Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Reccomendations please...

General chat and talk about whisky.

Reccomendations please...

Postby dram_time » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:37 pm

I hope to get some recommendations from you all for my Christmas drams, so firstly, some info…

Really Like…
Old Pulteney 12 yo
Scapa 14 yo
AnCnoc 12 yo
Balblair 10 yo, elements.
Auchentoshan 10 yo, select.

Love honey, malty, salty and a wee bitty of sherry in the taste.

I have left out the Islay’s, did them last Christmas, so I am looking for some ideas, based on the malts I really like above, but with a few restrictions….

All purchases must come in under £100 total.
Must be from a different distillery than those listed above.
I.B. or O.B. but must convey the distillery character.
Would like something from Speyside as I don’t drink this region much.
Would like something over 15 years old maybe 20+ as I don’t go there much either.
Would like more than one bottle/distillery!!!!

Sounds like I’m really fussy, but I guess what I’m looking for is something to sit by the fire with, during my two weeks off, when everybody else in the house has gone to bed!!

Thanks in anticipation,

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:23 pm

How about Glenfarclas 12? It's sherried with a lovely honey character, fruity, malty and sweet yet dry in the finish. An intriguing whisky and much under appreciated - sort of a dark horse.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:54 pm

HP 12 just add a little whisp of smoke to the enjoyment.

or

Balvenie 10yo would be a good choice
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Recommendations please

Postby Danny » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:59 pm

Based on your list, and your preferences I don't think you would go wrong with a product from Aberlour, Balvenie or Glen Rothes.

These all have a honey, toffee in them, no sea though.

Also could try an Oban, it is a fruity, honey whisky with a bit of sea.
Danny
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:38 pm

Have you done any Bruichladdichs? An unIslay Islay, might fit your bill. Full Strength, Links Turnberry, 20yo.
Deactivated Member

Postby dram_time » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:51 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Have you done any Bruichladdichs? An unIslay Islay, might fit your bill. Full Strength, Links Turnberry, 20yo.

Have only had the 10, (have 6 more in the cupboard!!) was nice, but would like something a bit more malty.

Glenfarclas 12, I can't seem to find. But Glenfarclas 15 is on my list now, thanks Mr Fjeld, it fits more than a few of my 'restrictions'. and at £30 sounds like a good deal.

£70 left to spend.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Re: Recommendations please

Postby dram_time » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:01 pm

Danny wrote:Based on your list, and your preferences I don't think you would go wrong with a product from Aberlour, Balvenie or Glen Rothes.

These all have a honey, toffee in them, no sea though.

Also could try an Oban, it is a fruity, honey whisky with a bit of sea.

Have an Aberlour 10 yo on the shelf, so if i get stuck i could always open that.

HP 12 yo I have open at the mo, very, very nice (have forgotten to put it it on my list :oops: ) but am looking for something I dont normally buy.

Also will be needing something for 'first footing' on new years day. Everybody here seems to like Black Bottle or Whyte & Mackay !!! need about three or four bottles so it must be ecconomical and nice. I thought Auchentoshan Select, Any other ideas??

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:03 pm

Auchentoshan 10 yo, select.

DeliCIouSS!!
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:06 am

One of the better Speyside's IMO is Mortlach and since your in Scotland the 16yo Flora & Fauna is readily available and extremely tasty!

The Whisky Magazine tasting notes discribe it as,

Nose: Flowery. A suggestion of peppermint. Black chocolate? Mint crisp?
Palate: Memorable for its challenging complexity and subtlety. Flavours beautifully combined. A touch of sherry. Dances on the tounge.
Finish: Smooth, dry smokiness. Very long.
Overall: A great malt that is enigmatic.

Another Speyside favorite is the Longmorn 15yo

(also from WM)
Nose: Smooth, rich and elegant. Fruity weight: semi-dried soft fruits (peach), fresh cherry, toffee, tea leaf, pecan, toasted nut. Superb balance.
Palate: Ripe. Clootie dumpling mix, damson, cinnamon dusted on top of rich honeyed soft fruit. Light wood oils. Packed with flavour.
Finish: Long, ripe, dark fruits
Comment: This has fantastic complexity and balance. Subtle yet powerful. Seamless. Very good.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Marvin » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:08 am

Scotty Mc wrote:HP 12 just add a little whisp of smoke to the enjoyment.

Yes I agree, Highland Park 12 has to be on your list if you've never had it before.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:59 am

Ardmore '92 Signatory
Balvenie 15yo
Clynelish 14yo
Glenfarclas 17yo
Glen Garioch 15yo
Glenlivet 15yo French Oak Reserve
Glenmorangie 10yo
Longmorn 15yo
Talisker 18yo

Just a few suggestions, all reasonably priced and represent their distillery character well.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:20 am

Glenfarclas 105!!! Damn this thing has gotten me lately, sooooo good! So smooth and well balanced at 60%! A beautiful sweetness, but still dry. Gosh, I should have a bottle in the house, especially now that we have available the 1 liter format. It's surely a big sherry bomb!!!
Di Blasi

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:46 am

jimidrammer wrote:Ardmore '92 Signatory
Balvenie 15yo
Clynelish 14yo
Glenfarclas 17yo
Glen Garioch 15yo
Glenlivet 15yo French Oak Reserve
Glenmorangie 10yo
Longmorn 15yo
Talisker 18yo

Just a few suggestions, all reasonably priced and represent their distillery character well.

Good list, but I have to say I dislike the Clynelish 14; not the best expression of a usually complex and wonderful malt.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:55 am

MIkey and I just tried the three pack from Glenrothes. The 1987 and 1991 wer very nice beverages. Consider them if they are not too pricey.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:17 pm

OK Dramtime...so you have limited funds.

Well, first of all, you had a nod towards Longmorn 15 and "I second that emotion." Never been disappointed by it - fantastic Speysider... but it will cost you somewhere in the mid £30s.

Sorry i couldn't alert you to this earlier, but I only just got up after a late gig I played last night...

However...there's still time! TODAY IS THE LAST DAY to pick up a Daily Mail paper, in which you will find a voucher entitling you to pick up a bottle which you probably "don't normally drink." for £15.99 at specified "Offies"( as we call 'em south of the border)assuming you got "Bottoms UP'/"Wine Rack" etc up there.

I'm talking Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve. As a long time GF snob(along with many others it seems!) this dram is a real surprise. I took up the offer , remembering that the dram impressed me when I tasted it 2 yers ago.

I opened it last night and was, again,very pleasantly surprised. Depth, roundness, length, sweet/dry balance, not too much sherry... I reckon it fits your flavour profile, budget, and then some...light years ahead of the standard 12.

It even reminded me of a Balvenie...somewhere between the 10 YO and
the 1991 single barrel 15 yo.

BUT HURRY!! I don't think you'll be disappointed. just hope there's a participating dealer in your area.

Better get on the phone NOW, go buy that paper...but don't waste precious time reading it - it's rubbish!

Good hunting!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:39 pm

Thanks for all the replies everybody, have gone for the following....

Christmas drams...

Longmorn 15 yo £30
Glenfarclas 21 yo £42
Ardmore 1992 Signatory 12 yo £25

All in for £97.

First footing drams....

AnCnoc 12 yo
Aberlour 10 yo
Auchentoshan Select

All infor £45.

Thanks for the pointers.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:42 pm

Apologies to anyone who might have been on a Daily Mail goose chase. I couldn't find that voucher in today's copy...I distinctly remember the offer as being on 'til Sat 19th.

"Fiddich 15 Solera Reserve - still an underrated and enjoyable dram IMO...I love having my preconceptions blown, in music and in whisky!!

...and I speak as an Ardbeg lover.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:49 pm

Nice bit of heather honey in Dalwhinnie ... ticks at least one box and fairly okay on price too.
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder