintions....
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:59 pm

Everything in moderation indeed...except moderation, I say.

So at what age is a whisky most beneficial? Do we know for sure that the 25 YO Talisker contains more anti-carcinogenic properties than the 18YO?

In reality , will this REALLY influence my whisky choice?

"Nice nose! I'm getting fruit and peat on the palate but too many free radicals on the finish..."

I don't think so! Worry is definitely carcinogenic!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:25 pm

To be quite honest I'd be very sceptical about such research also.

Unless they have researched over a hundred different distilleries and the various age statements then I feel such research is invalid.

A bit of what you like is always good for you ... but over indulge and your heading for a fall (I'd better watch out then :oops: )
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Thesh » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:37 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:A bit of what you like is always good for you ... but over indulge and your heading for a fall (I'd better watch out then :oops: )

It depends on how you look at it. Some people say that it is better to take alcohol in excess every week or two, rather than to drink in moderation every day or two. The theory goes that if you are going to do something, you might as well do it. Not that I agree. I don't like wasting good whisky.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:31 am

Thesh wrote:
irishwhiskeychaser wrote:A bit of what you like is always good for you ... but over indulge and your heading for a fall (I'd better watch out then :oops: )

It depends on how you look at it. Some people say that it is better to take alcohol in excess every week or two, rather than to drink in moderation every day or two. The theory goes that if you are going to do something, you might as well do it. Not that I agree. I don't like wasting good whisky.

No way, binge drinking and eating is proven wrong. Forcing your body to take all that alcohol in one night can't be good, otherwise we wouldn't get sick when we do it!! 1 or 2 every night allows your body to recuperate, rather than shock it into rejecting what we force down our throats!
Di Blasi

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:29 am

Well I couldn't help but voicing my opinion here...

To quote Thesh...
Some people say that it is better to take alcohol in excess every week or two, rather than to drink in moderation every day or two.

I recommend that you not listen to these people!! They are clearly not responsible :x Not to mention that drinking alcohol in excess will cause health problems, be it short term(Initially throwing up/Hangover) to long term(Liver Failure, etc...)

People, as long as we make sure our 'irresponsible' drinking tales/comments are told in jest and not to influence further improper behaviour, then I find no problem but to say to drink in excess is just bloody ridiculous!!
This attitude causes the current and future issues with alcoholism!!

Also..may I point out that this thread was to highlight the moderate consumption of older/matured whiskies will provide 'some' health benefits.

I don't want to sound like a stiff and a bore but we must be responsible were alcohol is concerned.
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Thesh » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:43 am

Again, it's all different points of view. None is really right or wrong; personally, I feel if someone wants to do that to themself, if they feel they enjoy getting hammered nearly to the point tha they have to have their stomach pumped... Well, let them be. If they end up an alcoholic, well, that is their own fault, and it isn't my responsibility to worry about others. I figure you should live your life how you want, as long as you aren't forcing others to live life any way other than their own.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:55 am

I have to agree with Bar Items here. In excess, alchohol is all wrong, and though many enjoy it that way, the next day is proof to "never do it again." Those that never learn, or don't feel they can control themselves are probably alcoholic, or have difficulty with it. And it not only effects them but those around them. I think alcohol should be enjoyed for quality not quantity, thoroughly, and each individual should be their own monitor as to what their limits are.
Di Blasi

Postby Lawrence » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:08 am

Bar Items wrote:I don't want to sound like a stiff and a bore but we must be responsible were alcohol is concerned.

Too late!

:wink:

You make some good points, excess drinking is not a feasible long term plan.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:27 am

Too late!

Ah, crap... :cry:

:wink:
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:27 am

Bar items' initial quote read "...the moderate drinking of matured whiskies is good for the health."

Umm, is there any other way to drink a rare old dram except in moderation? Does anyone seriously envisage using such for the sole purpose of getting "rat-arsed?" I mean, have some RESPECT!!

If that is your intention, good luck to you, your liver, and your bank balance...

"Lock up your Longmorns and your Lagavulins! Bring on the Tennents rocket fuel beer!"

Like the man said: "Macallan 18 is not for mixing with Coke."

Personally, I find the effects of binge drinking rather sad. How often have I seen attractive young women reduced to loud, gibbering, unsteady, vomiting trollops!?!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:16 pm

The phenolic aldehydes and acids may be good for you, but I bet there's some stuff that isnt that good for you too.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:05 pm

Haven't they been telling us brown spirits aren't good? Clear, grain, natural spirits are best. Is it the wood-ageing that makes it bad? Or now, maybe in this study, not bad at all, as old whisky seems best. Maybe we should just stop drinking completely???
Di Blasi

Postby Marvin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:08 pm

Whisky isnt really brown, it's a straw yellow colour, very pale yellow. The rest is caramel.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:40 pm

Marvin wrote:Whisky isnt really brown, it's a straw yellow colour, very pale yellow. The rest is caramel.

True Marvin, usually anyway! But, get a bottle of one of the Stillmen's Choices single cask Glengoyne bottlings, Duncan's or Ewan's and see how dark they are!! They are all natural, no caramel, and so dark it's scary. It's like when ice melts in the cola. So dark you can almost hardly see through the bottle. So dark it's almost a turn off, til you realize it's all natural.
Di Blasi

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder