Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What have you NOT tasted?

General chat and talk about whisky.

What have you NOT tasted?

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:49 am

Here is my list of the 26 SMS distilleries I have not tried. I am also trying to keep it simple. A Linkwood is on the way, so soon to be down to 25. I think I will be able to find the majority fairly easily over the next few years. Would you agree that the most difficult to get (without breaking the bank) will be Ben Wyvis, Glen Flager, Glennury Royal, Kinclaith and Ladyburn?

Show your list!

Banff
Balmenach
Ben Wyvis
Benromach
Fettercairn
Glen Albyn
Glen Elgin
Glen Flager
Glen Mhor
Glen Ord
Glen Spey
Glendullan
Glenlochy
Glenlossie
Glentauchers
Glenturret
GlenNugie
Glennury Royal
Inchgower
Kinclaith
Ladyburn
Linkwood
Lochside
Miltonduff
North Port
Strathmill
Last edited by Drrich1965 on Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drrich1965
Gold Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Postby peergynt323 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:53 am

Hmmm....let me narrow this down to what I have not tasted and I want to taste in the near future:

Brora
Port Ellen
Longrow
Glengoyne
St. Magdalene
Benriach
Glen Ord (cool bottle)
peergynt323
Gold Member
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Postby Scotchio » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:00 am

Glenury is still fairly available but if you want it at it's best(from a sherry cask) I'd pick up one of the early 70s 30yr old plus Sig bottlings for around £80. The RM bottles are good but have all but disappeared now and later Glenury's tend not to be from sherry and can be a little thin. Of the ones listed Glenugie and Lochside stand out to me as distinctive and often brilliant malts which are not currently overpriced.
Scotchio
Gold Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: devon uk

Postby Scotchio » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:01 am

peergynt323 wrote:Hmmm....let me narrow this down to what I have not tasted and I want to taste in the near future:

Brora
Port Ellen
Longrow
Glengoyne
St. Magdalene
Benriach
Glen Ord (cool bottle)


You're in for a number of treats! :D
Scotchio
Gold Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: devon uk

Postby les taylor » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:20 pm

Peergynt323 wrote:-

Glen Ord (cool bottle)

It does look good and it tastes good as well. Also you don't have to break the bank to buy it.

:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:24 pm

peergynt323 wrote:Hmmm....let me narrow this down to what I have not tasted and I want to taste in the near future:

Brora
Port Ellen
Longrow
Glengoyne
St. Magdalene
Benriach
Glen Ord (cool bottle)



Well, I want to try ALL of them :wink: On our side of the pond, you can get a wonderful Brora at binnys for about $130. It is a fantastic dram. Not the peaty Brora style of the early 70s (it is a 1981, Signatory), but is floral,spicy, malty, honied, nose and mouth absolutely congruent. I bought a back up bottle as soon as the first was gone.It was the star of several tastings with friends. Binnys also has a great deal on the Blackadder St. Magdelne (Linithrow, 28yo). Under $60, and it is very good (and my two bottles seem to be void of the rumored chip adding touch).
Drrich1965
Gold Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:26 pm

Scotchio wrote:Glenury is still fairly available but if you want it at it's best(from a sherry cask) I'd pick up one of the early 70s 30yr old plus Sig bottlings for around £80. The RM bottles are good but have all but disappeared now and later Glenury's tend not to be from sherry and can be a little thin. Of the ones listed Glenugie and Lochside stand out to me as distinctive and often brilliant malts which are not currently overpriced.


Thanks for the suggustions. I have seen a resonable Lockside at my favorite store that I will check out soon.
Drrich1965
Gold Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Postby Wave » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:08 pm

Have or tasted? :lol:

I have quite a few whiskies I have yet to taste like (from your list) Banff, Glen Albyn, Glenlochy, Glenlossie, Glentauchers, & Glenury Royal among others.

These are what I neither have bottles of or tasted and would like to,
Allt A Bhainne
Ben Wyvis
Caperdonich
Convalmore
Glenburgie
Glen Flager
Glen Mhor
Glenisla
Glenturret
Inchgower
Inverleven
Killyloch
Kinclaith
Mosstowie
North Port
St. Magdalene


Cheers!
User avatar
Wave
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:57 am
Location: Illinois, USA

Postby Jan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:18 pm

Too numerous to list I'm afraid... So I wont.

It is not really a goal for me to taste every malt out there - I'm sure I will get to taste most of them as the years go by, no big deal if I miss a few.

Drrich1965 wrote: Would you agree that the most difficult to get (without breaking the bank) will be Ben Wyvis, Glen Flager, Glennury Royal, Kinclaith and Ladyburn?l


Glenury Royal is not that expensive - The Whisky Exchange has a bottling as low as £56.49.

The others though. Ouch!
Jan
Gold Member
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:15 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Postby vitara7 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:07 pm

i found 4 bottles of glen flagler in the original early 80's packaging a few months back - £11 each :shock:
vitara7
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:54 am
Location: central scotland

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:17 pm

Too many to name! Don't even know really!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Postby Scotchio » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:29 pm

vitara7 wrote:i found 4 bottles of glen flagler in the original early 80's packaging a few months back - £11 each :shock:


That's amazing ! Do you think the doctor will have noticed them missing when he got back to the tardis ? I assume you pocketed them!
Scotchio
Gold Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: devon uk

Postby vitara7 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:36 pm

when i seen them, i was all flustered, and nearly dropped one taking them to the till, i searched for more and asked if they had anymore, but they didnt, but hey, i was more than happy with the four at that price.
vitara7
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:54 am
Location: central scotland

Re: What have you NOT tasted?

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:45 am

Drrich1965 wrote:GlenNugie


My head hurts just thinking about that one....
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:08 am

These have got my curiosity, and i believe, with good reason.

i have yet to encounter:

Brora, Longrow, Mortlach(had a tiny dram at the "Nobody inn" in Devon, that has an enormous malt menu...but hardly enough t o get to know it), Port Ellen...

...and a whole heap of Ardbegs that JM goes potty over. I've had the obvious ones,17, Oogy , the youngsters and loads of the 10,AND thank God the 1977 which has trebled in price since i bought one a year ago...

...about a 1/4 left - daren't finish it!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Reigate, UK

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:04 am

You daren't not--enjoy it before it goes limp.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:43 am

Interesting -- although my single malt Scotch meanderings are a definite sidelight to my bourbon passion, I either have, or have access to, several of the items I see listed here:
I currently have open:
  • Glenturret: 16yo, 50% abv, Douglas Laing
  • Benriach: 10yo, old label, OB, 43% abv
  • Glenburgie, 12yo, 50% abv, Douglad Laing

and have access to multiples of the old-label Glen Ord 12yo -- at a very good price -- in an area liquor store, though it is no longer distributed in the U.S.
Don't ask me how that happens. It seems that Tennessee, being a whiskey-making locale, gets high regard for distribution. Lots of stuff available here.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:43 pm

TNbourbon wrote:Interesting -- although my single malt Scotch meanderings are a definite sidelight to my bourbon passion, I either have, or have access to, several of the items I see listed here:
I currently have open:
  • Glenturret: 16yo, 50% abv, Douglas Laing
  • Benriach: 10yo, old label, OB, 43% abv
  • Glenburgie, 12yo, 50% abv, Douglad Laing
and have access to multiples of the old-label Glen Ord 12yo -- at a very good price -- in an area liquor store, though it is no longer distributed in the U.S.
Don't ask me how that happens. It seems that Tennessee, being a whiskey-making locale, gets high regard for distribution. Lots of stuff available here.


Where in TN? I will be driving from Charlotte to Knoxville in the spring....
Drrich1965
Gold Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Postby Admiral » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:23 am

Mr T said,
Drrich1965 wrote:
GlenNugie

My head hurts just thinking about that one....


Why do you say that? There are some sensational Glenugies out there.

I have a particularly spectacular 25yo which is up there amongst my favourite drams.

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2717
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:01 am
Location: Australia

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:32 am

He didn't say "Glenugie"; he said "GlenNugie". Glen...Noogie.

If you have to explain it, it isn't funny! (Yeah, yeah, I know, it wasn't anyway.)
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Admiral » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:41 am

(Yeah, yeah, I know, it wasn't anyway.)


We agree on that one! :wink: :)
Admiral
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2717
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:01 am
Location: Australia

Postby Scotchio » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:52 am

Admiral wrote:Mr T said,
Drrich1965 wrote:
GlenNugie

My head hurts just thinking about that one....


Why do you say that? There are some sensational Glenugies out there.

I have a particularly spectacular 25yo which is up there amongst my favourite drams.

Cheers,
AD


Would that be the OMC 79 25 Admiral ? What makes it spectacular ?
Scotchio
Gold Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: devon uk

Postby Admiral » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:02 am

No, it was SMWS 99.10; a wonderfully sweet, fruity, malty, complex dram.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2717
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:01 am
Location: Australia

Postby Scotchio » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:53 am

That leaves me looking green eyed through the glass. I've been enjoying a nice rich sweetly sherried Chieftains Glenugie 81 just recently. I've tried a few other Glenugies,OMC DT bottlings, and enjoyed them all.Very distinctive stuff.
Scotchio
Gold Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: devon uk

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:13 am

chieftains Glen Ugie is one of my favorites too . :)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:35 pm
Location: Tunsberg Norway

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:12 pm

If I were to list all I still havent tasted It would be along list :!:
So I`ll list those I have tasted.
Ardbeg
Auchentoshan
Arran
Bowmore
Bruichladdich
Brora (ib)
Bunnahabhein
Ben Romach
Ben Nevis
Blair Atholl
Bladnoch
caol ila
Dallas dhu (ib)
Dalmore
Dalwhinnie
Edradour
Fettercairn(ib)
Glen ord
Glen morangie
Glenfiddich
Glenlivet
Glen grant
Glen garioch
Glen Ugie(ib)
Glen lossie (ib)
Glenglassaugh (ib)
Glendullan
Highland park
Imperial(ib)
Isle of jura
Lagavulin
Laphroaigh
Longmorn
Macallan
Mortlach(ib)
Old pultney
Port Ellen
Rosebank(ib)
St. Magdalene(ib)
strathisla
Springbank
scapa
Speyburn
Talisker
Tobermory (ledaig)
Tamdhu

And i assume that I will taste some more
Ann-Helen
Silver Member
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:35 pm
Location: Tunsberg Norway

Postby Tom » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:11 am

Excellent post. In all honesty I doubt the people that claim to have tasted Ben Wyvvis. The people I know that have tasted it can be count on one hand and you dont need all your fingers. On the other hand, the people I spoke to from inside the industry told me I'm not missing much...

-Ben Wyvvis
-Glen Flager
-Glenesk-Hillside

The very last on my list after quite some time of dramming, just cant find someone who can help me to a small sample. (the cheapest Ben Wyvvis I can get costs 750€, and I'm not paying that!)
Tom
Gold Member
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Belgium

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:08 am

Tom wrote:Excellent post. In all honesty I doubt the people that claim to have tasted Ben Wyvvis. The people I know that have tasted it can be count on one hand and you dont need all your fingers. On the other hand, the people I spoke to from inside the industry told me I'm not missing much...

-Ben Wyvvis
-Glen Flager
-Glenesk-Hillside

The very last on my list after quite some time of dramming, just cant find someone who can help me to a small sample. (the cheapest Ben Wyvvis I can get costs 750€, and I'm not paying that!)


That is might impressive/unimpressive list you have there :wink: Sems like Glenesk-Hillside is not that hard to find. I have also heard that GlenFlager is less than trilling. I am looking forward to the day that I have a bottle of the one on my list (a few years away, I am sure). I imagine taking it to the beach at night, mabye in Costa Rica, and opening it on a balcony overlooking the setting sun..Not a very "scotch" sounding fantasy, but what comes to me at the moment.
Drrich1965
Gold Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:48 pm

I've sampled at least one expression from each and every working Scottish distillery, plus drams from many that are closed.

Haven't yet got my hands on:-

"Ben Wyvis"
"Glen Flagler"
"Ladyburn"

But I'm told that these three are no great shakes anyway.
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:03 am

After this very nice, spicy and slightly peated Glen Mhor 23yo 1978 Scott's, I am now down to 14 SMW I have not tried, with one or two more on the way. Here is the current list. What have you not tried?

Ben Wyvis
Benromach
Glen Flager
Glen Ord
Glendullan
Glenlochy
Glentauchers
Glenturret
Inchgower
Kinclaith
Ladyburn
Lochside
Miltonduff
Strathmill
Drrich1965
Gold Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:38 am

How many working distilleries does Scotland have ..... ?????

I know it's more than 4 :lol:

I don't think that I will ever be able to have a taste from every working distillery never mind the closed ones as well. I just don't have the oppertunity or even the application to try ....

So far I've had drams from 40 different whisky distilleries which to me is a fair feat .... however I'm very impressed by some of you guys efforts :thumbsup:
User avatar
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Postby martin grant » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:04 am

Far to many distilleries left for me to try, so I won't bore you with a list.

I must also confess to having not tried much grain whisky. I had one SMWS dram that was 100% grain, but that's it. Quite keen to try something from North British, as I drive past it on a regular basis and it always smells great!
martin grant
Gold Member
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: perthshire

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:07 pm

Like many others here, there are too many distilleries I haven't tried to list them all. Among the more notable would be:

Benriach
Brora (I have an unopened bottle)
Benromach
Glengoyne
Inchgower
Ladyburn
Ledaig
Port Ellen
Rosebank
Yamazaki
Yoichi

I hope to have had a dram of the Brora and Port Ellen by year's end. And I hope to pick up some Benriach and the Yamazaki 18 in a couple of weeks. As someone said above, it is not really my goal to try every whisky out there especially as there are quite a few bottles from distilleries that I really like that I haven't tried yet.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member
 
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:36 am
Location: Roma, Italia

Postby les taylor » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:32 pm

Ardbeg311 wrote:Like many others here, there are too many distilleries I haven't tried to list them all. Among the more notable would be:

Benriach
Brora (I have an unopened bottle)
Benromach
Glengoyne
Inchgower
Ladyburn
Ledaig
Port Ellen
Rosebank
Yamazaki
Yoichi

I hope to have had a dram of the Brora and Port Ellen by year's end. And I hope to pick up some Benriach and the Yamazaki 18 in a couple of weeks. As someone said above, it is not really my goal to try every whisky out there especially as there are quite a few bottles from distilleries that I really like that I haven't tried yet.



Ardbeg311 at whisky live this year I had my first Yamazki 18, it was magnificent. My brother and I both bought a bottle each on the strength of it. You will not be dissappointed.


:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby Feldrin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:29 pm

Same here, too much to list what I haven't had. Listing what I do have would be much quicker. Amongst the notable not-tried-thingies is a wealth of cask strength whisky, mainly because I somehow used to think that it would be undrinkable at 50%+. After my first cask strength that misconception was quickly thrown out the window.

Also, Lowlands are fairly unknown to me. There don't seem to be that many distilleries over there anyway. And I've been staying away from grain and bourbon for too long I believe. My experience of (sortof) bourbon has been limited to Jack Daniel's, a drink I honestly despise and cannot possibly ever enjoy. I've got the feeling I'm missing out on something with Jack Daniel's being the lowest end of the barrel.
Feldrin
New member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Leiden, The Netherlands

Next

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder