Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

"The Vintage Cask Syndicate"

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:29 pm

I have been looking a developing this for a little while now and as the time gets closer to having my liquor license issued I thought that I should start to see what sort of response I get to my plan...

In brief...
- A group of individuals involved in the selection/purchase and bottling of single casks of whiskies(although any type of liquor can be purchased)
Each member will have an allocation as return on their investment plus a percentage on profits from the sale of bottlings left over after syndicate members' allocation.

This could quite possibly appeal to a number of people out there for a few reasons...
- To 'invest' in the syndicate would be similar in costs to purchasing a single cask of whisk(e)y, however investing in the syndicate will provide a partial ownership of a few casks, without limiting an individual to just one single cask of liquor.
- The ability to legally 'sell'(Bar Items Plus will handle sales of remaining bottles) the remaining bottles after syndicate members allocation has been made.

If(or more when!!) I get this up and running, I would have to look at if there was a time frame on the syndicate, or basicly starting a new syndicate as demand increases for people wanting to invest.
Ideally I would want a group of no more than 10 people, otherwise then there are too many people to decide on what cask to purchase, i.e. too many opinions.

I will put the word out now…if anyone is indeed wanting in on the first syndicate please contact myself ASAP. I would think that this would gather a fair amount of interest…??!!
Please only contact myself if you are genuinely interested in joining the syndicate more or less tomorrow…well at least in the next couple of weeks anyway.

Cheers All!! :D
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Drammer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:11 pm

Depends really, what does a cask cost these days (depends of course).

I'm interested but I don't want to leap in without knowing the financial implications in full.

Great idea though!
Drammer

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:07 pm

Drammer wrote:Depends really, what does a cask cost these days (depends of course).

I'm interested but I don't want to leap in without knowing the financial implications in full.

Great idea though!

Thanks Drammer :wink:

I don't want to 'quote' any figures here on the forum so as I said if you are interested please contact myself via direct email.

Drammer I would like to suggest that you have a look at average prices that distilleries charge for a cask. This will obviously give a good indication of what it would cost to join the syndicate.

Cheers!! :D
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:30 pm

sounds like an excellent idea.

but the cost of the investment isnt just £800 / 10people in order to buy the cask, the real cost comes when its taken out of bond and then bottled.

bruichladdich sell casks to private folk, and to offset the cost of duties, bottling etc, they do a deal where buy they will bottle the cask and pay all the duties on it for you, as long as they can keep 2/3rds of the cask for themselfs.

even doing it the bruichladdich way, youll get a return of about 110 bottles from your 1/3rd cask, that would be about 10 bottles each in 10 years time against your inital investment of £80.

mail me details of your proposal for this idea, i recon it should be worth a wee punt, depending on the numbers.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:29 pm

vitara7 wrote:sounds like an excellent idea.

but the cost of the investment isnt just £800 / 10people in order to buy the cask, the real cost comes when its taken out of bond and then bottled.

bruichladdich sell casks to private folk...

Ok seems I need to point some things out...
- £800 is not an average!!
- New make spirit will not be the only consideration...
Here is a quick list of liquor that would be purchased by the syndicate
- Bourbon
- American whiskey(Wheat, Rye, etc..)
- Australian whiskey(Bakery Hill?, Sullivans Cove, etc...)
- Matured Scotch(Obviously!!)

Don't forget when you buy a cask all on your lonesome, you have only one variety of liquor, being in "The Vintage Cask Syndicate" you have a number of varieties... :D

The concept is actually something like having an Independant and SMWS as one entity... 8) however not restricted to just Scotch!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:25 am

youve pretty much answered my questions in that posting, i think ill just get a bruichladdich and bladnoch on me tod.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:48 am

vitara7 wrote:i think ill just get a bruichladdich and bladnoch on me tod.

My apologies if this is a stupid question...what is "tod"??
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:50 am

Bar Items

It means he'll get one on his own.

Good luck with your project. Hopefully you'll let us know how it's going.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:24 am

Oh, ok thanks John...

Cheers!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:43 am

I'd be interested, but I'm broke at the moment.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:49 am

Not to be sarcastic but why don't you just join the Scotch Malt Whisky Society? All the selection of single casks whiskies without the hassles of running a business and the associated paper work.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:26 am

Do they have bourbon, wine, rum??
No...

Not to be critical Lawrence, but the project is not just about Scotch!!
People...I understand(as I am in the business!!) that there are ample opportunties to purchase a single cask by yourself, however if you like 100 bottles or so of one whisky then great! This is a project unlike any other currently out there...please don't keep coming back with..."oh, but it's going to cost this much for XXX..." I know!! I am in the business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:19 am

Sorry, I completely missed that you were planning on selling wine also. FYI, the Society bottles various forms of whisky from Scotland, Ireland, Japan and the USA at the moment so they are not just about scotch whisky.

Seems that you're planning to start a private bottling club with wide focus which is admirable.

Good luck with your venture.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:59 am

Lawrence wrote:Sorry, I completely missed that you were planning on selling wine also.
Seems that you're planning to start a private bottling club with wide focus which is admirable.
Good luck with your venture.

Lawrence

Yes Lawrence that is very much the concept of the syndicate...I do apologies if I seemed a little abrupt! Sorry mate!

Hmmm...woops :P
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Postby TheLiquorBaron » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:51 pm

For those whom may be interested...I have loaded the details to the Bar Items Plus VIP Group on the website - Check it out!! :wink:
Cheers!!
TheLiquorBaron
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder