Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Beer in a whisky cask

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: Beer in a whisky cask

Postby Iain » Sun May 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Onefortheditch wrote:That is the Paradox SOI.

Another beer in a whisky cask - Orkney Dark Island Limited Edition. 10% abv and £10 per bottle....

I was tempted, but stopped myself. £10 seemed a bit steep.

This one's for sale in the Baxter's shop next to Tullibardine Distillery, at the same price. As you say, price is a bit steep, and at 10 pc abv it might be a wee bit on the heavy/sticky side? I decided not to indulge, but I'd love to hear from someone who has done so.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Sun May 04, 2008 6:24 pm

randall fairbrook wrote:Image

am right now drinking harvestoun special reserve old engine oil 8% - aged in SMW casks for 6 months...

malt/chocolate nose....

chocolate and anise on first taste....cannot get much in the way of malt whisky taste..the licorice is kind of overbearing...

I can report that the standard Old Engine Oil is an excellent "wee heavy".
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby andyt » Sun May 04, 2008 6:36 pm

Iain wrote:
Onefortheditch wrote:That is the Paradox SOI.

Another beer in a whisky cask - Orkney Dark Island Limited Edition. 10% abv and £10 per bottle....

I was tempted, but stopped myself. £10 seemed a bit steep.

This one's for sale in the Baxter's shop next to Tullibardine Distillery, at the same price. As you say, price is a bit steep, and at 10 pc abv it might be a wee bit on the heavy/sticky side? I decided not to indulge, but I'd love to hear from someone who has done so.

Had this last night and drinking it again now. Quite viscous as you might expect but packed with lots of coffee, black treacle and chocolate flavours, only £8.99 at Brodie Country Fayre. Says on the bottle that it was matured in Orkney single malt casks, head to head with the Paradox Islay cask I would say the Paradox wins by a nose.
andyt
Silver Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder