Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Old Pulteney 12

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Old Pulteney 12 Years Old

Old Pulteney 12

Postby Marvin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:55 pm

What's it like? I'm quite tempted to buy a bottle.
Marvin
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:53 pm

Marvin, just answered you on your "smoked whisky" thread!

Pulteney 12 was recently gifted me. wouldn't have chosen to buy it, as it didn't stick in my m,emory.

But I like it. Possibly not unlike the less peated Islays...but more salt than smoke. I find it tangy, zesty, lively, with an underlying sweetness. Not as soft as ,say, a glenmorangie.

most enjoyable!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Choochoo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:55 pm

It's good, and often is sold at a low price. The tasting notes over in the Whisky Tastings section are pretty accurate descriptions.

The coastal quality is it's main draw for me. But the malt does offer more than just that. I've heard some people who didn't care for it, many who didn't have much reaction to it at all, and then some (including myself) who found it to be pretty good.

If you can get it for a low cost, then I'd say grab a bottle and try it out.
Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:47 am

Since we're on this topic, I not only wonder about this standard bottling mentioned, but other distillery bottlings? I have never tasted any from this distillery, but have one in my collection I wonder about.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:42 am

Di Blasi wrote:I have never tasted any from this distillery, but have one in my collection I wonder about.

Well then, what is it?

I think Pulteney is an underrated malt, generally, and an excellent value. However, there was that one godawful sherry-cask one we had at the Bow....
Deactivated Member

Postby Dubois » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:07 am

Tried it and wasn't impressed :roll:
Dubois

Postby Bullie » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:51 am

Here's my note for the 12yo:
Old Pulteney 12 yrs OB 40%

Nose: Sherry and malt. Citrus, flowers and grass. Fudge. Fresh.
Palate: Light and dry body. Malty with a touch of peat. Liquorice and plums.
Finish: Short and a wee bit flat.
Score: 72

One I really liked was the Pulteney 18yo single cask OB. I'm not sure if it still is bottled.

Old Pulteney 18 yrs Cask Strenght OB 59%

Nose: Fruity, strawberries and orchids. Candy. Rum/raisin icecream. Cherrychocolate.
Palate: Medium body. Dry. Peaty. Chocolate, nuts and malt. Spicy with a touch of salt.
Finish: Medium to long. Peat and malt. Sweet and warm
Score: 88
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:15 am

I'm not so keen on the OP 12yo, I find it just too salty and I like briney coastal malts like Clynelish (but not Oban) and most Islays, but I must revisit after trying both the 17yo and 21yo at the WhiskyFringe back in August and they were both magic.

I've ordered some 'mystery malt' called Whallagoe 23yo 55.3%, which is supposed to be OP - anyone know anything about it?
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:29 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:I have never tasted any from this distillery, but have one in my collection I wonder about.

Well then, what is it?

I think Pulteney is an underrated malt, generally, and an excellent value. However, there was that one godawful sherry-cask one we had at the Bow....

I thought you'd never ask MrT! It's Old Pulteney 1983 Single Cask #6181 57.5%. Have you had it?? Anyone else?
Di Blasi

Postby Wave » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:07 pm

The Old Pulteney 12 while nothing special is still a nice malt. My favorite at the momment is the OP 16yo Whisky Galore bottling. I got my first taste of this one at the Whisky Galore shop in Christchurch, NZ last year and it tasted so nice I bought a bottle right then and there!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby dram_time » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:55 pm

It's lovely. Have to stop my self buying it all the time. As has been stated allready, you can often find it discounted, arround £17 is a good price to get the 12year old for, and it's easy to find.

You could drive up to wick and pick up a bottle yourself !!

Would also recommend Scapa 14 yo, it's not as 'salty' as Old P, but has many of the same flavours, with more honey and malt.

Dt.
dram_time
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:24 pm

I think I'm going to propose to our city fathers that we set up a sister-city exchange with Wick. Then we can have all kinds of Wick-Springfield programs.

Ah, the point is prob'ly moot.
Deactivated Member

Re: Old Pulteney 12

Postby kenmont » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:30 pm

I've now finished my first bottle of Old Pulteney 12 and it got me to thinking about price-point comparisons and relative tasting values. For its moderate price, Old Pulteney 12 rates comparatively well, I think, to scotches like Balvenie Doublewood, Erdalour, any of the Glenlivets and Glenfiddich offerings within the same approximate price ranges. Old Pulteney offers little in the way of peat aggressiveness but compensates by having an attractive honey-ish, subtle fruity aftertaste that one could easily call "pleasantly lingering." In the final analysis, I think this scotch could easily be regarded as an everyday drinking scotch that would not put a serious dent in a modestly substantial wallet. I'll be ordering a case of this scotch to keep on hand for personal use and as gifts to selected friends and family.
kenmont

Postby Ryguy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:52 pm

kenmont wrote:I've now finished my first bottle of Old Pulteney 12 and it got me to thinking about price-point comparisons and relative tasting values. For its moderate price, Old Pulteney 12 rates comparatively well, I think, to scotches like Balvenie Doublewood, Erdalour, any of the Glenlivets and Glenfiddich offerings within the same approximate price ranges. Old Pulteney offers little in the way of peat aggressiveness but compensates by having an attractive honey-ish, subtle fruity aftertaste that one could easily call "pleasantly lingering." In the final analysis, I think this scotch could easily be regarded as an everyday drinking scotch that would not put a serious dent in a modestly substantial wallet. I'll be ordering a case of this scotch to keep on hand for personal use and as gifts to selected friends and family.

Thanks for the great input. I've been also thinking of buying a bottle to try, just because of the price ($35 where I am). It sounds interesting to me, and I like to try a wide range of single malts, so I'll have to pick one up.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Do it ryguy. You won't find better malt for the money, (other than special offers and lucky finds, etc. :) ). Its just a great dram for a very small price.
Willie JJ

Postby Ryguy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:37 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Do it ryguy. You won't find better malt for the money, (other than special offers and lucky finds, etc. :) ). Its just a great dram for a very small price.

OK you've both convinced me. I'll be sure to report back after it comes in (I'll have to order it first).
Thanks, Ryan
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby shulaw05 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:52 pm

i love OP 12, one of my favorite 'inexpensive' bottles. i really feel that it benefits from time to just sit...i literally will pour a glass and let it sit for 20-30 minutes before even nosing it. the longer it sits, the more i find the nose to have vanilla, dark chocolate smell...very different from any other SMS i have tried. the tatse i find to be sweet and salty, a very nice mix in my opinion (it is the same reason i like chocolate covered pretzels...that mix of sweet and salt). I would absolutely recommend it.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon May 18, 2009 4:28 am

I'm nearly finished a bottle of Old Pulteney 12, and must say that I am not impressed. Other than the reasonable price, not a lot going on in terms of flavor profile. I just pick up sea salt, brine, a little citrus. Would not buy it again.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon May 18, 2009 10:13 am

You must have beeen unlucky! I have got through 3 bottles in the last year or so. Yes, because its inexpensive, but also because for me it stands out among tthe "lighter, cheaper, low ABV" malts that are nice to have around for non-serious "everyday" dramming. I guess like most malts there are batch inconsistencies, but I';ve been well pleased. I find it far more interesting than, say, the Glens in that range!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby upright » Tue May 19, 2009 8:43 am

First time i had OP 12 i was not very fond of it, but it grew on me. At about 15 pounds a bottle (in south africa) you cant go wrong.
upright
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Tue May 19, 2009 9:32 am

I love this stuff! Haven't had any in awhile, ummm :wink:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Stewart » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:58 am

Just got this. I'll have to give it a few goes before I do a proper tasting with notes, to get to know it first. But so far, I like it! Bright and clean; slightly muscular; VERY NICE salty-sweet interplay; with some depth, but not pretentious; hints of malt and sherry. Perhaps a bit of a strange aftertaste, but maybe it's just 'cause I worked out. Seems like it would be a good everyday scotch.
Stewart

Postby Maccy » Tue May 18, 2010 9:14 pm

I have grown to like this whisky a lot and the OP17 is a very good dram too.
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed May 19, 2010 7:10 am

I like it.
dramtastic

Postby Drammed » Mon May 31, 2010 9:09 pm

wonderful combo of fresh crips fruit and a hit of sea salt.
Drammed
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Old Pulteney 12 Years Old

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder