Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Chill Filtering

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:41 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:This from the Blackadder website:

We use a special bottling process to make sure that each and every bottle of Blackadder RAW CASK contains its own share of the cask sediments as well as natural oils and fats that might otherwise be left behind when filling a cask strength whisky straight from cask.

I will concede the possibility that the sediments are actually from the cask being bottled. Still, they go to some effort to insure that each bottle gets its bits. It still strikes me as gimmicky and unnecessary.

And hey...can't you define "Blackadder" as "one who adds black"? (Don't know why I didn't think of that before....)

That does sound gimmicky. I can attest to their 1975 28yo Linithgow. I liked it so much, I bought to extra bottles at binnys, while on sale for under $45. Far more complext than any lowlander I have had, and it is amazing how the oak is kept at buy by the richness of the malt, spice, and gentle peat). It is not officially on sale anymore, but a birdy told me the sale price may still apply (but $60 is still pretty spiffy for such a fine old malt).

Also, I looked at both my bottles, and while there may be some sediment, it is not on the level of having to worry about splinters in my gums :wink:
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:31 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:This from the Blackadder website:

We use a special bottling process to make sure that each and every bottle of Blackadder RAW CASK contains its own share of the cask sediments as well as natural oils and fats that might otherwise be left behind when filling a cask strength whisky straight from cask.

I will concede the possibility that the sediments are actually from the cask being bottled. Still, they go to some effort to insure that each bottle gets its bits. It still strikes me as gimmicky and unnecessary.

Interesting more than gimmicky I think.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:53 pm

Di Blasi wrote:I think I have heard of whiskies less than 46% being chill-filtered. I just can't remember which ones. I'm sure someone out there knows. Oh yes, Compass Box!! 40% and 43%, un-chill filtered

Benromach Organic is Unchillfiltered and bottled at 43% No cloudiness at present but I'll keep you informed and winter closes in...
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:20 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I've had some Sig ucf's--they seem to get good reviews, although I'm a little leery after a very unpleasant Caol Ila. Have to think it was poor cask selection, and if there's one thing an indy bottler shouldn't do, it's release something from a bad cask.

I have a Caol Ila from the unchillfiltered selection that I have enjoyed a great deal. Aged 14 years. Distilled 25/7/1990 bottled 26/5/2005 Cask No 05/370/3+4.

Is this a different cask to yours in which case it may support your "Bad Cask" theory or is it that we just have different tastes? (or both...)
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:47 pm

Mine was cask #13947. If you do a site search on that number, you will find we have discussed this at length before, more than once (and probably will again!). Crieftan had 13944 and liked it; jimidrammer also had 13947 and agreed with me.
Deactivated Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder