Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New guy from holland, my humble humble collection...

General chat and talk about whisky.

New guy from holland, my humble humble collection...

Postby Drammer » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:53 pm

Hi, I'm Drammer from holland, the dutchies may find my nick has some funny wordplay, but my real name is Ivo. I don't car how you call me. I'm 20 and I've been drinking proper whisky for the past 2 years. I really like to talk about whisky and booze in general. Anyway enough about me, this is what I currently have in my shelf:

-Oban 14 YO
-Té Bheag (Pronounced: Chey Veck. A very nice blend, and cheap to boot!)
-Glenfiddich Solera Reserve 15 YO
-Smoke Head (Says single malt but my liquor store guy assures me it's vatted)
-Penderyn (Very nice Welsh whisky)
-Jack Daniel's (For mixes and stuff, I don't like it pure)

Soon to be added:

-Highland Park 12 YO
-Aberlour A'Bunadh #14
-Ardbeg TEN


Any tips for further aquisitions?

I live close to the german border so I can get stuff alot cheaper.

Hoping to see some interesting suggestions!
Drammer
New member
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:18 pm

Postby Dubois » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:00 pm

Wellcome !

Some tips:

Lagavulin 12 Yrs & 16 Yrs
Highland Park 18 Yrs

Enjoy !
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3884
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:38 pm
Location: Belgium

Postby bamber » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:26 pm

How about some Talisker and Blanton's bourbon (very cheap from Germany)
User avatar
bamber
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1913
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:57 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:39 pm

Welcome Drammer, hope you enjoy the forum...

All the above mentioned so far are good. Also Laphroaig Quarter Cask is an interesting one but pretty peaty also.

Also I see you like sweet malts like Penderyn.

Redbreast pure potstill Irish is worth a look at also.
User avatar
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Postby Thomas H. » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:59 pm

Hey Drammer, another fellow from the Netherlands. Cool.

In any case, Smokehead is Single Malt. According to law, they are not even allowed to put single malt on the label if it isn't single malt. So you can rest asured, Smokehead is a single malt. Ardbeg, about 7 to 8 years old I believe.

The A'bunadh is a great dram, you'll love that one.
Thomas H.
New member
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:51 pm

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:07 pm

Welcome Drammer!

To those already mentioned, I would suggest anything from Balvenie and Talisker (although I cannot recommend the 10 yo Talisker) as well as a Clynelish 14.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:36 am
Location: Roma, Italia

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:13 am

Thomas H. wrote:Hey Drammer, another fellow from the Netherlands. Cool.

In any case, Smokehead is Single Malt. According to law, they are not even allowed to put single malt on the label if it isn't single malt. So you can rest asured, Smokehead is a single malt. Ardbeg, about 7 to 8 years old I believe.

The A'bunadh is a great dram, you'll love that one.


Woa, careful there! Smokehead is NOT Ardbeg, or maybe it is! But whatever it is, it's a single Islay malt, and with 7 distilleries there that have whisky, (yes, the 8th doesn't yet have whisky), it could be any of them!! And as long as it's a "Single Islay Malt" they can use any one of those 7 distilleries!! And then they'll have another in a few years too!
If you can get the Blue Hanger 25y blend, it's excellent, from Berry Brothers and Rudd. The bottle Whisky Magazine gives out for published letters. Gosh they have great taste!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:16 am

Oh yes, and of course, Smokehead is very good!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:03 am

Di Blasi wrote:Oh yes, and of course, Smokehead is very good!!

It certainly is! Welcome to the forum Drammer! If you ever visit the town Drammen in Norway you could say "Drammer is dramming in Drammen" :roll:
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Postby Drammer » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:59 am

Thanks for all the interesting repy guys, a true warm welcome, like many of the drams I like to dram, quite possibly in Drammen someday.

I'll certainly look into your suggestions, and I'm particulary interested in trying different Balvenies, I've had the doublewood, and I quite enjoyed that one. Talisker is also high on my list.

I like anything really, Peated, Sweet, Smoky.

I think I'll look out for some talisker.
I don't know much about bourbon so i might look into that.

Thanks, i'll be going to germany soon, i'll let you know what its going to be.
Drammer
New member
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:18 pm

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:07 am

Hello Drammer, and welcome to the forums here!

I'd like to recommend you try some of the newer BenRiach's like the 10yo curiositas, or the 21yo Authenticus. Lovely stuff!! And of course I would also recommend any Caol Ila versions as well as Talisker. And oh, Ardbeg 10yo. This keeping in mind you like peaty whiskies.

Other than that, try the Balvenie range, they are sweet and lovely but not smoky. An interesting slightly smoky whisky which isnt very expensive is the Glenfiddich Caoran reserve. Some like it, some don´t. Personally I found it not so bad.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Thomas H. » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:37 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
Thomas H. wrote:Hey Drammer, another fellow from the Netherlands. Cool.

In any case, Smokehead is Single Malt. According to law, they are not even allowed to put single malt on the label if it isn't single malt. So you can rest asured, Smokehead is a single malt. Ardbeg, about 7 to 8 years old I believe.

The A'bunadh is a great dram, you'll love that one.


Woa, careful there! Smokehead is NOT Ardbeg, or maybe it is! But whatever it is, it's a single Islay malt, and with 7 distilleries there that have whisky, (yes, the 8th doesn't yet have whisky), it could be any of them!! And as long as it's a "Single Islay Malt" they can use any one of those 7 distilleries!! And then they'll have another in a few years too!
If you can get the Blue Hanger 25y blend, it's excellent, from Berry Brothers and Rudd. The bottle Whisky Magazine gives out for published letters. Gosh they have great taste!!


Officially, yes, you are correct. Unofficially though, it has been advertised as being an Ardbeg on several internetshops, including on from the Netherlands. It's one of those public secrets, no one knows, and yet everyone knows. ;)
Thomas H.
New member
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:51 pm

Postby Lawrence » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:07 pm

Welcome to the forum, at some point I'd add a bottle of Balvenie 10 since it's very good and to be discontinued soon and a Laphroaig Quarter Cask, it is also very good and you seem to like Islay whisky.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask
 
Posts: 5019
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Postby Drammer » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:42 pm

I have never seen Balvenie 10, but so far I've had the DoubleWood 12 YO
and a Portwood, and i like the doublewood alot, but as i've just finished a bottle of it five weeks ago, i'd like to try something else.

I've also tried the Caoran Reserve, which is nice, but i would rather spend my money on something else if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I liked it and it's a nice dram, but not as nice as others IMO.

For now this is my wishlist:

-Ardbeg TEN & the oogler perhaps
-Laphoaigh Quarter cask
-Highland park 12 & 18
-Lagavulin 12 & 16
Drammer
New member
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:18 pm

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:03 pm

Thomas H. wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:
Thomas H. wrote:Hey Drammer, another fellow from the Netherlands. Cool.

In any case, Smokehead is Single Malt. According to law, they are not even allowed to put single malt on the label if it isn't single malt. So you can rest asured, Smokehead is a single malt. Ardbeg, about 7 to 8 years old I believe.

The A'bunadh is a great dram, you'll love that one.


Woa, careful there! Smokehead is NOT Ardbeg, or maybe it is! But whatever it is, it's a single Islay malt, and with 7 distilleries there that have whisky, (yes, the 8th doesn't yet have whisky), it could be any of them!! And as long as it's a "Single Islay Malt" they can use any one of those 7 distilleries!! And then they'll have another in a few years too!
If you can get the Blue Hanger 25y blend, it's excellent, from Berry Brothers and Rudd. The bottle Whisky Magazine gives out for published letters. Gosh they have great taste!!


Officially, yes, you are correct. Unofficially though, it has been advertised as being an Ardbeg on several internetshops, including on from the Netherlands. It's one of those public secrets, no one knows, and yet everyone knows. ;)


In speaking with Ian Macleod back in August, I was told shops were told to remove the (Ardbeg) note after their Smokehead listing, (many shops in Germany listed it this way, and if they didn't, they wouldn't get anymore bottles. I have seen many now have followed directions. So again, Smokehead is Smokehead. A classic peated and smoky Single Islay Malt Scotch whisky for us "Smokeheads" and "Peat Freaks" to enjoy. Whatever distillery they're using, it's still Smokead! Smart company Ian Macleod. Smokehead is #2 in Norway, and doing well in other markets as well.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Balvenie 10..

Postby Jacques » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:58 pm

Is it true the Balvenie 10 is to be discontinued.... I just purchased the 12 DW and is pretty good.... I can find the 10 Yr. for about 40 US$ is that good??
I would also try to add Glenlivet 18 to your collection as it is very good and very good price...
Jacques
New member
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:37 pm
Location: Caracas, Venezuela

Postby Drammer » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:03 am

I've gone and checked some prices:

-Ardbeg TEN € 35,95 (litre)
-Ardbeg Ugeadail € 51,95
-Laphoaigh Quarter cask € 35,95 (litre)
-Highland park 12 € 32,25 (litre)
-Higland Park 18 € 49,95
-Lagavulin 12 (My online supplier does not have it)
-Lagavulin 16 € 37,95
-Glenlivet 18 € 42,95

And for comparison:
-The Macallan Fine Oak 18 € 72,95 :roll:

I'm thinking the first purchase will be:

-Ardbeg 10 litre
-Laphroaigh QC litre
-HP 12 litre

Since they're all on sale in their litre variants for under 40 euros !!
Drammer
New member
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:18 pm

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder