Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

smaller bottles

General chat and talk about whisky.

smaller bottles

Postby Marvin » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:26 pm

One think I think would encourage more people to get into malts would be half bottles. At the moment very few are available, you get the Glenmorangie 10 Year as a half but that's about it (and that one is not a good advert for single malts imo!).
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:59 am

Are you sure that's all, I've seen Caol Ila, Bladnoch, Bowmore, Glenfarclas, Clynelish, Glenfiddich, Springbank, Scapa, Mortlach, Linkwood and Rosebank available as half bottles. Also available are 20cl bottles, the list there is endless. Look again.

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:15 am

Not widely available though. Glenmorangie is the only one I see often.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:23 am

I have to agree with the idea that there should be more half or 20 cl bottles available. I can't imagine it will make the distillery owners jump up and down as it would mean decreased sales.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:07 am

I recently bought a bottle of Aberlour 100 proof, half size. Nice when travelling, or wanting to bring a variety of smaller bottles away somewhere. And if I like it, perhaps I'll ge the big bottle, just like the minis, it's an affordable way to taste different whiskies without being stuck with an entire open bottle if you truly don't like it. And that 20cl size is also great, sharing with a friend or 2, just a few sips.
Di Blasi

Postby Dubois » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:54 pm

At Brussels Airport,you can find some Balvenie in half-bottles.
Dubois

Postby Lawrence » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:12 pm

Di Blasi wrote:I recently bought a bottle of Aberlour 100 proof, half size. Nice when travelling, or wanting to bring a variety of smaller bottles away somewhere. And if I like it, perhaps I'll ge the big bottle, just like the minis, it's an affordable way to taste different whiskies without being stuck with an entire open bottle if you truly don't like it. And that 20cl size is also great, sharing with a friend or 2, just a few sips.

What did you think of the Aberlour 100 Proof? I have a bottle and have heard good things about it but have not opened it yet.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:36 am

Hey Lawrence, I have yet to open it. I too have heard it's a good one, so I wonder. I'll post when I do open it, you do the same! Is yours a full bottle, or the smaller one like mine?
Di Blasi

Postby Scotchio » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:26 am

Lap 10 is usually available as a 35cl at Morrisons. LFW has quite a good selection of 35cl and 20cl bottles. You can get samples from just about every distillery at Just Miniatures on the web. Also ebay has a thriving selection of minis. Just search for whisky in the miniatures section nb Sunday night seems to be the main sale night. DL frequently produced 20cl advanced samples and DT often produce 5cl minis
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:24 pm

You can usually find a nice assortment of 20cl bottles of OMC's at The Whisky Shop (at least 2 shops in Edinburgh) and RMW usually have a few half bottles/20cl's not to mention gobs of mini's but that's the norm for just about any shop in Scotland in my experiences.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:30 pm

Yeah but most people who are not into whisky arent going to go there are they, they're going to go to a supermarket or oddbins or victoria wine.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:47 pm

Marvin wrote:Yeah but most people who are not into whisky arent going to go there are they, they're going to go to a supermarket or oddbins or victoria wine.

If you mean as a way of encouraging ppl who don’t currently buy malts, to start buying them then I’m not sure it’s an effective strategy… there’s tons of places you can buy miniatures (some supermarkets, and most off-licences including Victoria Wine sell them). And there’s bars. And Oddbins offer free tastings of malts.

Would ppl really think “I’ve never tried that genre of drink, I won’t buy my usual vodka/gin/baileys bottle and instead I’ll spend £15 on a half-bottle of Talisker to find out what a single malt is like?” I know I’ve never been tempted to buy a whole (or even half) bottle of something I’ve never had before, but I might buy one after having tried a wee drink of it somewhere first.

Having said that, I would love to see more 20cl bottles as I would try the more expensive malts without having to risk splashing out on a whole bottle that I might not like :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:50 pm

I'm not talking about miniatures - you get very little in a miniature, I'm talking about half bottles.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:14 am

Marvin wrote:Yeah but most people who are not into whisky arent going to go there are they, they're going to go to a supermarket or oddbins or victoria wine.

Since you have to ask then obviously your not finding those half bottles that you so desire at the supermarket or oddbins or victoria wine", are you? :| Who cares where most people who aren't into whisky going to go, where are you going to go?

You asked and I replied to the best of my knowledge.
Good day.
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Drammer » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:45 am

My liquor store usually stocks up on all the half bottles available to match his full bottle stock.
Drammer

Postby Marvin » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:09 pm

Wave wrote:

Since you have to ask then obviously your not finding those half bottles that you so desire at the supermarket or oddbins or victoria wine", are you? :| Who cares where most people who aren't into whisky going to go, where are you going to go?

Good day.

Then you have completely missed my point. Congratulations.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:53 am

Marvin wrote:
Wave wrote:

Good day.

Then you have completely missed my point. Congratulations.

Gee, someone give you the info you ask for, and you respond as such. Lovely. :wink: :cry: :twisted:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Re: smaller bottles

Postby Lawrence » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:27 am

Marvin wrote:One think I think would encourage more people to get into malts would be half bottles. At the moment very few are available, you get the Glenmorangie 10 Year as a half but that's about it (and that one is not a good advert for single malts imo!).

It smacks to me of trying to accomodate the lowest common denominator. We all survived & learned about whisky while buying full size bottles, I would think that others coming along can survive and thrive on full bottles (there's a joke in there somewhere).

I don't like half bottles unless I need one for a specific purpose like a party or a hike. This summer while on our hike from Buckie to Aviemore those in our group who didn't believe me about proper flask size and the importance of such had to resort to half bottles purchased in the Baxters Shop in Fochabers. The fools!

Half bottles are just silly, I couldn't bear to have any in my collection.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Jan » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:19 am

Lawrence wrote:Half bottles are just silly, I couldn't bear to have any in my collection.

I strongly disagree :wink:

Personally I like to taste/dram a variety of whiskies & expressions. Yet I do not drink that much whisky and thus find that I dram from the same bottles for months at a time.

Half bottles are very useful, as I get to taste more whiskies and finish bottles faster.
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:08 am

Yet I do not drink that much whisky

I think we've found your problem. :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Bullie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:20 am

Here's a little suggestion for the ones that want smaller bottles to have a chance to try some more expensive malts:

Buy empty 10/15/20 cl bottles from a supplyer like http://www.nordicpack.com/. (Ok I know, swedish site, sorry, but you'll get the picture though... ;))

Then three or four can share a fullsize bottle. :D To make it even more fun, take a picture of the lable, print it and glue it to the samplebottle.

We do this a lot in Sweden. Everything from 4cl bottles to 35 cl. It's a brilliant way to get the chance to try really expensive malts.
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:53 am

I have a number of half bottles purchased at Gordon & MacPhail in Elgin. I could not afford full ones of the malts at hand, either financially or spacewise (to carry home) or both. Lawrence, come on over and have a dram of Cask 1979 Port Ellen from a 35cl bottle, and tell me it's silly. I'm very happy to bring home 20cl and 35cl bottles of whiskies I otherwise wouldn't have at all.

I believe the original question is, why are more half bottles not widely available in the general marketplace, not where can I get them. And I think the answer is that the marketers don't feel that there is really a market for such in the supermarkets and like. Whether they are missing an opportunity to create greater interest is a matter for debate. But I think they don't think that way; the general whisky market, and the way the product is promoted therein, is very different from what we as enthusiasts like to see at RMW and the Whisky Shop and the like.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:51 pm

I never said that other people shouldn't buy them, I just don't like them. Mr. T I'll wait for you to arrive with half bottle in hand. :wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:18 pm

You'll have to come to Springfield, Lawrence--it isn't leaving the house! When you do, I'll crack it in your honor.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:13 am

As long as you don't crack it over my heid.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby smokey » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:51 pm

Just a quick one about the aberlour 100proof mini...
I picked up a couple, and I was a little dissappointed. I really like the aberlour a'bbundah and so I thought this would be somewhat similiar, but different. It's just different. The high abv is much more apparent in the 100proof, and it lacks the complexity of the A'bbundah. It comes closer to the cs 10yr macallan, but still...more direct, more "fire water". I guess the best thing about it is that now it's done i have a nice small bottle to transfer to when I get close to the end of a normal bottle that I want to hold on to for a little longer.
smokey

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder