Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Islay Distilleries Run Out of Fuel Oil

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:11 am

Lawrence wrote:As I see it Bruichladdich made a choice not to spend their advertising money on glossy magazine ads, like the one where it looks like a seal dragging itself out of the the sea to whelp (Bowmore).

Instead they spend that same money on travelling all around the world and talking to their customers face to face and pouring them a dram. I thinks it's brilliant.

As for the large range, they are tiny runs and they help grab headlines, without having to pay for it, saving money so that they can make more whisky and talk face to face with their customers.

I can just imagine the howls of frustartion if Bruichladdich just a 10, a 15 and a 21.

They also employ 42 Islanders and they saved a distillery from the wrecking ball. The whiskies are becoming better and better. Keep it up I say.

Hear hear Lawrence. I found it a really enjoyable experience to have a tasting hosted by one of the guys who owns the distillery and hear the enthusiasm they have for their whisky and the distillery. Yes maybe they do go over the top with the number of limited bottlings they are producing but there are some damn fine drams in amoungst them and my first taste of PC5 makes me feel there is only better to come.

Franklin Mint? No, just mint... 8)
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:22 am

Lawrence wrote:I can just imagine the howls of frustartion if Bruichladdich just a 10, a 15 and a 21.

I expect your point is that is what it was before! And 40% chillfiltered too, likely coloured, Jim Beam didn't do the whisky any favours. Even prior to new distillations, the new owners showed what you could do with better bottling standards.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:34 pm

hpulley wrote: Even prior to new distillations, the new owners showed what you could do with better bottling standards.

Yes - just add flavouring and hey presto! Maybe they could save time and trouble with recasking the whisky by just selling it in oversized bottles and having a miniature of wine (or whatever) for you to tip in yourself. Like salt'n'shake crisps or Mueller Fruit Corners.
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:37 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
hpulley wrote: Even prior to new distillations, the new owners showed what you could do with better bottling standards.

Yes - just add flavouring and hey presto! Maybe they could save time and trouble with recasking the whisky by just selling it in oversized bottles and having a miniature of wine (or whatever) for you to tip in yourself. Like salt'n'shake crisps or Mueller Fruit Corners.

I'll not be suckered into your slagfests.
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:53 pm

Nick, you are being disingenuous--you know well what Harry meant. In so doing, you give the impression that you are eager to slag anything that has anything to do with Bruichladdich just because it's Bruichladdich, and that undercuts whatever legitimate concerns you may have about them. Elsewhere you state that they are bottling "the dregs" left by previous ownership, set up the straw man of the collector who doesn't really even like the stuff, and say we shouldn't encourage them. Well, I am very pleased to encourage them. They are independent, innovative, and most of all, fun, and have bottled some excellent whiskies, whether or not they are to your taste. No, I don't love them all; I wouldn't expect to. They are a bit wild with experimentation, and not all the experiments work in every drinker's opinion. Many are dead ends, I'm sure, and some perhaps are not worth trying at all. But I'd far rather the whisky world was made up of a hundred wild Bruichladdichs, rather than a handful of safe Diageos and Pernod Ricards. It cannot be that way, of course.

As for your comment elsewhere that they have a lot to answer for, with Speysiders making peaty whiskies, etc, I can only say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Of course it doesn't mean that imitation is itself worthwhile. It reminds me of how I feel about Bill Murray. His "bad lounge singer" act on Saturday Night Live spawned an entire generation--nay, two whole generations--of comedians who think it's funny to be untalented. Well, it's not his fault that they are untalented, unfunny, and unoriginal besides. Success will always breed imitation, as anyone who has ever watched television will know. In an ideal world, the originals get the glory, and the copycats get diminishing returns. In the real world, it doesn't always happen that way (qv Elvis). Originality is a hit-or-miss affair; imitation is usually safer. I say we should reward the originals, and not punish them for the sins of their imitators.
Deactivated Member

Postby Andrew_Toronto » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:06 pm

can someone please explain the deal with Bruichladdich?

whats all the fuss aboot? (canadian!)

i always liked it! (remember "my" drink "The Hunter": "bruichladdich + i drop port!)
Andrew_Toronto

Postby hpulley » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:32 pm

Andrew_Toronto wrote:can someone please explain the deal with Bruichladdich?

whats all the fuss aboot? (canadian!)

i always liked it! (remember "my" drink "The Hunter": "bruichladdich + i drop port!)

Nothing to see here, mountain from a mole hill: they'll have oil soon and will be distilling again. Enjoy your Bruichladdichs, though you may have to drive to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick or Alberta to buy them soon (or to get anything new).

Funny, I don't think I've seen a port finished laddie!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:05 am

If they've stopped distilling because the tanker can't land on the dock, then I'd say they're port-finished.
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:02 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:If they've stopped distilling because the tanker can't land on the dock, then I'd say they're port-finished.

Priceless, simply priceless...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:57 am

Weird that Islay would be left in that circumstance with all of their whisky production. So we should see prices skyrocket soon then? Will there even be enough now for the rest of the world besides us, the Chinese and Russian markets for instance?? Time to stockpile!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:31 am

Well, there is that 10-year lag time. Or 16-year Lag time. Or five for PC.
Deactivated Member

Bruichladdich pier

Postby ApriliaKen » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:28 pm

If anyone wants to see the area around Bruichladdich and pier then there's a video on the islay blog site at http://blog.islayinfo.com/mediagallery/ ... 9161512773

Ken
Glasgow
ApriliaKen

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:36 pm

I am not sure, but the video appears to have been made before the pier renovations.
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:39 pm

i remember the peir looking diffrent the last tie i was over.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

All fuelled up

Postby ApriliaKen » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:52 pm

I've spoken to a few people on the island and it seems they are fine and dandy with Shell oil supplies that are being brought in by road tanker on the ferry.

Not so much fun for the Greens but seems to giving the goldies a bit of breathing space.

Ken
ApriliaKen

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:27 am

Aye Ken , just got this weeks Ileach in the post and there's the usual mudslinging going on and calmac trying to look like the heroes by putting on extra ferries for the tankers to get on the isle .
Great Photo on the front showing Port Askaig flooded by the bad weather , the ferry had to stand off for an hour waiting for the water to drop .
Apparently Kilchoman was the only un-affected distillery as it runs on diesel rather than heavy oil but a few of the other distilleries managed to convert from HO to DO .
Another interesting article in it was about this years Malting Barley crop , it's been a disaster on mainland europe with the weather but Scottish malting barley has had a record year !

Slainte
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Iain » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:06 am

Latest news on this from today's Scotsman...

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1038362007
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:24 am

Iain wrote:Latest news on this from today's Scotsman...

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1038362007

Thanks Iain looks like everyone's a winner in the future.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder